DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Shawn Michaels did commentary for the Bret-Sid title match. He totally put Bret over as a wrestler while completely burying him as a person. We also saw the beginning of Bret's (U.S.) heel when he attacked HBK.

HBK sounded like he was pilled out of his mind on commentary.

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 1997

Mr. Hughes wasn't the best bodyguard Hunter Hearst Helmsley ever had; at one point he simply watched Goldust run right past him to attack his boss.

Our Man Johnson vs. Faarooq wasn't a great match, but it told the "one man vs. a gang" story very well. I loved Johnson's powerbomb of the nameless Nation member through the Rougeaus' (Reymond and Jacques Sr.) French announce table.

Vader got a nice career reboot by beating The Undertaker and getting Paul Bearer as his new manager. Too bad it didn't help his career that much.

The fans did not care about the lucha popcorn match. El Canek looked the best by press-slamming all three opponents. This influx of Mexican talent did not match up to the younger, faster stars WCW was using at the time.

Mil Mascaras' "oops! Silly me" self-elimination from the Rumble might have been more effective if Johnson hadn't eliminated himself over the top earlier in the match to go after Faarooq. All Johnson had to do was stay in the ring, and Faarooq would have come right to him.

Stone Cold Steve Austin lasted the longest in the Rumble, had the most eliminations, and won the whole thing, so he's the MVP of the show. Only Ric Flair has turned in a more complete, impressive Rumble performance.

Shawn Michaels was in the perfect place of love, acceptance and success after he won the WWF title in his hometown of San Antonio. That makes it all the more amazing that he "lost his smile" only a few weeks later. He just didn't want to lose to Bret Hart, which became even more clear later in the year. 

Our Man Johnson vs. Faarooq wasn't a great match, but it told the "one man vs. a gang" story very well. I loved Johnson's powerbomb of the nameless Nation member through the Rougeaus' (Reymond and Jacques Sr.) French announce table.

IIRC, in his shoot interview, Johnson said that guy owed him money so he chose him to take that powerbomb spot and he made sure to put some extra mustard on it.

• Like 1

Tully Blanchard is the absolute MVP of 85/86 Crockett TV. He's carrying every episode of World Championship Wrestling. Wrestles almost every episode, has at least one interview segment, oftentimes two. His feuds with Magnum and Dusty are the centrepiece of most episodes, even above Flair's feuds with Dusty and Garvin. I've been a fan of Tully for awhile, but seeing his week to week work has been mind-blowing.

Pretty amazing to see how small Crockett's basic roster was at the time. Besides JTTS and jobbers, its basically some combination of the Horseman, Russians, RnRs, Midnights, LOD, Magnum, Dusty, Barbarian, Jimmy Valiant, Ron Garvin, Sam Houston and Manny Fernandez each week.

• Like 2

So watching the newest Ride Along.  Saxton has to realize how awful he looks in this.  And if he does why the fuck would you want this as a gimmick.  

I guess we should be thankful they didn't do Ride Along during the 80's because who knows how offensive it would have been

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

So watching the newest Ride Along.  Saxton has to realize how awful he looks in this.  And if he does why the fuck would you want this as a gimmick.  

I guess we should be thankful they didn't do Ride Along during the 80's because who knows how offensive it would have been

On the plus side, WWE Game Night would be throwing empty beer bottles at road signs while driving over the speed limit. 

This was probably the worst of the ride alongs since it was awkward family dynamic of Ric and Charlotte and the totally scripted announcers trip.  Though I think I would be down for a JBL episode if the brief mention of ramming Mark Henry, D'Lo and TAKA's car because they were throwing chicken bones at them.

• Like 1

Contentious Statement:  After watching Survivor Series 94 and the Backlund "I feel like a God" promo, Diesel should've not gotten the title hotshotted to him 3 days later and Backlund should've had a serious run with the "I'm saving you from yourselves" character.  It worked for Bret later a couple years, but holy shit that Backlund promo was the promise of something that never came.

• Like 2

Bad opinion that I should feel bad about?  I watched the Last Battle of Atlanta and thought it was pretty dull. 

In that match, there any rhyme or reason to when the announcer counts vs not counting, by the way?

I also started the hidden gem Windham vs Flair match and got all misty for the good old days.  I know I mentioned him before, but that announcer (Tom Miller, maybe?) was the fucking best.

16 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Contentious Statement:  After watching Survivor Series 94 and the Backlund "I feel like a God" promo, Diesel should've not gotten the title hotshotted to him 3 days later and Backlund should've had a serious run with the "I'm saving you from yourselves" character.  It worked for Bret later a couple years, but holy shit that Backlund promo was the promise of something that never came.

I don't see anything contentious about that. I actually think that most everyone agrees that in hindsight, not hotshotting it onto Diesel and forcing him to be smiley, happy Diesel would've been the right call.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Bad opinion that I should feel bad about?  I watched the Last Battle of Atlanta and thought it was pretty dull. 

In that match, there any rhyme or reason to when the announcer counts vs not counting, by the way?

It's not the announcer counting. It's the referee announcing his pinfall counts and his "both men are down" ten counts over the house mic since he isn't inside the ring.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I also started the hidden gem Windham vs Flair match and got all misty for the good old days.  I know I mentioned him before, but that announcer (Tom Miller, maybe?) was the fucking best.

I said the same thing on our pod with sempervive.

Whether its the anticpation or being sensitized or just seeing better cage matches (magnum v tully), i didnt think it was all that special.

• Like 2

Gotta admit, the Last Battle is a blood-soaked spectacle. Rich and Sawyer both bleed to levels where you're too busy feeling sorry for them to enjoy the proceedings. It's probably not a classic cage battle, but it is a classic spectacle. Plus, it's refreshing in this day and age to watch a cage match where both guys aren't constantly trying to get out of the damn cage. Such a silly rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jstout said:

Gotta admit, the Last Battle is a blood-soaked spectacle. Rich and Sawyer both bleed to levels where you're too busy feeling sorry for them to enjoy the proceedings. It's probably not a classic cage battle, but it is a classic spectacle. Plus, it's refreshing in this day and age to watch a cage match where both guys aren't constantly trying to get out of the damn cage. Such a silly rule.

Maybe i am remembering this wrong, but i always thought escape the cage was mainly/purely a wwf thing. NWA was almost always a reg match inside the cage. 

Yeah, I was saying that since WWE is the only game in town now, all the current cage matches are escape rules. I consider the escape rules kind of cheap psychology and storytelling - will he escape? Will his opponent stop him? It's too easy.

• Like 1

The idea of the "escape the cage" rules back in the old WWWF was for guys like Bruno to beat the heel so badly that they would be left a crumpled, bloody mess unable to stop him from leaving.  It was supposed to be a "look how badass the face is" concept.   But "two men enter, one man leaves" kinda turned into "two men enter, two men try to leave" with Backlund and Hogan.

Since I just watched a couple - escape the cage does work better in tag matches were both members of a team have to escape.

There is a lot more psychology that goes into it that way and you have more options with your story