DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

This split roster stuff for a company like AEW is just stupid. Can't we just lock everyone in a room until they agree not to kill each other? Tony still probably reads this board. He needs to put this shit to a rest. Splitting things up would just be a band aid on an arterial bleed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

This split roster stuff for a company like AEW is just stupid. Can't we just lock everyone in a room until they agree not to kill each other? Tony still probably reads this board. He needs to put this shit to a rest. Splitting things up would just be a band aid on an arterial bleed.

You'd have to assume that he tried? We are probably too tainted by being wrestling fans and seeing how much drama takes place. At most employers, if two employees got into a fist fight, even if no fault was found those two employees wouldn't be on the same shift going forward unless they made up. I think we can figure that TK has tried as best he can to get them all to shake hands and move on, and maybe down the road it will still happen, but if Matt Jackson says "I don't want to work with the guy that knocked me out backstage" especially with legal and whatever else involved there probably isn't much TK can do about it.

I normally believe in acting like a professional and putting aside differences while at work, but this is an exception.  If the Bucks and Omega don’t want to work with Punk, well, that’s a reasonable reaction and the correct thing to do is not work with him.  Reap what you sow and all that.  I’ve got zero faith a roster split is going to work.  I’m kinda surprised TK is supposedly going to go that route.

I’m skeptical of a Saturday night show in general, particularly during football season.  Lol, I guess AEW’s target audience is home a lot more than I am.  I’m probably free a couple Saturdays a year.  Some of them are holidays.  I’ll probably end up barely watching the new show even if I want to.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

18 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Then put the Elites dressing room on one side and punks on the other and tell them not to sit next to each other at catering 

Everybody gets dressed off site at different secret locations and is bussed in to do their segment and leave. Maybe use the hypersleep chambers from the Alien movies to keep people from going on social media between shows. 

• Haha 2

The rumored Saturday night timeslot is definitely death, regardless of who is on the show. Even back when WWE was pulling much better ratings, their special NBC Saturday night events were seen as a ratings disappointment, its just one of the hardest nights of the week even without sports. Then add in football and it just seems like a bad idea. I enjoy AEW but I don't know if another two hour weekly TV show is what either they or WWE need right now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The rumored Saturday night timeslot is definitely death

I don't think it is more than late Friday night, at least for wrestling fans. WWE basically decided it's more lucrative for them to run their PLEs on Saturday as opposed to Sunday unless it's a two night event like WrestleMania. I think the reason why is there is bigger available pool of viewers to pull from because of sports. During the week, you're competing against a lot of first run programming on top of news and most shows that have a dedicated core of viewers. If I am sports fan, once the Bama game or the UGA game is a blowout, I am more likely to start clicking over. There have been MANY a UFC fight or boxing card where it's between fights or during a boring fight where I am just channel surfing. Any night on TV is bad if you're not FBI: Tunisia on CBS or Chicago Whatever on NBC that automatically gets 3+ million viewers or a top reality/competition show. That doesn't mean you stop trying to create new programming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I normally believe in acting like a professional and putting aside differences while at work, but this is an exception.  If the Bucks and Omega don’t want to work with Punk, well, that’s a reasonable reaction and the correct thing to do is not work with him.  Reap what you sow and all that.

I quite honestly would be fine with not seeing Punk again. The formula with him got old quick. Young guy with some buzz behind his name is announced as Punk's opponent. They have a 20 minute back and forth match. Punk hits the GTS and wins. Rinse, repeat. No thanks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

if Matt Jackson says "I don't want to work with the guy that knocked me out backstage" 

Wait, he got knocked out now? When did that change. All of these months, he got punched in the face and now all of a sudden he got shoot KO'ed? By CM Punk, who sucker punched a fan on TV and made his face warm?

• Haha 1

Count me in amongst the group who woul be happy if Punk never, ever showed back up in AEW again.  I'm not even a huge Buck guy(Love Omega though), it's more of a "how long until he loses his smile again, buries the company and shits in the pool"  Dude is an overrated primadonna.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Wait, he got knocked out now? When did that change. All of these months, he got punched in the face and now all of a sudden he got shoot KO'ed? By CM Punk, who sucker punched a fan on TV and made his face warm?

Punk gave Matt a GTS after Matt pulled a knife on a dog again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Punk gave Matt a GTS after Matt pulled a knife on a dog again.

Comes in 2nd on “Worst Things You Can Do To A Dog In Professional Wrestling” behind Mr. Fuji.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

AEW probably needs Punk more than Punk needs AEW. I know I'm stating the obvious, here, but whatever. 

It feels truer now than three months ago. Jericho isn’t going to make the young guys into what they need to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I don't think Punk fits that bill either

Agreed. Not trying to be a dick, or come off wrong, because even though I'm pissed off at Punk I still recognize his value in terms of the on-screen and the financials and all that, but in all seriousness, bell to bell what could any of these kids learn from him that a guy like Joe or Danielson or Mox couldn't teach? 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
On this note, I recommend everyone check out Mox on Renee's pod a few weeks ago, because it was really cool to hear him talk about how he's kind of finding a passion for coaching, and building a gym at their house and that sort of thing.
  • Like 4