DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Always had an interest in wrestling belts. I miss the WWE Intercontinental Championship, the classic one held by Bret Hart/Mr Perfect/Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon and a version brought back by WWE through Cody Rhodes in 2011 till the current version in 2019 which I don't like. I like secondary championships on a white strap. Speaking of the WWE Intercontinental Championship, I really miss the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. NJPW has never filled that gap. Give me that over the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

You can argue that based on WCW being based out of Atlanta and most of the folks being living in Atlanta or the suburbs of Atlanta, Macon is close to being an actual hometown than a kayfabe hometown.

If you watch the Road Warriors late in their run in WCW and WWF, you can tell they gave up on the continuity of their hometown. It was Chicago. Then, it was both were born in Minneapolis but raised in Chicago (how does that work exactly by chance? Are they blood brothers? Did Chicago become like 10 minute trip from the Twin Cities?). Then they were born and raised in Chicago but moved to Minneapolis. It was all over the place. The commentators kept creating their own backstory.

There's an interview b/t The Road Warriors and Luger/Sting before they have a Chicago Street Fight where Luger puffs himself up as being a tough and experienced street brawler b/c he's from Chicago just like the RW. They start questioning him until he sheepishly admits he's from some bougie suburb on the outskirts of Chicago. I wish I could remember what episode of Nitro it was b/c it was pretty funny. I know it was sometime in early 96.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude I was gonna mention OMG cause I watched a World Class show with him last night. The lower third on screen graphic said Chicago, IL, but Marc Lowrance said just Halsted Street. My thoughts in order:

1. Is he the entire street?

2. Is he like a vagrant?

3. Does he wonder about the street in that silly ass getup? He's probably gonna fucked up bad if he does that.

In his book, Gary Hart talked about the origins of the Halsted Street part of the gimmick. Part of Gary's gimmick then was that he was a kid who grew up in gangs on the streets (not too far off from his real life b/c he had dealings with the mafia) and he was part of a gang on Halsted Street. He wanted to bring in a guy to be The Halsted Street Warrior to counteract Kerry Von Erich as the Modern Day Warrior. He got OMG and they concocted a backstory that they were running buddies in the gang and that Gary's nickname then was Slick and OMG's other nickname was "Moon" to play off of the CCR song, "Bad Moon Risin'".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

There's an interview b/t The Road Warriors and Luger/Sting before they have a Chicago Street Fight where Luger puffs himself up as being a tough and experienced street brawler b/c he's from Chicago just like the RW. They start questioning him until he sheepishly admits he's from some bougie suburb on the outskirts of Chicago. I wish I could remember what episode of Nitro it was b/c it was pretty funny. I know it was sometime in early 96.

February 26, 1996. 

Sting goes "What even is a Chicago Street Fight?" The look on Luger's face as he struggles to explain had me laughing. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

In his book, Gary Hart talked about the origins of the Halsted Street part of the gimmick. Part of Gary's gimmick then was that he was a kid who grew up in gangs on the streets (not too far off from his real life b/c he had dealings with the mafia) and he was part of a gang on Halsted Street. He wanted to bring in a guy to be The Halsted Street Warrior to counteract Kerry Von Erich as the Modern Day Warrior. He got OMG and they concocted a backstory that they were running buddies in the gang and that Gary's nickname then was Slick and OMG's other nickname was "Moon" to play off of the CCR song, "Bad Moon Risin'".

It's funny as hell to me now that Halsted had gangs on it. Halsted is a long ass street though. It may be one of the longest in Chicago. It extends from Wrigleyville to River North, Oldtown, Boystown, etc. I guess there may be a bad part of it because it also goes pretty far south. Also, I guess all of Chicago is just a wildcard now. Two weeks ago a bunch of teens and older were fighting and semi-rioting right out by the Art Institute and that's near the heart of downtown. Oh, and some lady got the shit kicked out of her near there by the same group and she was only trying to get into her apartment from street level. A few years back my wife and I went to see Tom Segura at the Chicago Theater. After the show got out, we walked a couple blocks for a nightcap at Miller's Pub. At that same time just blocks away 12 or 13 people shot.

Despite all of that, I still feel pretty safe any time I'm in Chicago, mainly because I know what to look out for, what to avoid, and not to fuck around and find out.

I also don't live there. @jaedmc does and he's seen some shit where he's at. He also may and probably does know Halsted way better than I do.

• Like 2

I went to punk shows as a teen, like 17 to 19, on the south side and never ran into trouble. Honestly, the closest I ever came to getting into any sort of trouble was being drunk with people in a bachelors party and going to the Taco Bell on Stony Island where a pimp and a bunch of sex workers were at. That situation was probably milder than the mild sauce at Taco Bell.

Edited by Craig H

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

To think we where this close to Stevie Ray stepping to the ring in floppy pimp hat aka flash funk

Harlem Heat going to the WWF in the 90s and becoming the tag team of Flash Funk wouldn’t have been the worst name change possible.

• Like 1

As a naive suburban white 9 year old, I always thought it was so bizarre that Harlem Heat had their street mentioned in their ring intro. Why not just give out their full address? Why do no other wrestlers get a street name, or even a subdivision, in their intros?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

As a naive suburban white 9 year old, I always thought it was so bizarre that Harlem Heat had their street mentioned in their ring intro. Why not just give out their full address? Why do no other wrestlers get a street name, or even a subdivision, in their intros?

Badstreet? 

WCW treated their tag team division alot more serious most of its time but Vince would have been frothing at the mouth over Harlem Heat. The would have been feuding with the Smoking Gunns of and on till one of the teams split up. Booker would have been what Ahmed should have been, one he went solo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

WCW treated their tag team division alot more serious most of its time but Vince would have been frothing at the mouth over Harlem Heat. The would have been feuding with the Smoking Gunns of and on till one of the teams split up. Booker would have been what Ahmed should have been, one he went solo.

I believe Bruce said he met them when they first showed up in Global, saw them backstage, and was impressed just seeing them alone. Unfortunately, they were still green as all hell until maybe two years into their WCW run.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Hook is introduced as being from St. Marks Place which upon further review is a street in Brooklyn. So if you're ever looking for him you know where to find him. 

Better than St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, which used to be wonderfully sketchy as hell until the NYU crowd made it trendy. The idea of Hook being from St. Mark's in Manhattan is kinda comical to me

James

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe Bruce said he met them when they first showed up in Global, saw them backstage, and was impressed just seeing them alone. Unfortunately, they were still green as all hell until maybe two years into their WCW run.

It’s actually kinda interesting that with their size and athleticism they never ended up in a legit sport

Anyone else been getting wrestling fatigue lately? For someone who watches a lot of indy stuff there's no delay in watching it online vs having to wait however long for some tapes or dvds to show up in the mail and streaming services have made more material available than ever before. With AEW and other companies I follow running so many shows there's just so much out there to check out and the accessibility is right there. It's not a bad problem to have really; I'm glad there is so much variety out there and so many wrestlers are able to (presumably) earn a living at it.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

Better than St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, which used to be wonderfully sketchy as hell until the NYU crowd made it trendy. The idea of Hook being from St. Mark's in Manhattan is kinda comical to me

James

I always assumed that was what they meant by St. Marks Place, didn't even realize there was another. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Hook lives on top of a hummus stand that also inexplicably sells sunglasses.

Honestly, even in the 1980s St. Marks wasn't really sketchy. Mostly head shops, vintage stores, a couple of record stores, some basement bars, and a lot of brownstones where famous people lived or used to live. Now, Alphabet City in the '80s was still rough and not someplace to be after dark.

• Like 2