DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

And again, a massive, massive majority of their audience right now has probably never seen... what? 1991 WCW Saturday Night? Or they haven't seen it since it first aired. The Cost/Benefit isn't there for them to go overboard with things not yet digitized. The network isn't for us. There's no reason for it to be about us. It's much more important to them to shape how the current generations view wrestling history for years to come than to appease 1% of 1% of their potential audience, or something like that.

I'm sure I'm alone in wanting '92 WCW era WCWSN.  They got that on your fancy NWA stream, Matt D?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I'm sure I'm alone in wanting '92 WCW era WCWSN.  They got that on your fancy NWA stream, Matt D?

I have a 12-disc Dangerous Alliance comp. Plus, most of the WCW Pro Chicago episodes are online in one place or another (I love the Chicago centric feuds between Larry and Windham and then Larry and the Dangerous Alliance), and I think most of the Power Hours from that era too. 

• Like 1

Some of this stuff wasn't exactly hidden.   I have had the Bret-Funk Wrestlefest match on VHS tape since 1997 (the entire show).      Flair-Windham is on the Ultimate Flair WWE dvd and was a tape collector's favorite since forever.    Piper-Brisco is on the Piper dvd.     Race-Backlund is on the Best of MSG dvd, and Bret-Austin South Africa is on the Bret Dungeon Collection dvd.   I already had all of these.

• Like 1

Amused at these "Ok but do they have this year of WCW on that stupid NWA thing??" type comments considering they aren't on the WWE Network either and won't be for years and years at rate at which they upload anything pre 1996.

1 hour ago, goc said:

Amused at these "Ok but do they have this year of WCW on that stupid NWA thing??" type comments considering they aren't on the WWE Network either and won't be for years and years at rate at which they upload anything pre 1996.

NWA TV from 1985-1989 is pretty much up at this point (I think they just added a bunch of NWA 1988 or 1989 episodes. At their current pace, if they continue to focus on NWA/WCW monthly, we would have most of WCW's programming on the Network by the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018

2 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Some of this stuff wasn't exactly hidden.   I have had the Bret-Funk Wrestlefest match on VHS tape since 1997 (the entire show).      Flair-Windham is on the Ultimate Flair WWE dvd and was a tape collector's favorite since forever.    Piper-Brisco is on the Piper dvd.     Race-Backlund is on the Best of MSG dvd, and Bret-Austin South Africa is on the Bret Dungeon Collection dvd.   I already had all of these.

Cool story.

1 hour ago, goc said:

Considering the NWA Houston library clearly wouldn't have the rights to WCW era footage in the first place, such comments are pretty clearly in jest.

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Did anyone ever run Ali/Bockwinkel? Because I want to see that after the end of the Ali match in the Hidden Gems Collection. 

I almost enjoyed watching that.  The YouTube version from Wide World Of Sports with Cosell shitting all over it is intolerable.  Watch out Gorilla Monzon

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think "hidden gems" meant stuff that nobody has ever seen as much as it was highlighting stuff that most people probably hadn't seen

I really shouldn't be surprised by this, but seriously, this is the closest the WWE will ever come to performing an actual bonafide miracle.  They literally found and released the holy grail of matches.  I watched it and the experience was fucking surreal.  And some of you respond with "Eh, yeah, but I've seen all the other stuff" or "Hey what about the other Omni shows?"  

Some of you will never be satisfied.  Ever. 

And if WWE literally read some of the posts on this thread, good luck ever getting a round 2.  They turn water into wine and you complain that it wasn't whiskey.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I really shouldn't be surprised by this, but seriously, this is the closest the WWE will ever come to performing an actual bonafide miracle.  They literally found and released the holy grail of matches.  I watched it and the experience was fucking surreal.  And some of you respond with "Eh, yeah, but I've seen all the other stuff" or "Hey what about the other Omni shows?"  

Some of you will never be satisfied.  Ever. 

And if WWE literally read some of the posts on this thread, good luck ever getting a round 2.  They turn water into wine and you complain that it wasn't whiskey.

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that they, by their nature, created the demand in the first place. Of course tape traders never found the match no matter if they called tv studios or combed tape lists or bugged Tommy Rich.

How could they? WWE has been sitting on the footage for either fifteen or thirty years. This wasn't a case of them, with their superior connections tracking down a lead. There were no leads to track down.

They caused the problem in the first place by buying up footage and barely doing anything with it and by creating a product with a fanbase whose idea of history is what they're spoonfed so the market isn't there for them to do anything with it in the first place.

It would be like Indiana Jones finding the Holy Grail in his basement after everyone else spent years looking for it. It was just there the whole time. You're happy to have it but he's still sort of an asshole.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Or someone finally went through all the boxes in the citizen kane-like warehouse at the end of Raiders and found they had the Ark of the Covenant. 

Agreed.  Im sure they have a boat load of stuff and limited staff and equipment.  And I am sure there is a priority pecking order.  PPVs, Raws, Nitros front of the line.  Unmarked or undermarked random tapes wait until we have some time

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that they, by their nature, created the demand in the first place. Of course tape traders never found the match no matter if they called tv studios or combed tape lists or bugged Tommy Rich.

How could they? WWE has been sitting on the footage for either fifteen or thirty years. This wasn't a case of them, with their superior connections tracking down a lead. There were no leads to track down.

They caused the problem in the first place by buying up footage and barely doing anything with it and by creating a product with a fanbase whose idea of history is what they're spoonfed so the market isn't there for them to do anything with it in the first place.

It would be like Indiana Jones finding the Holy Grail in his basement after everyone else spent years looking for it. It was just there the whole time. You're happy to have it but he's still sort of an asshole.

This is so douchey, man.  They have a shit ton of tapes and very few people to go through them, as the previous two posts have noted.  In your mind, what should they have done differently?  Not bought the tapes, I guess.  Who's to say that, had they not bought the tapes, somebody's grandma wouldn't have ended up with the Last Battle of Atlanta and maybe taped Matlock over it? 

Why can't we just be happy we got this instead of being entitled goobers yelling WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?

• Like 3

Past issues of pure preservation, I think footage is better literally anywhere but the WWE libraries (with the exception of Mexico. I'd rather WWE have old CMLL footage than Televisa or wheover at this point, I think). We're not entitled to anything. They won. They control history. Vince sacrificed and crossed lines and took risks. But we're definitely not better off for it.

Maybe this is the start of a change in company policy. Hunter cares more about history (like when he told everyone to go watch Buddy Rogers matches on the network and there was nothing there). Hopefully it is.

You're crazy if you believe all of this footage would be better off in the hands of random individuals. 

There's not a situation where their own content wouldn't be first priority. It's not WWE spoon feeding anyone their own version of events. WWE has always been the big dog, New York was always the big dog, therefore, their own footage would always be at the top of the list for most people.

Blaming them because it takes time to sift through random reels labeled "Omni stuff" is so damn ridiculous I can't believe it's even a discussion.

• Like 5

What are the most exciting footage finds of the last 10 years?

Buddy Rose's Portland collection, the USWA Texas stuff, the Houston tapes, the Luce things that showed up on the Chicago archives, everything dataintcash is posting for old CMLL about 20% of which is new to us, the new AJPW matches that Our Friend in Japan was posting. I'm probably missing a few but what do all of these things have in common? Quantity. That 20% of new CMLL we've gotten out out of dataintcash is maybe what? 50 matches? That one source is more than the sum of the new matches we've gotten from the Network from all of their territories. 

Footage gets purchased by WWE to die in the short and medium terms.