DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Are we talking about the post-Dynamite Observer radio? I listened to that episode and Meltzer didn't make any solid predictions on numbers. Like everybody, he suggested it'll be a real challenge, but he didn't say they won't or will hit any particular number. Which is completely fair. Also, he said 40,000 would be a real success. Surely there's some good reasons to bring criticism to Meltzer, but then there's also a lot of ppl quick to spread bullshit over Meltzer misquotes.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Casey said:

What’s the story behind Bret/Bulldog at SS92 anyway? I’ve never seen it, so this love letter stuff is lost on me. Seems like something Punk would love to do, given that it involves Bret. But, again, no clue what it means.

Yeah, yeah. I’ll watch it one day, but viewing the match in a vacuum doesn’t really tell me the story behind it or anything probably.

It was Bret’s idea. If SS 92 was in the states he wanted to do the ladder match with HBK but if Wembley he wanted to drop the title to Bulldog in a baby face match. And this was 92 so a baby face title match was still pretty rate

Meltzer says there were 25,000 signups for access to the Wembley presale

I think there's definitely a market for the global smart crowd willing to drop bank on WrestleMania travel packages that can be lured by Tony running All In as a stadium show every summer. I just always thought he'd do AEW's first stadium show in Jacksonville for practical reasons.

Other than All in: SkyDome and All In: Tokyo Dome I'm not sure if the international concept can be stretched that much if it becomes an annual thing

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

First, Sting's retirement match is a humongous deal and while I know they need to sell a ton of tickets, I just can't see Sting wrestling his final match outside of the States. What's a big venue in Atlanta they could have that in?

Maybe they can do like Muta's final show and start with him and Darby tagging and Sting getting one last big pin/win, immediately followed by Sting telling Darby "C'mon kid, you've earned it" and having a quick singles match where he does the time-honored tradition.

Not to laugh at Cody's misfortunes, but wasn't his favorite wrestler Sting based him growing up and being privileged enough to see him at the Omni? To me, that would have been a no brainer had Cody stayed. He would have maneuvered himself in that position to be the one who got to be in Sting's last match, especially if it was at State Farm Arena. I could see it where Darby got to be the second-to-last guy while Cody got to do the HBK/Flair Putting Down Ole Yeller storyline. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Cody could have been the last person to turn on Sting before he retired. 

That would have been the only thing that had that same emotional resonance as Cody/Dustin. Hell, I thought that's where they're going eventually when Sting came in. Unfortunately, we got all the nonsense with Cody not believing in heels and faces and inundated with the Codyverse instead.

• Sad 1

Should be a fun night of wrestling.

Rampage has

• Hook vs Page III: with more of the Firm/Hardy story. Page didn't get at on of stuff in last time but he did at the house show so we'll see.
  • Moriarty vs Darby: no reason this won't be good.
  • Anna vs Julia: Julia's been in squashes for the last six months so it'll be interesting to see what she does with an actual match.
  • Acclaimed/2.0 vs poor saps: antics, maybe another chance at a rap about Vince's mustache?

BOTB 6 has

• Lucha Bros vs QT/Hobbs: Weird match but I can't imagine them getting away with too much BS with Hobbs (but can with QT, but in an enjoyable way)
  • Jade vs Billie: Could be a real test for Jade if they book it so Billie gets significant hope. She might just get run over instead.
  • Cassidy vs Dralistico: Another one of those matches you never knew you wanted but now that they announced it, I'm all for it. And if it leads to Cassidy vs RUSH all the better.
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That would have been the only thing that had that same emotional resonance as Cody/Dustin. Hell, I thought that's where they're going eventually when Sting came in. Unfortunately, we got all the nonsense with Cody not believing in heels and faces and inundated with the Codyverse instead.

It could have been super meta and Sting could have turned on Cody, along with Arn and Tully, for a 30+ year Horsemen call back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It could have been super meta and Sting could have turned on Cody, along with Arn and Tully, for a 30+ year Horsemen call back.

That would perhaps work, but I am of the mind that Cody is the guy who sees himself as the voice of everyone who doesn't want to see his favorite wrestler go down the path of embarrassing himself like other legends and some of his contemporaries have already done **cough** **cough**. You can also have where Cody is talking about how Dusty took Sting on his wing and made him a star, Sting took Dustin under his wing when Dustin came to WCW in the early 90s (this is where you can show Dustin and Sting tagging vs. the Dangerous Alliance at various points in 91 and 92), but Sting never did that for him. Instead, he took the guy he (Sting) would have been squashing 35 years ago in UWF/JCP under his wing to be the protege. That would necessitate the turn. So you end up with Sting vs. Cody and then eventually Darby beats Cody. 

Either way, Tony has to get on the horn and trade like a WWE HOF or Raw anniversary appearance for someone under AEW employ (like Billy Gunn or Christian) for some NWA/WCW footage for various video packages.

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is all fun to think about, but Cody said he'd retire before he turned heel. 

That's why Cody is the guy who doesn't "get it" and currently in a company where that's no longer his decision really.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's why Cody is the guy who doesn't "get it" and currently in a company where that's no longer his decision really.

Yeah Cody casually mentioned during his Mania press tour that he was a heel in AEW and I rolled my eyes so hard

WWE absolutely harnessed the good parts of his gimmick/backstory and kept him away from overthinking everything, which is what he needed

• Like 4

While I was joking in repeating Cody's stated intent to retire before turning, I maintain that Cody's meta heel routine was the best stuff going and the reactions he was getting absolutely bear him out as a guy who gets it. But I get that people not only disagree with that, most think it wasn't even happening. Maybe Cody's right when he suggested it was too nuanced for any audience. Because for as smart as AEW's core fans think themselves to be, it was flying over their heads -- which is what made him a great meta heel. Him going back to WWE was going to be big regardless, but I think it was somewhat elevated by there being so much "what the fuck is this guy thinking" chatter in the leadup to his AEW departure -- he was hot.

That said, I almost wish he'd stop trying to explain himself. If he wants to try to play that card again in the future, it's best to leave it unsaid on his part until he's called it a career and started his Conrad podcast. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While I was joking in repeating Cody's stated intent to retire before turning, I maintain that Cody's meta heel routine was the best stuff going and the reactions he was getting absolutely bear him out as a guy who gets it. But I get that people not only disagree with that, most think it wasn't even happening. Maybe Cody's right when he suggested it was too nuanced for any audience. Because for as smart as AEW's core fans think themselves to be, it was flying over their heads -- which is what made him a great meta heel. Him going back to WWE was going to be big regardless, but I think it was somewhat elevated by there being so much "what the fuck is this guy thinking" chatter in the leadup to his AEW departure -- he was hot.

That said, I almost wish he'd stop trying to explain himself. If he wants to try to play that card again in the future, it's best to leave it unsaid on his part until he's called it a career and started his Conrad podcast. 

I think that just makes him Raven in WCW where he is the only one who actually gets it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While I was joking in repeating Cody's stated intent to retire before turning, I maintain that Cody's meta heel routine was the best stuff going and the reactions he was getting absolutely bear him out as a guy who gets it. But I get that people not only disagree with that, most think it wasn't even happening. Maybe Cody's right when he suggested it was too nuanced for any audience. Because for as smart as AEW's core fans think themselves to be, it was flying over their heads -- which made him a GREAT sort of meta heel. Him going back to WWE was going to be big regardless, but I think it was somewhat elevated by there being so much "what the fuck is this guy thinking" chatter in the leadup to his AEW departure -- he was hot.

That said, I almost wish he'd stop trying to explain himself. If he wants to try to play that card again in the future, it's all best to leave it unsaid on his part until he's called it a career and started his Conrad podcast. 

When he said he'd rather retire than turn heel, it was a Death of Superman reference.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is a shame (maybe only for John and I) that we didn’t see what Tony Khan and Cody had in mind for Cody’s character if the negotiations for his contract didn’t fall apart. It’s tough to say which route he would have gone and if he would have been able to successfully win fans back or even keep them booing him as his oblivious “good guy” heel work developed further. 

Imagine if he was still with the company after Brawl Out. Maybe it could have lead to Cody vs Mox.

Ultimately, his return to WWE was likely the best case scenario. It lead to him being a huge part in my interested toward the company spiking. But who knows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is all fun to think about, but Cody said he'd retire before he turned heel. 

But that's also because he didn't realize he was a heel when he thought he was still a babyface (in and out of character).