DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

You had me with the first paragraph and I had to scroll and saw how long it was and said 'fuck that'.

And to those who didn't see the video of Kofi, Brie and Swaggir making their Super Bowl picks and love to speculate, Swaggie was asked something but the camera didn't pick it up. Swaggie going 'I'm just here so I won't get suspended' was really weird.

I listened to Roman Reigns on Sam Roberts podcast and he asked him about the fans reactions and such and his attitude seemed so care free. I think he would do great as a heel kind of like Diesel after Survivor Series '95. He seems like a good talker whenever he is interviewed, even when he first started with the Shield so I never bought into him not being able to talk. They need to stop feeding him lines and let him go off the cuff like Cena.

You had me with the first paragraph and I had to scroll and saw how long it was and said 'fuck that'.

And to those who didn't see the video of Kofi, Brie and Swaggir making their Super Bowl picks and love to speculate, Swaggie was asked something but the camera didn't pick it up. Swaggie going 'I'm just here so I won't get suspended' was really weird.

wrestling bubble

• Like 2

So here in NYC and the surrounding area Pro Wrestling Syndicate has a fun little show/infomercial on at 4:30 in the morning on Ch. 10/55 in Long Island. Eddie Kingston was on the show last night and did this hilarious bit where he was going through this guy Chris Pyle's phone and he had all these modeling pics of Tessa Blanchard (She's Pyle's manager) and he keeps deadpan asking him "are you hitting that...does her old man know you're hitting that". I could not stop laughing.

The show's so low budget and is using the old ECW Hardcore TV format (clipped matches, cheesy backstage/locker room promos, ect). Sam Roberts has been on the last two shows and is doing some sort of heel commentator gimmick. Well worth DVRing. I really like this guy they have as PWS Champion names Mario Bokara. The Croation Sensation. Does a shooter character kinda like that one Santino did in OVW way back when. He would be something fun in TNA trying to break guys arms.

• Like 2

I saw this on Reddit and thought you all might want to share in my "WTF?" reaction:

The Attitude era came, and the crowd was enamored with the complex and long storylines. 

The bolded line gave me the giggles.  Otherwise, that piece isn't worth the time.

Can someone discuss the long and complex storylines they ran?  I must have missed those. 

I'm always interested in the mindset of wrestling fans outside of the DVDVR bubble.

Around a year ago, my wife mentioned to her boss that I was a big fan. Fast forward to last Monday, her boss walks into her office and gives a 10-minute explanation of what happened at the Rumble. This included a history lesson on Stone Colds rise from heel to unexpected company ace. 

Last night at a Super Bowl party, I met a guy who started watching around a year ago after being a decade removed. He started rattling off things about Lesnars contract running out and who is and and isn't over. 

It occurred to me that most regular watchers over 7 or  8 are probably reading some form of online Rumblingz. This stuff is not hard to find. It's even on mainstream web sites. You might be talking about 50-75% of the audience is somewhat smart to what is going on. 

And there is a lot of group think/popular opinion online. Post-Rumble I don't think I've read anything pro-Reigns at Mania. Realistically, without backing online, I don't think another big time main eventer is possible.

Another point in the "Vince is out of touch" column.  And to be fair, HHH is out of touch in this regard as well.  To them, the Internet is nothing but the next evolution of the dirtsheets of old -- inside information that only the hardest of the hardcore fans, 1% of their audience, care about.  You can't book to them and make money, right?   :rolleyes:

Truth is, more fans are educated than ever before and WWE is underestimating their audience in disastrous ways.  Vince is pushing 70 and it's eye opening to think about how his mindset of what this business is has never evolved.

I agree with that. I think even most of the casual viewers have probably read about Punk's departure or Bryan or the types of guys Vince likes, etc.  Some audiences will voice their displeasure more than others but as I was saying in another thread..  Reigns wasn't even over in Hartford. It was at best a mixed reaction.  You compare him to John Cena in 2004-05 and there is no comparison.  Cena was super fucking over as a face back then.  

I was also at the Superkick'd show on Saturday. Had a great time and the show was really good but the venue needed way more chairs and I now know there is a wrestler named "Jake Something" and that might be the worst name I've ever heard.

There were a couple indy goofs in Michigan who billed themselves as "the Cold Brothers" - Ice Cold and Stone Cold.  Nothing about their look or gimmicks suggested Austin in any way, shape, or form beyond the fact that they were white guys who breathed oxygen, walked upright, and had at least a few fingers and toes.  Actually, iirc, they had their faces painted red and black the time I saw them (looked more like Demolition).

Also once saw a local guy at a show in WV who did a "Heartbreak Kid" gimmick.  Billed himself as Stan Mitchells.  He looked to be over 50, overweight, and the gimmick was that he had a pacemaker and could barely cut a promo without wheezing much less get in the ring. He cut a promo that suggested he knew he was too old for the gimmick (hey, he's one up on Michaels).  Ok, that was sort of funny, but the it took me a while to forget the enormous muffin top poking out over his tights.  Think later Buddy Rose stuffing himself into HBK's 90's ring gear.

Jake Something should have teamed with Vincent Nothing.

Hey whatever happened to Vincent Nothing?

Nothing. 

Retired in 2010 then came back for another two matches for AIW in 2011. Spoke to him around the end of 2009 and he really wasn't big on dealing with promotors all over the country, I'm guessing that was a reason for his retiring. He was into MMA at the time, don't know if he ever did anything with that.