DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

It's nice that we live in such blessed times that people have so much readily available to watch that they can ignore a slew of great, never before seen, matches just because they'd rather not watch something on a computer screen.

I mean, I work on a computer quite a bit, so I have eye strain issues that I don't have as much with television. 

I had NWA Classics On-Demand for awhile, and I would just hook up my laptop via HDMI to the TV, but I typically like to write as I watch, especially to write down thoughts on a match or dates or to do some no-look typing of another document that I need for my work while I watch. 

And to be honest, there is so much to watch that NWA On Demand falls in the pecking order simply based on inconvenience for me. In the last year, I watched a bunch of WCW, NWA, and old WWF shows on the Network and all the World of Sport on Youtube and Daily Motion, plus I got caught up with Lucha Underground - and all of these I was able to do on a TV screen that kept my laptop free. I'm going to be buying the Portland set from Goodhelmet in a few weeks, and I'll have that on DVD on top of the Network stuff that I still need to get caught up on. So, unfortunately, there's going to be something that I don't have time to watch, and with NWA On Demand being more inconvenient, that stuff will slip down the pecking order. Same with New Japan World.

I wish that I could spend my life watching everything I wanted to watch, but I can't, so I have to make choices somehow, right?

I have a small computer in my living room that is connected to one of my TV's HDMI inputs.  I use a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad combo to control it and that's how I watch WWE Network and any other online stuff or legally downloaded content.  It's a $300 - 400 expenditure that I don't regret.

It's hard to get yourself out there with no TV app when WWE Network, Sling, YouTube, and Daily Motion are all out there with apps on multiple devices that play wrestling in some form. NWA Classics is doing important historical work, but they need to at the very least give some of the same options. I can watch SDL, for example, on my TV, laptop, or phone. If NWA Classics would give me just one of TV or phone along with the laptop option, that would probably get me to move on it again since the price is so low. I can watch any of those other things on my phone while I'm at the gym or on lunch, or on TV while I'm doing something else on my laptop. I don't think it's some sort of weird WWE loyalty thing so much as WWE makes it as convenient as possible for the viewer to use their product in multiple ways and in multiple places.  

• Like 1

It's pretty easy to watch Classics in your phone through their website. I watched the Lothario vs Gran Markus match that way in the car while waiting for my wife to get out of a store a few weeks ago. Was a much better experience than going into Hobby Lobby.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Same with New Japan World.

That's long been the case, but as of a couple months ago they have Chromecast support.  If it's just that you don't have time for it then that I get.  But you should be able to watch it on TV and use your computer.

• Like 1

my card didn't even allow me to order New Japan. I don't disagree with you @Matt D,  I had been thinking about looking into NWA on Demand but @sydneybrown is absolutely correct too. People DO need to sign up and watch stuff like 'Last Battle of Atlanta' or else WWE just isn't going to bother releasing the rest of these hidden/rare matches. They know exactly what's being watched and what isn't.

I've seen people on other sites discussing ways to acquire the hidden collection WITHOUT giving WWE their money. Yeah, maybe times are rough for some. But holy shit, that is NOT the way to get WWE to release more stuff.

My thing about NWA On Demand is that no one is even seemingly taking advantage of the free week to try them out. I mean if you're worried about forgetting about it, you can cancel immediately after signing up and still get the full week without worrying about getting charged later.

The Canadian version of the network sucks. Last I checked it was still a cable channel and not an on demand service. No way in hell I'm paying to be spoon fed whatever programing they want to shove down the viewers throats. I want to view it the same way American viewers can.

I did however watch The Last Battle of Atlanta yesterday. It was great. Everything a cage match should be.

I am curious though if this was a recent find for them in the library of reels or if they knew they had it when they did the write up on the match years ago on their website.

You do have to order it through a cable company (they fucking own everything up here—ridiculous middlemen shit), but you can access the library on mobile and PC. No PS4 app unless you want to bypass the sum'bitches at Rogers/Shaw/Telus/wherever and use a VPN to sign up for the yankee doodle version. 

4 hours ago, mad cow said:

The Canadian version of the network sucks. Last I checked it was still a cable channel and not an on demand service. No way in hell I'm paying to be spoon fed whatever programing they want to shove down the viewers throats. I want to view it the same way American viewers can.

I did however watch The Last Battle of Atlanta yesterday. It was great. Everything a cage match should be.

I am curious though if this was a recent find for them in the library of reels or if they knew they had it when they did the write up on the match years ago on their website.

Begs to ask the question how much shit do they have, how much have they even looked at and how big is the staff going through everything.  I am sure the WCW and maybe ECW stuff was catalogued but I am sure they inherited a whack of unlabeled tapes/reels etc that are still sitting there waiting to be sifted through

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Begs to ask the question how much shit do they have, how much have they even looked at and how big is the staff going through everything.  I am sure the WCW and maybe ECW stuff was catalogued but I am sure they inherited a whack of unlabeled tapes/reels etc that are still sitting there waiting to be sifted through

The WWE library is supposedly at over 150,000 hours of content and less than a third of that has been digitized for the Network.  So yeah, that leaves over 100,000 hours worth of various stuff that mostly hasn't seen the light of day since it was first broadcast.  It would literally take over 12 straight years just to watch it all.

If you think about it, if they just "happened" to find the Last Battle of Atlanta, that's practically some needle in a haystack shit.

• Like 1

And again, a massive, massive majority of their audience right now has probably never seen... what? 1991 WCW Saturday Night? Or they haven't seen it since it first aired. The Cost/Benefit isn't there for them to go overboard with things not yet digitized. The network isn't for us. There's no reason for it to be about us. It's much more important to them to shape how the current generations view wrestling history for years to come than to appease 1% of 1% of their potential audience, or something like that.