DVDVR Message Board

CHICA(EW)GO TV - 8/30 - 9/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Steamboat came out of retirement late last year for a trios match with FTR against Brock Anderson, Jay Lethal, & Nick Aldis. I thought last week on Collision that Starks still carrying around the strap he used on Steamboat definitely felt like a build to that as a match. I don't know if I see it actually happening, but I definitely hope so now!

Very promo heavy show tonight but I enjoyed it and everything that got set up for the future. Matches were all solid. Main event was fun. Laughed at the Dueling Canadian Destroyers match. The last Fear Factor actually had me worried for Orange's reign. Thought Orange ending promo was pretty excellent and look forward to him vs Moxley. I hope Orange retains again but it's certainly up in the air against Moxley. 

Strong continues to be hilarious. "AAAAAAADAAAAAAAMMMM".  Looking forward to the first Better Than You Bay Bay ROH tag defense at All Out. Cool that Shane Taylor/Samoa Joe gets a big stage like that

• Like 5

I DVR'd tonight's show since I had to have my 2nd cat Cleo put to sleep at 8 pm. It doesn't get any easier putting the second one to sleep. Anything worth checking out from tonight's show or should I just watch the whole show? Like Layne Staley said, "I'm not fine, fuck pretending."

• Sad 8

Cover your ears, Paul, for what I am about to say.

They really should have pulled the trigger and had Penta win the championship. I really like OC but I think his title run has run its course. Winning matches by getting killed and sneaking out a win is fine, but when it happens week after week the same way it becomes too much. There is no way he should be kicking out of what Penta was throwing at him, and at some point it crosses over from funny/entertaining to head shaking.

Anyway, the show was *fine* but didn't feel like the knockout they needed as they have another PPV to push in a few days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Decent show considering how promo heavy it was.

All Out looks like a good card to me. Real solid undercard with the top acts doing tag work and other guys getting a chance to shine. Two big hoss fights with Hobbs/Miro and Joe/Taylor. Mox/OC could go either way. I could see Mox being too much for wounded OC, or OC sneaking out another win (getting 3 of the 4 BCC members in a 3 week stretch), then having Danielson be the final boss if he's close to coming back. The Steamboat thing is obviously a setup for someone else to answer the challenge. No clue who really fits if they're keeping Punk off the show. Hangman would be a good fit stylistically, but no way he's getting any support in Chicago taking Punk's spot. Wardlow could be dusted off I guess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gorman said:

You never know. I'm surprised that I'll be attending Collision at the Cleveland Cavaliers' arena a week from Saturday when that has always been a WWF/E building.

I'm surprised they're running the arena formally known as The Q when they've never been able to fill the Wolstein Center

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I DVR'd tonight's show since I had to have my 2nd cat Cleo put to sleep at 8 pm. It doesn't get any easier putting the second one to sleep. Anything worth checking out from tonight's show or should I just watch the whole show? Like Layne Staley said, "I'm not fine, fuck pretending."

Check out Eddie vs Yuta. Give the main a look if you’re not averse to either Penta or Orange. You can miss everything else. 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I was excited to see Bryan Keith get a shot on AEW TV against Hangman Page but then I remember seeing how Kevin Ku was used and yeah not that confident.  Keith has been a really big star on the indies in the last couple years

Ku’s match was totally unannounced. He was going against Hobbs who has only been doing squashes. Keith got a graphic and Hangman doesn’t do a ton of squashes. I can see Keith getting some shine. Looking forward to seeing how he does. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I was excited to see Bryan Keith get a shot on AEW TV against Hangman Page but then I remember seeing how Kevin Ku was used and yeah not that confident.  Keith has been a really big star on the indies in the last couple years

I still don’t get this line of thinking. Billie Starkz debuted in a similar manner to Ku, albeit it was somewhat less of a squash versus Britt Baker, and Billie ended up signed eventually and is currently “feuding” with Athena for the ROH Women’s title.

10 hours ago, just drew said:

By that standard, adam Cole was the 3rd best promo in that interminably long segment. Bennett and Taven came off as credible, and Bennett’s delivery was actually pretty strong. Cole came off like he always does; a pubescent trying to sound tough while talking shit on Xbox live. I don’t believe he’s a top guy, and I don’t believe that deep down he believes he’s a top guy. I’ll be curious to see the number he does without MJF to prop him up. 

Yeah, I thought Bennett was pretty great there.  Taven had good material but his delivery didn't really match.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Steamboat thing is obviously a setup for someone else to answer the challenge. No clue who really fits if they're keeping Punk off the show. Hangman would be a good fit stylistically, but no way he's getting any support in Chicago taking Punk's spot. Wardlow could be dusted off I guess.

I wish FTR weren't paired up with the Bucks so they could do a double strap match with Starks and BIG BILL for Steamboat's honor.  

Is Richie Steamboat healthy?

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Cover your ears, Paul, for what I am about to say.

They really should have pulled the trigger and had Penta win the championship. I really like OC but I think his title run has run its course. Winning matches by getting killed and sneaking out a win is fine, but when it happens week after week the same way it becomes too much. There is no way he should be kicking out of what Penta was throwing at him, and at some point it crosses over from funny/entertaining to head shaking.

Look, I'm as casual an AEW watcher as you'll find... but I've watched like 4 of OC's matches during this title reign.  And I think all of them have ended in Honky Tonk Man finishes.  Last night was no exception.  

I get he's doing the "I'm getting more and more injured after every match during this title reign" story right now but...  come on.  It's pro wrestling.   Is the belt a fucking magical object that casts +50 power and +50 cunning while having a -100 healing?    Like when he finally loses the belt, are all of these injuries going to instantly vanish?  

Then the promo afterwards... that's a Roman Reigns promo, that's an MJF promo. He's doing it for the 4th most important singles belt in the fed.  He's setting the minor league home run record. And yes, it's a relatively new belt in a relatively new fed, but I just think a mid-card title isn't the thing you should hang your hat on. *  I think he may have been going for irony, but I really had to chew on it for a while to come up with that thought. 

I get his gimmick is he's a good wrestler who doesn't care.  But now when he does care about something, I want nothing more than Mox to annihilate him. Though what I'm guessing Tony's going for in this match (which, is probably the main event for All Out) is Cassidy's big main event gatekeeping.  Giving Mox everything he can handle to show that he's ready to move up, and losing the belt (because he has to, eventually).  

--

* - For what it's worth, I also hate GUNTHER breaking Honky's record if he wins on Saturday.  There's something absolutely right about a career mid-carder having the longest title reign for a mid-card belt. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Though what I'm guessing Tony's going for in this match (which, is probably the main event for All Out) is Cassidy's big main event gatekeeping.  Giving Mox everything he can handle to show that he's ready to move up, and losing the belt (because he has to, eventually).  

This. And it'll be a pleasure to watch.

OC’s done nothing this year that I’m itching to revisit, but Bret won a significant number of his matches with flash pins, and I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re going for rather HTM. Also, right now the International title has been presented on tv way better than the TNT title this year. I’m assuming like Matt is that Darby’s going to get the TNT back and spend the rest of the year being the tv ace, but that’s where it’s at right now. 

Mox should and will likely go over, but him putting over OC at some point will be so much more productive than laying down for people who don’t need the rub like Punk or won’t get anything out of it because of booking like Page. 

I don't think OC's finishes can be called "Honky Tonk Man finishes". HTM was winning by cheating, using underhanded tactics to skate by. OC has been presented as being wily and tough. He finds ways to win despite being outmatched physically. You can't ever be sure you've put him away. He's not causing his opponent to slip on a banana peel, he's beating them. They're just not expecting it.

• Like 1

Unhinged Toni Storm continues to rule. 

I need more of the Nyla/Emi/Marina tandem. Like what are their team meetings like? 

I feel like Ruby has been on a roll lately. I almost wouldn't mind her stealing a win over Stat. 

• Like 2

Regarding the International Title, I think OC has elevated that thing well above the TNT title. I look at the International Title as being just below the singles World titles in terms of importance. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1