DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's not a totally invalid question to ask if the framing were more of a business conversation on whether AEW would take a noticable financial hit for publicly doing the right thing - but this smells a little too much like incendiary false concern to me to be that conversation. Like an 'Im just asking questions!' sort of thing, when you know damn fucking well the answer. Not sure if maybe he was going for the former, and landed at the latter - best case scenario, arguably - but it's disappointing to say the least (especially during Pride). But hey ol' Dutch got the clicks and social engagement, and isn't that what REALLY matters

He didn't get the clicks and social engagement though. He got ratioed and humiliated by Brody King.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Super-niche storyline idea for one of these prodigy young wrestlers: back in the 1960s, Major League Baseball had a bonus rule requiring anybody signed for more than (x) to remain on a major league roster for 2 seasons. Well, in that spirit, a storyline where some new wrestler signed for "so much" that they have to stick around the main shows instead of getting seasoned on the shows that weren't actually on TV.

Basically, "take your lumps up here instead of being put in ROH". On paper, it's a dumb idea (so was the bonus rule) but maybe it could build an underdog, or it might accidentally make the guy seem like a jobber from the start. I think the inverse version would be "making someone seem like Action Andretti by giving them a huge win in their debut and then not doing much with them after that"

Anyways... congrats to Nick Wayne on his upcoming "Wild Boys" tag team with Hook.

• Like 2

This is another week for people who love matches getting announced. 

We only have four matches for Forbidden Door so far. We have nothing for Rampage. We have nothing for Collision. There will be an ROH taping before Collision. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, AxB said:

He didn't get the clicks and social engagement though. He got ratioed and humiliated by Brody King.

Lol you make an excellent point there. I was just raging out because it sucks! I liked Dutch, I always found him pretty level-headed. But I guess it's like the old Bill Burr joke about the Duck Dynasty guy saying anti-gay marriage stuff a few years back: "He's a 75 old man from Louisiana; what did you think he thought?"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

One of my favourite Eddie Kingston videos. Kingston vs. Michael Jordan. NSFW.

Spoken like a true Knicks fan of a certain era (I'd be even more profane and less respectful)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

This is another week for people who love matches getting announced. 

We only have four matches for Forbidden Door so far. We have nothing for Rampage. We have nothing for Collision. There will be an ROH taping before Collision. 

I'm DYING to see what we get for Collision. Hopefully some more NJPW vs AEW matches!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm DYING to see what we get for Collision. Hopefully some more NJPW vs AEW matches!

Same. Thinking Samoa Joe vs. Tomohiro Ishii. Hope Tetsuya Naito makes it this time. Naito, Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega were the biggest absentees at the inaugural show.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

About to contact my nearest emergency room for an erection lasting longer than four hours. Put it in my veins 

Tough and hard, indeed.

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Log said:

What’s a Blind Eliminatior Tournament?

I'm assuming it means it's like the FA Cup, where you get drawn against an opponent at random each round, rather than there being a bracket. Which is actually quite a good idea considering how predictable brackets make most wrestling tourneys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1