DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm suddenly excited about a cross promotion match with Orange Cassidy and Brian Cage dressed in a giant Gremlin outfit.

How about John Silver as the mogwai and Cage as the gremlin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like Danhausen could make hay out of a Gremlins promotion. I had no idea there was new Gremlins coming out, and am quite excited. I inexplicably find the Gremlins theme song to be one of the most moving pieces of music ever recorded. It just seems to sum up the ever hopeful but ultimately doomed, chaotic tragi-comedy that is humanity. And also the film Gremlins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, matt925 said:

But what the article goes into is that hbo has one of the lowest amount of time spent on the app per user compared to the other streaming services. Hbo viewers go in, watch their must see show, and then don’t go in the rest of the week. They frame reality tv as more passive viewing, where people watch hgtv or whatever while folding the laundry. WBD is hoping the addition of that type of content will get people on the app two, three or four times per week. 

The content addition is fine and it's obviously beneficial to make service a more regular part of people lives and viewing habits. But I keep sitting with it, and I see no benefit to ditching the HBO name. What's to be gained by taking a brand that's represented quality, prestige, and relevance in the medium for decades... and hiding it? This would be like Disney+ just being named Plus, rather than using the value of the Disney name for the service up top and including tabs for NatGeo and Star stuff within. My being able to watch The Bear and The Americans on D+ wouldn't be a justification to ditch the value of the Disney name. 

One wonders if there's some stupid idea that the HBO brand is unappealing to some hypothetical, imaginary middle-American who thinks stuff like Succession is too high brow or some shit. The last line of the NYT article you referenced certainly suggests that:

“Dropping HBO from the name is cementing that ‘we’re not just a home for premium programming,’” Ms. Alexander said. “‘We’re the home for anything you want to watch.’”

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The content addition is fine and it's obviously beneficial to make service a more regular part of people lives and viewing habits. But I keep sitting with it, and I see no benefit to ditching the HBO name. What's to be gained by taking a brand that's represented quality, prestige, and relevance in the medium for decades... and hiding it? This would be like Disney+ just being named Plus, rather than using the value of the Disney name for the service up top and including tabs for NatGeo and Star stuff within. My being able to watch The Bear and The Americans on D+ wouldn't be a justification to ditch the value of the Disney name. 

One wonders if there's some stupid idea that the HBO brand is unappealing to some hypothetical, imaginary middle-American who thinks stuff like Succession is too high brow or some shit. The last line of the NYT article you references certainly suggests that:

This is reason why I was baffled HBO boxing (granted, the quality of the fights had dropped year over year for the last 5+ years) was dropped five or six years ago for the sake of "storytelling". If the people who had taken over then had actually watched boxing on HBO even in the lean last years, they would have known that HBO added so much storytelling to their boxing programming that made it casual fan friendly and for the vast majority of their run, hardcore fight fan friendly. That's what made it the symbol of excellence for sports programming even beyond premium cable. It was the storytelling, the production, and the drama that you're not going to get watching Billiards at 3 p.m. on ESPN2 or when poker was all the rage fifteen years ago. 

You're not going to fool people. You're still the same channel they gave people Real Sex, Taxi Cab Confessions, G-String Divas, and Pimps Up, Ho's Down. And guess what? That didn't diminish what HBO was. It separated it from the pretenders, especially in the 90s and early 2000s when everyone was trying to be edgy and controversial.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Per Fightful, sounds like CM Punk is indeed coming back and Kenny and the Bucks are close to re-upping their deals.

Sure. Fuck it. Let's go.

It’s important to consider if this is information obtained before or after the Instagram post by Punk.

Disclosure: I haven’t seen the full story, only snippets on Reddit. So maybe it’s clarified when this info was obtained.

I also read that the Elite aren’t really up to working with him, and Punk has agreed to keep away from them.

AEW Dynamite and Collision brand split incoming!

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is reason why I was baffled HBO boxing (granted, the quality of the fights had dropped year over year for the last 5+ years) was dropped five or six years ago for the sake of "storytelling". If the people who had taken over then had actually watched boxing on HBO even in the lean last years, they would have known that HBO added so much storytelling to their boxing programming that made it casual fan friendly and for the vast majority of their run, hardcore fight fan friendly. That's what made it the symbol of excellence for sports programming even beyond premium cable. It was the storytelling, the production, and the drama that you're not going to get watching Billiards at 3 p.m. on ESPN2 or when poker was all the rage fifteen years ago.

Al Haymon did a hostile takeover of the US market by starting PBC - they had no choice

5 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Punk as a Bret Hart super-mark would absolutely love to say he sold out Wembley Stadium

Part of me believes,  Tony Khan even booking a major PPV at Wimbley Stadium was his way to get Punk to work a major match with one of the Elite. 

5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Part of me believes,  Tony Khan even booking a major PPV at Wimbley Stadium was his way to get Punk to work a major match with one of the Elite. 

From everything the sheets have said, I don’t think you need to convince Punk to work with them. It’s the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Shouldn’t that say Kenny? As he’s the only one Punk could conceivably work a singles match with? Punk won’t work Hangman (and I’m sure the feeling is mutual), and nobody is buying a ticket to see either Jackson vs Punk one on one. Or are you suggesting we get the true dream matchup of CM Punk vs Michael Nakazawa? That might draw 50-100 people.

What has been the best OC match since his run started? I think is is the Jeff Jarrett match but I also love that the one person who arguably came closest to solving the puzzle was Kip Sabian who leaned into his ridiculous shtick. But man they have all ruled so much.

And when was the last time anyone had weekly stretches of TV matches this good? Dragon in WWE? Maybe even The Shield? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

What has been the best OC match since his run started? I think is is the Jeff Jarrett match but I also love that the one person who arguably came closest to solving the puzzle was Kip Sabian who leaned into his ridiculous shtick. But man they have all ruled so much.

And when was the last time anyone had weekly stretches of TV matches this good? Dragon in WWE? Maybe even The Shield? 

First question: PAC at AEW Revolution 2020, Will Ospreay at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022, or Buddy Matthews on last night's AEW Dynamite. I'd go with Ospreay.

Second question: Bret Hart in 1994, Rey Mysterio in 1996, The Shield 2013-2014, Daniel Bryan in 2013, Bryan Danielson 2021 and 2023 in AEW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Cassidy came back in June of last year.

Since then here are his AEW singles matches.

• Ospreay
  • Ethan Page
  • Nese
  • Lethal I
  • Anthony Henry
  • Ari Davari
  • PAC x2
  • Rush/10
  • Luchasaurus/Rey Fenix
  • Shibata
  • Lee Johnson
  • Hager
  • QT
  • Trent Seven
  • Trent?
  • Kip
  • Lethal II
  • Lee Moriarty
  • Yuta
  • Bill
  • Lethal III
  • Jarrett
  • Butcher
  • Dralistico
  • Matthews

with a bunch of tags and six mans too, and an Effy match and Acclaimed tag (w/LSG) outside of AEW.

It's been a hell of a run. From memory, I loved the Ethan Page, Tony Nese, Hager, Trent Seven, Kip, Jarrett, Dralistco, and Matthews matches the most maybe? But it's a lot to keep in your memory and what I love isn't going to necessarily be what other people love the most. I'm looking for the best stories within a match and for the people to give in to his act most fully. I'm not necessarily looking for the most action (though he's capable of that) but for the most character.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Either the first match against Pac or the match against Pac where he finally figured out how to beat him and won the title.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Is there a storyline reason for Mark Briscoe teaming with Lethal et al on Rampage that I missed?

Battle of The Belts last week had Lethal approach Mark and say they should look out for each other and Mark agreed but was surprised when Jarrett and Co swarmed him and welcomed him to the group.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Cassidy came back in June of last year.

Since then here are his AEW singles matches.

• Ospreay
  • Ethan Page
  • Nese
  • Lethal I
  • Anthony Henry
  • Ari Davari
  • PAC x2
  • Rush/10
  • Luchasaurus/Rey Fenix
  • Shibata
  • Lee Johnson
  • Hager
  • QT
  • Trent Seven
  • Trent?
  • Kip
  • Lethal II
  • Lee Moriarty
  • Yuta
  • Bill
  • Lethal III
  • Jarrett
  • Butcher
  • Dralistico
  • Matthews

with a bunch of tags and six mans too, and an Effy match and Acclaimed tag (w/LSG) outside of AEW.

It's been a hell of a run. From memory, I loved the Ethan Page, Tony Nese, Hager, Trent Seven, Kip, Jarrett, Dralistco, and Matthews matches the most maybe? But it's a lot to keep in your memory and what I love isn't going to necessarily be what other people love the most. I'm looking for the best stories within a match and for the people to give in to his act most fully. I'm not necessarily looking for the most action (though he's capable of that) but for the most character.

It's wild that I already forgot about the Trent Seven, Trent? and Yuta matches. I also loved the Big Bill match since it was such an awesome story of how OC was always a step ahead of the bigger man. So many of OC's best matches are essentially him aping Bugs Bunny, which I absolutely adore. 

We're on the same page obviously of how the best OC matches are the ones that tell a story. But as great as the match was last night - the lay out was a masterpiece - I prefer his opponents when they their own shtick and/or kitsch. That is why I was such a fan of the Kip and Double J matches. Buddy doesn't bring a huge character with him, and Julia Hart's glares and smirks don't add enough to the table for me. 

The Shibata match was also great. I think Shibata listed OC as a dream opponent of his?

One match that I very much hope is on the table is Dax vs. OC, if we get anymore Dax singles matches. Dax talked up OC a ton on one of his podcast episodes. Those two could absolutely make magic together. 

In terms of "I can't wait to see XXX guy wrestle this week" matches, I haven't been as into anyone like OC since The Shield debuted and tore through everyone. My reactions to both are similar: I can't wait to see how the puzzle gets put together of how they solve that week's opponent. But, most importantly, I also got lost in just pure fandom of the act. I know I was supposed to root for The Shield to lose, but the only time I think I did was against The Rhodes Brothers and The Wyatts, but even that was a toss-up.

• Like 4