DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Just real quick about Seth...I still think he's a good enough promo and sometimes he does connect with the crowd in a way that few others are able to do. He's also much better in the ring than this board gives him credit for. But two things...

• Man do I hate the superplex into Falcon Arrow. It needs to be saved as a kill move where you don't want to bust it out because there's a lot of risk involved, but you're trying to do everything you can to finish the match and that's the one last move you go to. The Phoenix Splash is that move for him now, but he never pins anyone with that either. Save the Phoenix Splash for giant dudes you can't superplex and then Falcon Arrow and then use that combo spot on guys you reasonably could do that to.
  • He's being such a shithead in public in the last two days that it's turning me in a way where I just don't even want to watch the guy. I'm not there yet, but he's not helping.

New King of Trios team alert!

EC3, Roode, and Cesaro teamed together as a trio on Main Event. This may be the first time I seek out Main Event since Aleister Black had a match on there.

Christ. Come on WWE! You give us a stupid ass 24/7 title when a 6 man tag championship is right there!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

EC3, Roode, and Cesaro teamed together as a trio on Main Event. This may be the first time I seek out Main Event since Aleister Black had a match on there.

Christ. Come on WWE! You give us a stupid ass 24/7 title when a 6 man tag championship is right there!

I will also be checking that match out. I was just saying I wanted EC3 and Roode as a team, and Cesaro elevates everything he's involved in. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But that's also one of my biggest problems with modern wrestling in general, and WWE in particular. You almost never see anything get a pin except finishers and surprise flash roll-ups (and not even usually creative ones like Bret used to break out) so whenever someone hits a new big move, it invariably gets a two, and loses any luster.

It gets a two, then the person who did the move (which has never won them a match) sits there with their mouth open, eyes wide in shock that it didn't get the pin.  Every fucking match.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Log said:

It gets a two, then the person who did the move (which has never won them a match) sits there with their mouth open, eyes wide in shock that it didn't get the pin.  Every fucking match.

Who was the first to do this? I want to say John Cena, but I'm not sure. Whoever started it, I wish they never did.

Like, don't just sit there and look stunned you dummy. Get up and hit them with your finisher again. Even Lesnar does the shocked look. It's like all agents tell the wrestlers to make that face at some point.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But that's also one of my biggest problems with modern wrestling in general, and WWE in particular. You almost never see anything get a pin except finishers and surprise flash roll-ups (and not even usually creative ones like Bret used to break out) so whenever someone hits a new big move, it invariably gets a two, and loses any luster.

I was thinking last night Kofi should have won with that spinning powerbomb he hit on Dolph last night. It looked great, was unexpected, and the crowd popped big time for it.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Two things that people dislike about modern Wrestling: Endless recaps and reminders, and We Know Who That Is-isms. But having said that, MLW really should remind their viewers that Simon Gotch was fired from WWE for beating up his co workers backstage. I mean, obviously in kayfabe it's tricky to differentiate between the worked angle backstage attacks he does now, and the legit punch ups he was having before, but still. With him not having the most intimidating appearance (especially when standing next to Jacob Fatu), I was wondering what he really brought to Contra Unit. Although him threatening a ref with a shard of broken door, holding it like a dagger, that made him look like he belongs in the gang of psychos.

31 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Having been to many wrestling shows recently, I can tell you that they definitely need to recap and remind the audience about everything because the average fan has the memory of a goldfish. 

2019 is the perfect year to bring back 2000’s era Nitro booking.

Going back to Rollins interview... His shot at the indies, and other organizations being jobronies in shorts doing highspots. lol... When did Seth become Carl Gotch in the ring?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

Re this ongoing Seth Rollins thing: remember that we're debating the validity of the opinionz of a guy who thought the very pinnacle of cleverness was deriving his wrestling name from characters from Fight Club and Harry Potter, respectively.  At a point in his life, this dude from Nowheresville Iowa was like, "I'm nerdy, but I'm also edgy as fuck.  What name can reflect that?"

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Re this ongoing Seth Rollins thing: remember that we're debating the validity of the opinionz of a guy who thought the very pinnacle of cleverness was deriving his wrestling name from characters from Fight Club and Harry Potter, respectively.  At a point in his life, this dude from Nowheresville Iowa was like, "I'm nerdy, but I'm also edgy as fuck.  What name can reflect that?"

I hate to say it but Seth's only a year older than me. If I was coming up with a wrestling name in high school, there's a very good chance I'd have picked something like that. Hell, my account name is still the same HIM reference it was when I decided to stop lurking and signed up in high school 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm surprised they didn't with the awesome Shield six man tags from December 2012 to June 2014.

Seth was a backyarder of sorts and wrestled in the tiniest tights humanly possible as well as simple shorts, so he should shut the fuck up about that stuff.

• Haha 1

So, if your wrestling name is a mash-up of character from favourite film and character from favourite book, but from like 15 years ago, who would you be? The best I can come up with right now is Nate Kilgore (Nate taken from Nately from Catch-22, Kilgore taken from... well, you should all know what Kilgore is taken from).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Seth Rollins is such a dork.

3 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

So, if your wrestling name is a mash-up of character from favourite film and character from favourite book, but from like 15 years ago, who would you be? The best I can come up with right now is Nate Kilgore (Nate taken from Nately from Catch-22, Kilgore taken from... well, you should all know what Kilgore is taken from).

Tyler Black.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Doctor Demon. Doctor as in Dr Tachyon (Wild Cards), Demon as in Maxwell Demon (Velvet Goldmine).

21 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I support half of this.