DVDVR Message Board

Confessions of a wrestling fan

Going off on a slight tangent (what, me? never!)  I was kinda shocked, but in a good way, that Lance Storm's wrestling training is only like a month long.  He figures if you don't get it by then it's not worth it, and if you DO get it, then you're better off practicing and learning from as many people as you can.

Given his trainees, I think he might be onto something.

• Like 1

I like Konan. I like him even when he's shitty and terrible in WCW, and I like him even when he's shitty and terrible in AAA. 

I have a playlist on my phone with various wrestling music themes that have lyrics - Disco Inferno's theme, Paul Orndorff's "Wonderful" operatic theme, "Simply Ravishing" - and I sing along with them while I drive. 

Steve Simpson in a Global interview talking about the GWF being the 'Rolls Royce' of professional wrestling. I was embarrassed to go to these matches and my dad laughing because being from Dallas we knew the Sportatorium was next to 14 liquor stores and a bunch of homeless people.

I appreciate Jerry Lawler's charisma but I have no desire to ever watch him wrestle.  

When I was getting into wrestling it was the early 90's and he was just the annoying guy who ragged on Bret Hart.  I know there's a whole world of Memphis wrestling that no doubt shows why he's one of the best ever, but for me he's always just been a pudgy guy who wore a crown.

Hell of a talker though when he's not acting like your creepy uncle.

• Like 1

Disco's theme is so great, and I even liked him as a wrestler.  Such a fun gimmick.

I'm right there with you.  He has a match with Dean Malenko where he works his gimmick for all its worth while Malenko stays his stoic self.  Somehow their styles mesh really well and they put on a great match that makes both of them end up looking better than when they went in.  Malenko looked like a killer, and Disco looked like a guy who could probably hold his own against legit guys if he'd just stop being a dancing goof.  The Dancing Fools were great too.

I once made a fan-idol website for Mariko Yoshida for an HTML class I took in college

I made one in a design class for AJ Styles (mock up never went online). It was 2002. Me and a friend in class thought that TNA was gonna be something and AJ was pretty damn awesome.

Ahh. Youthful optimism.

Since we're on the subject of wrestling related academic efforts, my confession is that I'm doing my senior 100+ page IMC marketing thesis on AAA.

Also, I thought Carlito and Harry Smith would be multi-time champions and WM main eventers.

Wrestling and academia? I went to mortuary school because of the Undertaker and to a lesser extent, Paul Bearer. Most people go into the funeral industry because it's their family business. Not me. I don't admit that to anyone in the funeral business, only outsiders.

with cutoff jean shorts with a hole in 'em & a flannel tied around my waist like that was normal for a fat kid in the late 90's.

...it wasn't? I was a late '90s fat kid and I rocked the SHIT out of that look. And FWIW, I thought Val Venis was great at the time too. I thought that the gimmick had excellent "modern day Rick Rude" type potential. Of course, I was 11 so...

I know I've mentioned it on here before, but this thread necessitates me repeating that I love 2014 RVD. And I also loved RVD in TNA. 

I love RVD, man. I think it's because he was such a focal point of ECW TV when I discovered it. I was so young at the time, so it actually felt super rebellious to be up at 1 AM watching ECW on MSG, and the show was so much gritter than WCW and the WWF (though the WWF would ramp it up shortly thereafter). Plus, I always harbored this feeling like he would pop up as an NWO guy after this PWI article I read talking about his free agency/Mr. Monday Night thing, and I was a huge NWO fan. He was also awesome during the Invasion, and I absolutely felt he should have had the WWF title either in 2001 or 2002.

robvandragon.jpg

Unless one of you bought the APA "Always Pounding Ass" shirt, I doubt anyone tops my biggest wrestling t-shirt fashion faux pas. 

It's a real mystery why girls never paid attention to me in grade school. 

Didn't buy it, but my Uncle got me that APA shirt at WM 18. I wanted the other APA shirt. It's never been worn and someday I will somehow get JBL and Ron Simmons to sign it.

In the third grade the girl I liked was "going out" with another guy.  Inspired by Papa Shango I wrote out a threatening voodoo curse, painted bloody skulls and bones on it, and put it in his desk.  Shockingly this didn't win over the girl or improve my social standing.

In high school I was on the school paper and wrote about wrestling as much as possible, including a hard hitting look at the PTC during my senior year.  I also attended a local backyard fed to report on the action, but our teacher didn't see the journalistic value in covering the grudge match between "Big Sexy" Chris Woolf and Death Star Chad Michaels.

At my sisters wedding my cousin, also a wrestling fan, and I got so bombed we spent the last half of the reception "Scott Hall walkin'".

I can't do Japanese wrestling or Lucha and I have no desire to try.  Glad other people enjoy it, it's just not for me.

I thought D-Lo Brown was going to be a huge main event star.  Honest to god thought he was going to eclipse Rocky.  Sigh.

• Like 2

When I was 10, I tried getting myself over at school as "The Anvil". Given that no-one at my school watched any wrestling, and I was the only one in my basketball team with a name on the back of my singlet, let alone a gimmicked one, it was just met with confused looks and it was just quietly dropped.......until high school, when I publicly denounced my slave name and would only ever be referred to as "Sunjesh".

This also was simply a bad idea.

Please don't let me near your booking committee.

I thought D-Lo Brown was going to be a huge main event star.  Honest to god thought he was going to eclipse Rocky.  Sigh.

Dude, I'm with you there.  Loved D-Lo.  I was at a RAW taping in 2008 in OKC and when D-Lo came out for the dark match, I freaked out in nearly embarrassing fashion.  I also wasted my one front row RAW appearance in 2002 with a "PUSH D-LO" sign.

That's not even my confession...

I've watched zero of the Undertaker streak matches from WrestleMania 21-29.  Not Edge.  Not Batista.  Not Michaels.  Not HHH.  Not Punk.  I even OWN half of those shows.  And I can watch the others whenever I want.  I was never the Taker fan that others were I guess.  The outcome was never in doubt so I never cared.  I only watched 30 because I had already bought the Network.  Imagine my surprise.

And at the same time, the Lesnar-Taker HITC is in my top ten favorite matches of all time. 

Also, due to some petty bullshit on my part, I could have been in attendance to one of the greatest RAW main events of all time:  the 10-man Rock/Foley/Rikishi/Too Cool-DX/Radicalz match that was one of the hottest crowds ever.  My biggest wrestling regret.

I've never watched a single Jumbo match.  I'll probably watch one as soon as this week if I can find any of his matches from the Meltzer list on Youtube, but I've completely missed him on my puroresu excursions. 

Jumbo is like some genetically created ubermensch where the Funks and Baba took the best parts of a territory wrestler and merged them with the japanese style to create the ultimate 80s pro wrestler

So basically, if you love the territories or the storytelling involved in puro you'll love Jumbo

That's not even my confession...

I've watched zero of the Undertaker streak matches from WrestleMania 21-29.  Not Edge.  Not Batista.  Not Michaels.  Not HHH.  Not Punk.  I even OWN half of those shows.  And I can watch the others whenever I want.  I was never the Taker fan that others were I guess.  The outcome was never in doubt so I never cared.  I only watched 30 because I had already bought the Network.  Imagine my surprise.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually only like 2 of those matches.  Punk and Batista are the only 2 of that time period I feel like I can go back and watch.  I guess that's another confession for me.  I find most of Taker's Mania matches to be highly overrated.