DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

Man, I had a whole writeup for Storm/Blue but the board ate it. Long story short (which is probably for the best anyway), the match was the right move within the confines of the AEW house style but suffers from trying to get Toni over while keeping Skye viable when these things should be done in separate matches. I think Toni should be squashing people in 2 minutes to show how much more dangerous her new persona is than her old one, the vignettes were a good start but after that you have to establish the wrestler in the ring too. At the same time, Skye can lose more competitively against someone like Willow to keep her streak going and possibly turn evil while providing a bump to a future contender. I don't think serving two purposes in one match does either women any favors and yet with only one match a show they don't have time to focus on just one wrestler. As a result of trying to keep everyone over, none of them can get over as much as they could be, part of the self-fulfilling prophecy of "women don't draw" and "women hurt the ratings"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hail Hydra.

I gotta imagine it was intentional that they had MJF say in his promo early in the show, when recapping his four years of exploits "I almost got us thrown off TV by calling my boss an effin' mark" only for Christian to drop the full F bomb here - if not, what a tremendous bit of coincidence; I thought really added a bit of extra heft to the 'GFY'

• Like 3

On 10/4/2023 at 7:16 AM, Matt D said:
  • Fenix vs Nick Jackson
  • Omega/Jericho vs Takeshita/Sammy
  • Copeland speaks

Not so great so far.

New Era has classy cigar smoking, suit wearing, classy Samoa Joe, classy though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Octopus said:

New Era has classy cigar smoking, suit wearing, classy Samoa Joe, classy though. 

I dug the shit outta that vignette, and I'd like to see them do more from Joe's penthouse (I think that's a step up from Joe's Apartment).

Hell, I wouldn't mind them going full Mafia III with it - giving him a little crew of guys that he bosses around from up there might help Joe stick around longer physically, *and* still keeps him as a steady TV presence (without flying him in every week, so you're saving a couple bucks in travel too) win/win/win, to me

• Like 3

I didn't know they were going to be running a show in Stockton until it got mentioned on the PPV. As soon as I heard that I had a feeling the crowd wasn't going to give a shit. When my friend was a professor for Kansas University, one of his big projects was trying to improve the school system in Stockton. He had to take 5 or so trips from KC to there and came back disappointed every time. In a chat with our friends, he was like, "look at this shit" and posted an image from Google maps and it was a pretty large area of Stockton where every street had a tire shop on it. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

So yeah, the crowd sucked like I thought they would, but hey, I got to hear Juice say "I'VE GOT A ROCK HARD TAINT" on live TV only to be nearly outdone by his wife yelling going into a commercial break that she was going to slap the titties off of Skye Blue.

I don't think anyone in wrestling makes me laugh nearly as much as Juice and Toni do. They're like Yano-tier at this point. They really are just trying to outdo each other every week.

• Like 8

Christian and Edge didn't disappoint. Edge hyping the fuck out of what we want to see. Christian... taking a big dump on it as succinctly as possible.

The detail about Christian getting the surfer Sting rat tail hightop and Edge keeping his locks Lex Luger style, was the most beautiful best friend stuff. And Edge was proud to tell that story like that spirit is why they are so great. They are us, they just actually became pro wrestlers.

How cool must it be for Nick Wayne to be in the middle of this? Did you guys see how that kid bumped for the spear? Looked like a million bucks. I haven't really watched much of his work, but he looks like a perfect lackey already. Was Nick Wayne even alive when Edge and Christian were a tag team?

Wardlow beating the ever fuck out of a guy until the ref just calls it and then stomping through the crowd is the BEST Wardlow.

Juice Robinson.

That's it. Juice. Fuckin'. Robinson.

• Like 7

I didn't love the "Jay" bit out of Copeland. I think it was unnecessary even if he could get away with it. It just raises too many questions, like... why does Jay Reso call himself Christian Cage in the first place, etc.? The other thing I didn't love was him saying that Sting entertained people for 40 years. It should have been that Sting fought for them, etc. It's like watching a robot try to escape it's programming. 

It's also funny that on one level, Christian is so good and so over right now that he doesn't need this! It almost feels like Adam needs Christian more than Christian needs him. On another level, I know that's silly and how big a star Edge is relatively and that it's a testament to Christian that he's immediately on the same level of him. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I didn't love the "Jay" bit out of Copeland. I think it was unnecessary even if he could get away with it. It just raises too many questions, like... why does Jay Reso call himself Christian Cage in the first place, etc.? The other thing I didn't love was him saying that Sting entertained people for 40 years. It should have been that Sting fought for them, etc. It's like watching a robot try to escape it's programming. 

It's also funny that on one level, Christian is so good and so over right now that he doesn't need this! It almost feels like Adam needs Christian more than Christian needs him. On another level, I know that's silly and how big a star Edge is relatively and that it's a testament to Christian that he's immediately on the same level of him. 

The Jay naming was a weird sticking point with me too but I think it's because I'm old. I feel like we've reached that point in the imaginary universe of pro wrestling logic, that people use aliases and it's common knowledge. Especially in a fanbase for a company that uses former WWE wrestlers under different names.

And if any generation can get that idea, it would be the current ones who live understanding that they're not just people, but individual brands.

As for the fight for me vs. entertain... I agree, but only because "Fight" sounds so much more dramatic and passionate.  I'd rather hear about people fighting for something than "well I just show up to put smiles on people's faces."

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

As for the fight for me vs. entertain... I agree, but only because "Fight" sounds so much more dramatic and passionate.  I'd rather hear about people fighting for something than "well I just show up to put smiles on people's faces."

I agree. Reminded of Aussie Open’s promo last week about being held back from stealing the show and FTR admitting their opponents had to be fed to other teams for storyline reasons but NOW they can have the match they want because there’s a slot on a PPV

• Like 1

Part of me thinks best friends in real life feuding is a little weird. 

But then, since we know Jay's real personality from years of stuff like the E&C podcast, you can be sure these Teo likely had fights growing up because Adam could only take so much of Jay's behavior before being pushed too far. 

Question:

Was last night the first time that Toni Storm did the "HOW. DARE. YOOOOOU?" reaction to a ref counting a near fall?

Because I want that catch on until everyone chants it with her.

• Like 4

I would buy a Toni Storm "Titty Slapper" shirt in a minute but was her breaking fourth wall and telling the television audience to watch the messages from the lovely sponsors right before Picture-In-Picture really necessary?

How the fuck does she know when they are going to make the cut?  It's not like she's in an MMA match where the combatants can see the fight clock

Toni going out of her way to shill kinda fits within the context of her Marlene Dietrich gimmick, but it was still rather business exposing.  Part of my enjoyment of the pro wrestling is knowing it's a lie and accepting it because none of the participants drop hints that what I am watching is a lie..

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The other thing I didn't love was him saying that Sting entertained people for 40 years.

Same here.  That's the Vincefication of wrestling language and it's everywhere.  When I hear a guy say "compete" when "wrestle" or "fight" would work just fine, I get a little ill.  To say nothing of "championship opportunity."

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Same here.  That's the Vincefication of wrestling language and it's everywhere.  When I hear a guy say "compete" when "wrestle" or "fight" would work just fine, I get a little ill.  To say nothing of "championship opportunity."

Whenever Bryan Danileson, Mox, or Eddie Kingston says the words "I'll fight you any time, any place" during a broadcast, an angel gets its wings.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I would buy a Toni Storm "Titty Slapper" shirt in a minute but was her breaking fourth wall and telling the television audience to watch the messages from the lovely sponsors right before Picture-In-Picture really necessary?

How the fuck does she know when they are going to make the cut?  It's not like she's in an MMA match where the combatants can see the fight clock.

That's a solid point. I think it could make a fun catchphrase if it's sprinkled in at other points in a match, if it becomes a habit before going to PiP then yeah it's a little much. She already has 'How dare you?', 'I'm ready for my closeup' and 'titty slap' so she could drop this one

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Those of you watching on teevee missed out on Toni calling out "Tit slap!" before she chopped Skye on the outside during the commercial.

I brought it up. On YTTV it sounded like TITTIES right before it cut to commercial.

She’s doing the lord’s work. And her husband who has a rock hard taint.