DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

I love that Tony Khan is crazy enough to run Wembley Stadium but realistically what kind of number could they do there?  What number would be impressive enough to justify it?  

I'd love to see them pack that place but I don't know.   To our UK posters,  how big is AEW really over there? 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

It's unclear. They do bigger TV ratings than WWE, but I don't know anyone who watches it on TV. We all watch live on Fite, except the people who sail the seas of international internet piracy. So between actual UK fans, and people from mainland Europe coming over, it could be closer to full than empty.

In the Discord, when he said Wembley, a few people thought he was going to say Arena and assumed tickets would sell out right away and we would have to pay resale  prices or not go. Whilst in the Stadium, we're thinking we're probably getting in.

• Like 2

TNA had similar TV numbers and these were their attendance figures for Wembley Arena:

Main events:

2009 - Jarrett def. Angle (8100)

2010 - AJ Styles def. Angle (7000)

2011 - Ken Anderson def. Jeff Hardy (6000)

2012 - Sting and James Storm def. Bully Ray and Bobby Roode (5404)

2013 - Aces and Eights def. Sting and Bully Ray (5000)

2014 - Bobby Roode def. Davey Richards (4000)

2015 - Angle def. Lashley (4500)

2016 - Mike Bennett def. Drew Galloway (4000)

Edited by Dolphman 3000

5 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If we're doing fantasy booking for All In...

AEW World Title, Career Threatening: MJF (c) vs. Sting

IWGP US Title: Omega (c) vs. Ospreay

Special Attraction: Logan Paul vs. Drew Galloway

AEW Women's Title: Jamie Hayter (c) vs. Mercedes vs. Saraya

NJPW Television Title: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Bryan Danielson

Owen Hart Cup: Adam Cole (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Title vs. Title: Okada (c) vs. Vikingo (c)

AEW International Title, 2 out of 3 Falls: Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Komander

AEW World Tag Team Titles: The Acclaimed (c) vs. Aussie Open

AEW World Trios Title: FTR/CM Punk (c) vs. Young Bucks/Hangman vs. Moxley/Yuta/Claudio 

#1 Contender's Match: Darby Allin vs. Jungle Boy vs. Sammy Guevara

Special Attraction: Bill Goldberg vs. Wardlow

And then the show ends with #1 Contender Darby Allin staring down his best friend Sting, who just won the World Title.

Hell no to Logan fucking Paul. Leave the clowns at the circus.

Take out that and Goldberg and I really like it.

• Like 1

Logan Paul is a dope professional wrestler and brings an audience with him. He's a natural heel. You'd be actively turning down money to not want him wrestling in AEW.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Logan Paul is a dope professional wrestler and brings an audience with him. He's a natural heel. You'd be actively turning down money to not want him wrestling in AEW.

Fine, he’s an acrobatic clown who goes viral for doing dumb stunts for 4channers. He can go fuck himself for the suicide forest video.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don’t make money off of AEW.

I agree that he is great at pro wrestling, he just fits more with what WWE is doing than AEW’s vibe. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of a realistic lineup  

Omega vs. Ospreay II - NJPW U.S. Championship 

Sting vs. Darby Allin - Retirement Match

Punk vs. MJF - AEW World Championship

Bryan vs. Sabre Jr. - NJPW TV Championship

Jamie Hayter vs. Mercedes Mone - AEW Women's World Championship vs. NJPW Women's World Championship

FTR vs. Aussie Open - AEW World Tag Team Championship 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I don't know if he's a shithead in real life or what his youtube channel is about, but he's had some insanely high output in WWE the last couple of years, and his style would fit even better in AEW. Logan vs. OC would be amazing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So what? It's 2023. You don't think people know about potential weather. They've had countless events there. Also, we should consider this specific promoter owns a football club.

Plus, unless you're the wicked witch, the rain isn't going to melt you. They're going to have a canopy covering the ring, and that's all that matters. If you believe you might die cause of the rain, then don't go. Jesus Christ.

Minoru Suzuki vs Okada in the rain was a great spectacle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm trying to think of a realistic lineup  

Omega vs. Ospreay II - NJPW U.S. Championship 

Sting vs. Darby Allin - Retirement Match

Punk vs. MJF - AEW World Championship

Bryan vs. Sabre Jr. - NJPW TV Championship

Jamie Hayter vs. Mercedes Mone - AEW Women's World Championship vs. NJPW Women's World Championship

FTR vs. Aussie Open - AEW World Tag Team Championship 

I'd be surprised if the bolded happened. Omega/Ospreay II feels like something NJPW would want to run again in Japan, especially if Ospreay were winning. Feels like Sting would be more likely to tag with Darby for his retirement than do a singles. I suspect Mercedes does nothing with AEW until whatever deal she has with Bushiroad is done. Those dates are limited. I don't see BR giving up any to promotions outside of their own. 

In the spirit of Bruno Sanmartino vs Bummy Rogers, they should promote Tyson Furry vs Kink Charles III.

Roy Keane/Vinnie Jones vs Gianni Infantino/Florentino Perez would draw fans from all over the globe.

What’s the story behind Bret/Bulldog at SS92 anyway? I’ve never seen it, so this love letter stuff is lost on me. Seems like something Punk would love to do, given that it involves Bret. But, again, no clue what it means.

Yeah, yeah. I’ll watch it one day, but viewing the match in a vacuum doesn’t really tell me the story behind it or anything probably.

I don't remember there being much story to it other than they were family and trying to put that aside to focus on who is the better wrestler that night.  Bret was a really big star in Europe those days and of course Bulldog for the UK so they just let them go on last and have a good match in the main event.  In those days, the I.C. was typically where you'd see the better matches but rarely was it the main event.  

RE: Sting vs. Darby,  I'm not sure they could have a great match but if Sting is really retiring I'm struggling to find who a great opponent would be. Sure they could do a tag match together but against who.  Sting has outlasted his peers several years over,  Muta is now retired etc.

• Like 2

Yeah, the story was essentially “This show is in the UK and Davey is British, therefore he will challenge for the title.” Crazy how a match with *gasp* little to no story can still resonate 30 years later!

The more interesting story was behind the scenes, where (according to Bret) Davey had gotten into smoking crack and blew up almost immediately, so Bret had to carry him through the whole thing. Davey didn’t even remember that he was supposed to shake Bret’s hand afterwards.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, the story was essentially “This show is in the UK and Davey is British, therefore he will challenge for the title.” Crazy how a match with *gasp* little to no story can still resonate 30 years later!

The more interesting story was behind the scenes, where (according to Bret) Davey had gotten into smoking crack and blew up almost immediately, so Bret had to carry him through the whole thing. Davey didn’t even remember that he was supposed to shake Bret’s hand afterwards.

As a kid, there was an element that Bret was main eventing and that the IC title was main eventing and it felt like something new and exciting.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'd be surprised if the bolded happened. Omega/Ospreay II feels like something NJPW would want to run again in Japan, especially if Ospreay were winning. Feels like Sting would be more likely to tag with Darby for his retirement than do a singles. I suspect Mercedes does nothing with AEW until whatever deal she has with Bushiroad is done. Those dates are limited. I don't see BR giving up any to promotions outside of their own. 

We should be getting Mercedes in Toronto 😁

And I suspect Tony will be doing some horse trading with NJPW to maximize the star power for All In, maybe promise some AEW talent for a few tours or extra AEW stars for WK next year?

• Like 1

First, Sting's retirement match is a humongous deal and while I know they need to sell a ton of tickets, I just can't see Sting wrestling his final match outside of the States. What's a big venue in Atlanta they could have that in?

Maybe they can do like Muta's final show and start with him and Darby tagging and Sting getting one last big pin/win, immediately followed by Sting telling Darby "C'mon kid, you've earned it" and having a quick singles match where he does the time-honored tradition.

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I love that Tony Khan is crazy enough to run Wembley Stadium but realistically what kind of number could they do there?  What number would be impressive enough to justify it?  

I'd love to see them pack that place but I don't know.   To our UK posters,  how big is AEW really over there? 

Meltzer said on his show that WWE is far more popular than AEW by any measure except ratings.  WWE airs on a subscription service in the UK, AEW airs on free tv (someone correct me if that’s wrong).  Dave doesn’t think AEW will come close to the 80,000 WWE packed in years ago.

I’m curious what Tony actually expects.  I assume they did market research before deciding to run the stadium.  I kind of feel like he’s finally overreaching, but I really don’t have a strong opinion on the subject.   It’ll be interesting to see what sort of card he pulls together.