DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

re: Last Battle of Atlanta

Hide contents

can someone identify the run-in at the end for me? obviously i'm not up on my 1983 NWA

That was Jake Roberts with the belt.  I am not sure who the other 2 guys were that saved Ole.

Watching the ending of that and man I thought Jake whipped Scrappy McGowan right in the face with that belt.  

• Like 1

While, yes, this is a uniquely special match to have obtained, I remain a little frustrated at the lot of you that are so into this but haven't given NWAOnDemand a look yet. I get it if you're someone who would just never watch something you couldn't stream to your TV, but otherwise? That thing is full of treasure, from the best Fantastics/Midnight Express match, to Andre vs Race, Gino vs Race, Halcon vs Race, Wahoo vs Race, Morton vs Bock, Tito vs Bock, Chavo Sr vs Bock, the Guerreros in general, Jose Lothario being the Jerry Lawler of the Southwest, Brisco vs Spoiler, Tito vs Reed, the Reed/JYD feud in general, Duggan being an awesome Ace babyface, an amazing Funk vs Lewin match, the only Brody vs Dusty singles match we have on tape, some great stuff with Dibiase and Doc and Doc vs the Freebirds, including that awesome Hayes vs Doc cage match which could be Hayes' career singles match and has a post match you guys would go nuts for, a bunch of Gino/Tully tags including vs Morton/Lucas for those people who wanted to see Ken Lucas, the amazing Johnny Valentine vs Bull Curry brawl, and so on. This stuff has been dropping since last July at a few a week, stuff that hasn't been seen for 30-40 years. 

I could be wrong and maybe WWE will release the full Omni show or another main event from a different one next month and this becomes a regular thing, but I think it's way more likely that we'll get another hidden Gems collection next September and that'll be that. It's blood from a stone. Meanwhile, this stuff keeps trucking along from the Houston library and barely anyone's paying attention.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

While, yes, this is a uniquely special match to have obtained, I remain a little frustrated at the lot of you that are so into this but haven't given NWAOnDemand a look yet.

I could be wrong and maybe WWE will release the full Omni show or another main event from a different one next month and this becomes a regular thing, but I think it's way more likely that we'll get another hidden Gems collection next September and that'll be that. It's blood from a stone. Meanwhile, this stuff keeps trucking along from the Houston library and barely anyone's paying attention.

for me personally, i have little/no connection with a lot of that stuff so it doesn't interest me. i had an investment into the Last Battle of Atlanta match (admittedly entirely because of the hype), but past that, not a whole lot caught my attention. i hope to really dig into 1980s NWA/territory stuff in a few years, but i'm just so swamped with other stuff right now i don't have an opportunity to fully embrace it. NWAOnDemand will absolutely be a big source for me when that time comes. i really hope it is able to hold on and be successful for that reason alone. Besides that, everyone should give it a shot because it does have an awesome lineup!

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

While, yes, this is a uniquely special match to have obtained, I remain a little frustrated at the lot of you that are so into this but haven't given NWAOnDemand a look yet. I get it if you're someone who would just never watch something you couldn't stream to your TV, but otherwise? That thing is full of treasure, from the best Fantastics/Midnight Express match, to Andre vs Race, Gino vs Race, Halcon vs Race, Wahoo vs Race, Morton vs Bock, Tito vs Bock, Chavo Sr vs Bock, the Guerreros in general, Jose Lothario being the Jerry Lawler of the Southwest, Brisco vs Spoiler, Tito vs Reed, the Reed/JYD feud in general, Duggan being an awesome Ace babyface, an amazing Funk vs Lewin match, the only Brody vs Dusty singles match we have on tape, some great stuff with Dibiase and Doc and Doc vs the Freebirds, including that awesome Hayes vs Doc cage match which could be Hayes' career singles match and has a post match you guys would go nuts for, a bunch of Gino/Tully tags including vs Morton/Lucas for those people who wanted to see Ken Lucas, the amazing Johnny Valentine vs Bull Curry brawl, and so on. This stuff has been dropping since last July at a few a week, stuff that hasn't been seen for 30-40 years. 

Did they ever get the Roku app working? That's what I was waiting for cause I don't like watching streaming on my computer. However, Bruce has put up a lot of gems so I might take a look at it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

That Piper/Brisco match they added is a great one. So simple yet so effective. There are so many little tricks of the trade that wrestlers could pick up from a match like this.

Piper's promo work before and after is included and it's masterful.

Piper/Brisco has been a favorite of mine since it showed up on Classics 4-5 years ago.  An amazing match considering it's probably 75% restholds.

Any idea how Piper just started bleeding from the forehead for no reason at all?  I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone get busted open by delivering a front facelock.

The Last Battle of Atlanta lived up to the legend. I didn't realize it was under pseudo death match rules. I was kinda wondering how someone would win if there was no referee and no escape. Good lord there was a lot of blood in that match...even for a early 80's NWA match. I loved the concept of the match. It could never happen again today. Could you imagine them trying to do that now in the WWE and the match having to be constantly stopped for the blood loss.

I had no idea there was a bonus match with Ole and Paul Ellering. Man that was a straight up mugging by Ole. Did Paul owe him money? That was kinda painful to watch at points. At least Paul made it a fight at one point. But man, Ole sure was a surly bastard.

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dory Funk Jr. is the matwork equivalent of your typical spot monkey. Does lots of holds, doesn't bother to show much struggle, and seems disinterested in selling half the time.

Imagine a world where DVDVR existed in 1969...

"Wrestlers these days don't know how to work. A body slam should mean something, but you have a guy like Dory Funk Jr who spams 5 of them in 2 minutes. Way to kill a great-looking move."

"Thesz could make you care about a short-arm scissor or a double headlock that lasted 5 minutes because it was all about the struggle. Funk doesn't even bother to try telling a story in there, he just tries to get cheap pops with business-exposing moves like those arm whips where his opponent bounces back off the ropes and the laughable sunset flip."

"God bless Kaniski for selling the back and trying to make some sense of this mess, but it's tough to make anything work with fucking Dory Funk Jr."

"NWA is pretty much unwatchable these days, I'll just stick to my film reels of Lou Thesz and Ray Gunkel."

• Like 12

I thought Ole brought an intensity (surprise, surprise) to the proceedings that was, initially anyway, lacking in the match proper. The first half or so was a bit slow for a huge blow off cage match to a blood feud, but the grinding pace worked out eventually. Now, the fact Ole continually mauled Paul with super stiff shots, stiff even for Ole, for a good 5 minutes before giving Precious anything certainly got old. The whole package was fun though and the amount of blood was ludicrous (and awesome—BLOODLUST). The thickness to Sawyer's crimson mask was sure something.

At this point it seems kinda dumb to spoiler tag it, but WTF:

Spoiler

It amazed me that Ellering just gets freakin' clobbered by Ole for minutes and minutes and minutes with absolutely no offense whatsoever - his only real thing to do is to cling on to Ole's leg for dear life - then kicks out of Ole's pin attempt. If I'd taken a one-sided clubberin' like that in a match I only got into because someone lost, I'd take the first way out given to me. I know he mounted a comeback quite a bit later, but still.

The Rich-Sawyer match was such a case of sorta less is sorta more - both guys were ab-so-lutely covered in blood to just a sickening degree, but hey, at least one of them didn't have to fly off the top of a gigantic cage and put the other one through an announcer's table, so there's that. It's amazing how they got so much mileage out of so few things, but the massive blood loss helps there considerably.

I can give the Ellering beating and the kicking out a pass because at that time he was more a wrestler than a manager.  It wasn't like he was some lower card guy either at that time if I remember.    If it was someone like a Humperdink or JJ Dillon in that situation yeah it would have been really stupid.

I was really liking the super bloody aspect of it all.  It was hate-filled and seemed like a struggle throughout for both.  The only thing I have a slight issue with is after each delivered the piledriver due to the ten count they couldn't really stay down for long.  I'd have gone for a different move that wasn't a finisher for many.  Other than that it was super fun.  I liked Ole-Paul it went way too long before Paul responded with anything.  I somehow ended up rooting for Paul for a time, yet at the end went back to rooting for Ole.  Couldn't recognize who that was initially doing the runin, but I'm sure that led to a heated feud.

EDIT:  While it didn't take anything away from the match, considering this was supposed to be a heated blood feud the crowd seemed relatively quiet.  Meltzer yesterday said that Atlanta was on a bit of downturn then, but I still expected more of a reaction than what we got.

Gotta say the Omni ring bell was AWESOME. Up there with MSG, MSC and the Sportatorium for old school gravitas.

Saw someone on FB bitching about how incompetent the WWE was for inadvertently sitting on this all along. Man, that doesn't even scrape the bottom of the barrel for incompetence. Now if they'd accidentally wiped the tape...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

This is all true and as much as people keep banging the drum of "When is WWE going to upload more territory footage!?" they do not give a flying fuck about message board posts or tweets. The best way to WWE's attention that "hey, maybe there is a demand for this stuff" is to subscribe to NWAOnDemand. It's not like the content that's on there isn't worth the price, it's fucking great stuff. They even give you a free week to try it out and see if you like it.

First off, the best way to get WWE's attention is for people to actually watch the collection.  They know exactly what is being watched and if Last Battle actually cracked their top 10 (or at least did better than Holy Foley), it might encourage them to do more digging and put more stuff out.  There's a reason all the Nitros are now up while Prime Time stays stuck in 1987 and TNT stays in 1985.

Secondly, NWA has just got to get a Roku channel.  I don't know what it takes or how much know-how is involved, but I gotta think if public domain channels can litter Roku, NWA can make it happen.  Hell, partner with Highspots and show them how it's done if need be.  I think they blew a massive opportunity not being on there from the start.

If you have either Chrome on Iphone or the Google Cast app on the phone is it possible to cast the site to the TV using Chromecast?  Roku is needed, but just a thought.  I'd love to sign up to NWAClassics but I don't have much time as it is.  I barely have time to catch the stuff on the Network and still need to see more of New Japan World.  I can only imagine how little time I'll have once I have kids.

Bruce says the Roku channel is coming. Apparently it's in the beta test process as in someone's actually beta tested it outside of their group. In fact, on the 27th, Tharpe said it was about 2 weeks away, so there you go. (Still, take that with a grain of salt).