DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/16/22

Unnatural

Pretty fun show overall.

The opener was kinda crazy and the ROH Title match should be wild on Saturday. I'm loving the Sammy/Danielson in ring rivalry. At one point Sammy did a dive when Jericho was also applying the Walls of Jericho that just blew my mind.

Trios match was all kind of crazy too, AR Fox seems much better than last time I saw him years ago where he was all kinds of awkward, he got some great spots in there.

Not super excited about Mox/MJF but it always happens with MJF matches for me since he almost never wrestles, so my brain always forgets that he's pretty good in the ring so I'm sure they'll deliver on Saturday.

• Like 1

Oh man, I finally landed on what's really bugging me about this whole MJF/Moxley feud and run up to the title. It should just be between Moxley and MJF. That's it. It should just be what Austin vs Rock was before Vince fucked it up by adding Debra and after Vince course corrected and removed Debra from the equation. The Firm is basically Debra in this scenario and unfortunately they were never removed from something that should just be about MJF and Moxley.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What if it isn't a swerve? Is it possible AEW would try an MJF babyface run? 

I feel like this whole "is he/isn't he" storyline leading up to the PPV is sort of a test run for MJF as a face.  I'm pretty sure that it'll end up a swerve but I think if the face tendencies got over like crazy they might change course and go all in on the turn.

Maybe I am too cynical; or maybe I have watched too much wrestling but the whole Firm thing feels like a real re-tread of so many angles I have seen.  I would love to be wrong, but the Firm working with MJF and a heel turn by Regal feel really inevitable. As does a Danielson heel turn soon. 

• Like 4

What's going on with the #1 contender tournament? Starks vs. Archer, a first round match, is slated for Rampage. Are the tournament finals still happening on Full Gear? If so, how are they getting to the finals that quickly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

I don't think Craig H was being malicious at all, for the record, and I totally understand where you're coming from. I just don't dig on discussing that kind of stuff here. I'll do fun backstage gossip all day, for sure. I don't know. It just makes me feel gross.

All good! Totally understandable logic, and I'm really glad you know I wasn't trying to shut you down in any way, or trying to like, 'To be fairrrr..' you or anything - was just trying to help!

26 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I feel like this whole "is he/isn't he" storyline leading up to the PPV is sort of a test run for MJF as a face.  I'm pretty sure that it'll end up a swerve but I think if the face tendencies got over like crazy they might change course and go all in on the turn.

Agreed on that first point - and to add to that, I think it's not working for me because it was way too recently that we had MJF cut that sympathetic bullying promo in the lead up to Punk (coincidentally, we were also in attendance in the same city/arena) - I had sort of the same feelings about that one with regard to it being a possible babyface dry run. And like I mentioned last night, the Firm stuff so far has not been for me at all, so I'm actually openly hoping for the 'obvious' swerve (even though that's not really an attractive option either).

• Like 2

It was a decent show last night with some really long matches.  I watched online so I saw Dynamite I guess from an over sea's source and it's night and day without picture in picture breaks. The commentators are pretty funny during those segments when they are not live in the states. 

The opening tag was good. I laughed at the idea that Sammy could be ROH Champion. I think that would just cause peoples heads to explode considering the hate he gets online. I hope Claudio beating Jericho leads to a one on one match at the ROH PPV. I don't think Jericho is losing this weekend. Also would love to see a fight without honor between Bryan and Sammy. Sammy needs to be beaten to a bloody pulp.

I was surprised by how long Bowens vs. Strickland went. It was a good match and the prematch rap video was hilarious. If this is how Captain Insano will be used I'm all for it. But overall a good match. Swerve really needs to move on from the tag division. He's too good to be just in a tag team. I would like to see him and Keith Lee feud because I can totally see Swerve walking out on him.

The Britt Baker promo was a bit weird. She was trying to make herself a face over Saraya who is supposed to be the "good" one here. How hard would have it been to cut a promo calling her brittle and she's gonna send her back into retirement. Simple heel stuff to be done that was totally missed.

The trio's match was just a whirlwind of action from the start. Glad to see AR Fox make it to the big show. I was surprised the end of the match saw the reveal of The Elite being the next challengers. That should be a good match.

Page vs. Bandido was a fun match. Ethan Page has to be the odds on favorite to win this thing. I just cant see him losing no matter who he's facing in the finals. 

I too was looking forward to The Bunny vs. Toni Storm, so I hope we get that match at some point. Anna Jay was a fine replacement and the match was pretty good. Would have liked to see more Jaime Hayter though. It seemed like she was an after thought when she came down to the ring after the match.

The closing promo with Moxley was good. I can almost see him retaining the title, but they are kinda back into a corner here. MJF has to win. But with The Firm I could see how they could Dusty finish their way out of that.

It should be a good ppv on saturday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Maybe I am too cynical; or maybe I have watched too much wrestling but the whole Firm thing feels like a real re-tread of so many angles I have seen.  I would love to be wrong, but the Firm working with MJF and a heel turn by Regal feel really inevitable. As does a Danielson heel turn soon. 

Danielson already comes out of the heel tunnel.

I think the Firm would be greatly improved with someone else in the Gunns' spot. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they work as guys you don't take too seriously. That's not a knock, that's a great lane to be in as a heel. Like if Butcher and the Blade or even Bear Country were in that spot, that'd make the group seem a little more dangerous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

What's going on with the #1 contender tournament? Starks vs. Archer, a first round match, is slated for Rampage. Are the tournament finals still happening on Full Gear? If so, how are they getting to the finals that quickly?

I am also confused by this.

The reason why the Mox vs MJF feud feels off, is because it was written to be Punk vs MJF, and the dynamic between Mox and Max is completely different to the Punk/Max story.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Moving the finals off the PPV is good as the show is loaded as it is... On to Dynamite!

CAPTAIN INSANO IS ALL ELITE!!!

I don't know about Big Pauls health but it would be funny to have the good Capt, wrestle on Dark while Mr. No More BS does commentary.

Probably the best swerve match I've ever seen. Bowens is like Dax where I'd be fine with him getting Arn Anderson like secondary title run at some point.

6 man was great.  Great to see AR FOX get some time and a reunited top flight. Be funny to see AR FOX and Swerve interact in a match and have the announcers allude to "history" 

Tough Touchus Toni hits Sweet Cheek Music on Ann Jay twice for the win!

Interesting Face promo from Britt... The AEW tends to cheer for their homegrown talent

Joe cuts a promo about Wardlow's LUSTFULL EYES! He won't go quietly into being a victim, Mr. mayhem refused to recognize to THE POWER so now he has to pay THE ULTIMATE PRICE! Personally I would rather see Joe v Hobbs, Joe v Wardlow, or Wardlow v Joe than a three way but maybe we get those matches in the HOSSWEIGHT division 

Ending segment went off the rails. First time a promo has main evented and not a match?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

That whole segment also wasn't helped by the Firm running in and looking like a bunch of geeks

if they do yet another AEW "swerve" and the Firm realigns with MJF, then MJF taking them out last night like it's a shitty action movie could be viewed a little differently

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

818k, .28 demo. Looks like third-lowest rating of the year, second-lowest on Dynamite's regular night. Counting on everyone for outrageous takes, thank you. 

Whoa!  That ain't no good!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

818k, .28 demo. Looks like third-lowest rating of the year, second-lowest on Dynamite's regular night. Counting on everyone for outrageous takes, thank you. 

No Bunny.

That’s my take.

Also I kind of enjoyed the six-man tag so I don’t know what else to say.

• Like 5

There's no way they can spin this as good.

Tony Khan idiotically spoiling the return of The Elite, who didn't even appear last night. I mean why not? They've got a match on the pay-per-view. Why not actually have them appear to build up the PPV match? What has been the point of this whole Delete the Elite thing? 

Inconsistent booking. A lot of talents have cooled down as of late. 

The Firm/MJF angle has been booked terribly, and so has the Title Eliminator tournament.

Drop interim title bullshit. No one gives a shit about interim champions. Strip Thunder Rosa of the title. Interim titles are f'n stupid and no one cares about them. Interim titles are a joke. This isn't the UFC, and interim titles are a joke there too.

Tony Khan has utterly failed as a leader of this company. He needs to get off Twitter.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

These are okay, but we can go hotter. I need an earnest "might as well let WWE have MJF."

Can’t we just give WWE Britt Baker instead? That would hurt the woman’s division (AEW’s I mean) more than losing MJF would hurt the mens division. 

And what kind of booking “genius” doesn’t find room on an 11 match PPV card for Hangman Page, Orange Cassidy, Miro, Daniel Garcia, Wheeler Yuta, Eddie Kingston, and FTR??? That part I’m being deadly serious about too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1