DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Err..I dunno about that. Fighting backstage in Hartford. Not wanting to take Diesel's jacknife powerbomb. Intentionally going past the time he was suppose to talk to the point where Raw went off air and what was suppose to happen didn't place before the show ended. Some of the hissy fits he threw in WCW. Most of the time? You can still argue probably not, but I can give you that. Always? Hell no.

I just don't see Bret saying "I'm not working with these guys, I need my own show" because he hated Flair, he hated HBK and he hated Hogan but he was willing to work with all of them. But yeah, Bret was not a saint.  

Tony absolutely should not cave on dudes having their own shows and combinations of Punk/Omega,  FTR/Bucks,  Punk/Hangman,  etc. should all be matches that are on the table. They make sense for the business side of things. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I just don't see Bret saying "I'm not working with these guys, I need my own show" because he hated Flair, he hated HBK and he hated Hogan but he was willing to work with all of them. But yeah, Bret was not a saint.  

Tony absolutely should not cave on dudes having their own shows and combinations of Punk/Omega,  FTR/Bucks,  Punk/Hangman,  etc. should all be matches that are on the table. They make sense for the business side of things. 

Bret also started wrestling in the 1970s. He was like 20 or 21 years old on Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS. He came up in a totally different era than most of these dudes now. By the time 1997 rolled around, he had been around for two decades. He been hardened and super jaded by the business something fierce by then. If he could get away with it (being on separate shows), he probably would. He's probably not the best example seeing he shares some of the same traits as a CM Punk.

As far as Tony caving, they have like infinity number people on the roster. I have no dog in the fight so I don't give a fuck if they do 5 different brands. Either way, I am still watching and damn near everyone else will as well. If it leads to more people getting exposure, more time for green talent to get ring time, multiple women's matches throughout the week on national TV, and more importantly backstage drama ceasing I'm all for it. Even if there wasn't this Robert E. Lee at Appomattox moment, AEW was probably headed that direction sooner rather than later. This probably escalated it. 

47 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

AEW as of a couple months ago was going to start running Saturday house shows, but then Tony showed up to the first one and it was filmed

If Tony can't even let Jarrett run house shows without micromanaging them, then you might as well sell the Saturday shows to television

It was filmed because it set up an angle on the following Dynamite. Hard to say he's micromanaging with just the one under the belt.

I don't think Brandon Cuttler of all people would be stepping out of line to throw shots and keep a fight going.

Starting to smell like a work. The Punk IG rant on Moxley. The flood of Punk rumors on a return. Cuttler & Jericho openly "shit talking". Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. But the long con is definitely a tool in the AEW tool bag. Remember FTR re-signed in November and they kept the worked shooty stuff going until that title switch. Who knows. But I hope Punk comes back and I hope everyone gets along, works together, and makes a lot of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Tay is determined to get an angle dammit. You can only drown your sorrows at Dave and Busters so many times

It was in reference to Cutler quote tweeting the Deadline tweet of "CM Punk is Gaslighting AEW" with someone gets it.

18 hours ago, twiztor said:

brand splits are fucking stupid. Coach Tony doesn't even have a "split" between his two ACTUAL separate brands. and think about how much he likes bringing in people from other promotions. you think he's going to split his own brand while crossing over with AAA/NJPW/ROH/Impact/etc?

I agree, even before all the tension was public I thought it would have been good idea to make him almost exclusive to Rampage. He debuted on that show and he and Danielson even wrestled matches their first few months in when TK made a conscious effort for it to be a strong show and drawing good numbers. 

With this new show they can do the same idea keep Punk exclusive, "soft brand split" gives me an idea that it's just a short number of people that would be away from Punk for it to be looked at like two different main shows. Tony knows the last thing they need is something critics can say they are copying WWE by doing something that resembles a "Brand Extension". Who knows maybe some of those guys might finally want to do business after he's back actively on the roster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, porksweats said:

It was in reference to Cutler quote tweeting the Deadline tweet of "CM Punk is Gaslighting AEW" with someone gets it.

She's denying that on twitter.

https://twitter.com/taymelo/status/1646995670048333825

19 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think Brandon Cuttler of all people would be stepping out of line to throw shots and keep a fight going.

While I'm not keen to parse at this moment who might be working and who forgot to switch to their burner, Cutler's shown a willingness to clown on Jim Ross in public in the past. Do with that that you will.

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While I'm not keen to parse at this moment who might be working and who forgot to switch to their burner, Cutler's shown a willingness to clown on Jim Ross in public in the past. Do with that that you will.

That brings about a good question - who does Punk demand as his commentary team for Saturday Night Collision? JR and Taz?

7 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

That brings about a good question - who does Punk demand as his commentary team for Saturday Night Collision? JR and Taz?

The person in the position of needing to make good just to get back to TV might not have a say in such personnel decisions. 

It's safe to assume that for the time being, Excalibur is the lead commentator on all AEW TV -- including prospective new shows.

Trent has added onto the Twitter pile, but deleted it. Something to the effect of “I’ll now be using this platform to manipulate” or something.

It’ll be a shame when Danhausen gets split from the Best Friends to be on the Punk show, but hey, whatever. Punkhausen will rule Saturdays.

• Like 1

There’s a fair amount of good wrestling going on while all this bullshit is happening (I say fair amount because Rampage was 50-50’). And at the end of the day, if I can keep Kenny Omega at the cost of the Bucks and Punk? Shrug. If it’s Punk or Omega, harder choice.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Can Tony not start fining people for saying shit on Twitter?  If something "leaks" out then whatever but using your platform to shit on the company or using your platform to speak about backstage issues should not be happening at this point. 

I think it was in the observer where they said there’s an official rule in the employee handbook that you can’t criticize coworkers or the company on social media.  And everyone got a refresher on it supposedly after the punk ig post. This shit is so dumb. If you split everyone, and allow everyone to post shit, this will continue forever. 

Edited by matt925

If we're getting The Elite/Adam Page vs. Blackpool Combat Club in Blood and Guts and or Anarchy in the Arena, I really hope Blood and Guts stays in the cage for the first time. I hate when action goes outside the cage barring two exceptions. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker in the first Hell in a Cell, a ***** match, both Michaels best match ever and Undertaker's best match ever and The Undertaker vs. Mankind.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3