DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I think the answer is basically anyone but poor Henry Faggart.

Jeff Gaylord did okay

Not at robbing banks.

Gaylord could have gotten away with it if he wasn't a pro wrestler.  His master plan was to play his theme music inside the banks, then escape while everyone stopped what they were doing and stood around frozen in fear.  No one told him that only works in wrestling.

I really want someone to tell me Gaylord served his time in Cobb County, GA. 

I don't think I like Dolph Ziggler.

I don't really get his character and being nick-named "The Show Off" is dumb because none of his signature spots are really all that flashy. If that's even HOW he is a show off. Like, even if we counted the heart attack or heart stopper elbow drop series, is that really even showing off? Also, "The Show Off" is such a direct and unartful way to get that characteristic across.

I also think that for a guy whose reputation is built on being a great wrestler he has far too few great matches to coast on that alone. I guess I'm just not a Dolph guy, but I've tried to figure out why "smart" crowds seem so into him but I don't get it.

• Like 3

I don't think I like Dolph Ziggler.

I don't really get his character and being nick-named "The Show Off" is dumb because none of his signature spots are really all that flashy. If that's even HOW he is a show off. Like, even if we counted the heart attack or heart stopper elbow drop series, is that really even showing off? Also, "The Show Off" is such a direct and unartful way to get that characteristic across.

I also think that for a guy whose reputation is built on being a great wrestler he has far too few great matches to coast on that alone. I guess I'm just not a Dolph guy, but I've tried to figure out why "smart" crowds seem so into him but I don't get it.

The only things really "Show Off-y" that he does are take crazy bumps. And I don't get how being visually stunning at getting your ass kicked is showing off.

He has good matches on a regular basis and brings a good energy, he just needs some signature spots. Well, some new signature spots. He should just go back and watch alot of early HBK and Ricky Steamboat, he'll be good to go.

• Like 2

He has tons of good matches, by there are only a handful I'd go above good in rating. There are a lot of WWE guys who are way less beloved for being great workers who have significantly better bodies of work.

• Like 1

I think my problem with Dolph is he hasn't improved since 2010. He had some good matches with the likes of Bryan and such even back then and everyone was talking about how it was a big breakout year for him but in what areas has he actually improved? He's the same guy with the same limitations.

He is over though and one of my favorite things in recent memory was the double turn between he and Del Rio. I loved that AJ was showing concern for Dolph, etc.  Heels are heels but why shouldn't they like one another or be loyal to one another?  

Same goes with Rusev and Lana. They legit CARE about one another when they are out there. Ditto Heyman and Brock.

• Like 3

Yeah, that Del Rio match is on the short list of great Dolph matches.

But... I personally think Del Rio pretty clearly has a better great match resume than Dolph does.

I don't dislike the guy, I just think the "great worker" rep far outstrips the reality.

• Like 2

Del Rio is going to be one of the more underrated guys of his generation. Everyone realizes he's good but he had been stuck in a lot of secondary feuds and nothing really stood out because he kept fighting a lot of the same guys. 

I guarantee you. Five or ten years from now people will look back and say "holy shit! Del Rio was fucking great! How'd they screw THAT up?"

• Like 6

With the exception of Brock "I'm just going to throw you across the ring until you stop moving" Lesnar and maybe Mark "I'm going to tell you all about this ass whipping while I give it to" Henry, nobody from this era has been as good at the heel control segments as Del Rio and his relentless destruction of a chosen body part.

• Like 3

Same goes with Rusev and Lana. They legit CARE about one another when they are out there. Ditto Heyman and Brock.

My favorite Rusev/Lana moment so far is when Big Show and Kane were getting ready to gang up on Rusev and he moved her out of harms way and walked tall on both of them. Granted it didn't end well, but it was so awesome. If roles were reversed and Show/Kane were the heels they are now it would have been an amazing baby face moment.

My favorite Rusev/Lana moment so far is when Big Show and Kane were getting ready to gang up on Rusev and he moved her out of harms way and walked tall on both of them. Granted it didn't end well, but it was so awesome. If roles were reversed and Show/Kane were the heels they are now it would have been an amazing baby face moment.

I think its really attention to the little details like that is what makes Rusev stand out as much as he does. He genuinely seems like he really cares about everything he does, which is more than I can say for a lot of guys.

• Like 3

Case in point on RAW this week:  Russian flag botch.  So what do they do?  Lana starts screaming and doing her little tantrum hop. Rusev starts yelling at the crowd and then goes and gets the Russian flag outside and starts furiously waving it.  

They didn't freeze at all. I couldn't even tell right away whether it was improv or planned.

Del Rio isn't exactly gone

see the new episode of Lucha Underground

so we have a long long time to see how much WWE will regret missing the boat on him.

Is it fair to say they really missed the boat on him, though? They pushed him really hard from the beginning and gave him four title runs, so it's not like he's Cesaro. They made some missteps, like not letting him beat Edge at Wrestlemania, and that half-assed face turn, but other than that they really tried to get the most mileage out of him they could. As far as his firing goes, he did assault a coworker, so it wasn't entirely out of line.

• Like 1

so we have a long long time to see how much WWE will regret missing the boat on him.

Is it fair to say they really missed the boat on him, though? They pushed him really hard from the beginning and gave him four title runs, so it's not like he's Cesaro. They made some missteps, like not letting him beat Edge at Wrestlemania, and that half-assed face turn, but other than that they really tried to get the most mileage out of him they could. As far as his firing goes, he did assault a coworker, so it wasn't entirely out of line.

Who had a history of making racial slurs and has not even been disciplined.

• Like 1

His face run really flopped, and he never had that connection to the audience.

I felt they neutered him though. I think he was a face during The Last Man Standing Match with Big Show and that was one of my favorite TV matches of the year. I think if you allow him to keep Ricardo around and give him the fancy cars or a hot valet he could have been a cocky arrogant "cool" babyface. I felt all they really needed to do is keep him exactly the same but change his opponents. Instead they had him pandering just as they do with Cena or Sheamus and now Roman Reigns. It doesn't work and Vince for whatever reason has not realized this.

Is it fair to say they really missed the boat on him, though? They pushed him really hard from the beginning and gave him four title runs, so it's not like he's Cesaro. They made some missteps, like not letting him beat Edge at Wrestlemania, and that half-assed face turn, but other than that they really tried to get the most mileage out of him they could. As far as his firing goes, he did assault a coworker, so it wasn't entirely out of line.Who had a history of making racial slurs and has not even been disciplined.

Oh yeah, dude had it coming. But you can't go around smacking people upside the head in a corporate environment and still be surprised when you get shitcanned.