DVDVR Message Board

Confessions of a wrestling fan

Wow, even the first Michaels match? I'd put that right up there in my top 10 I think

Man, you guys are crazy, Trips vs. Taker at 27 is one of the two best wwe matches so far this decade.

Never cared for either of these, especially the Triple H matches.  They come off as forced "epics" to me.  I have never liked that style of WWE match, and those 3 guys are the biggest users of that style.  It feels so unnatural and forced.

I got the 'forced epic' feeling from the Triple H matches for sure but to me that first Michaels match really had me on the edge of my seat. I get what you mean about the streak though, once it really became a thing the novelty sort of wore off.

I thought Orton should have ended it when he had his Legend Killer persona tbh or they shouldn't have ended it at all

I think the best of those Undertaker matches between 21 and 29 .vs Orton, followed by .vs Henry, one of two casket matches that were actually really good.

I thought each match in the HBK and HHH series got more overwrought and consciously epic. I disllike all of them, but I get why people really rate them highly. Just not for me.

Frankly, I feel like we've picked up enough new people in the last year or two, and given the loss of the old board, that we really need to do another "Let's break down, using specific examples, why Mark Henry, Jerry Lawler and the Big Show are much better much better wrestlers than Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, and Davey Richards." note. I'm sure that'd go well.

• Like 2

Frankly, I feel like we've picked up enough new people in the last year or two, and given the loss of the old board, that we really need to do another "Let's break down, using specific examples, why Mark Henry, Jerry Lawler and the Big Show are much better much better wrestlers than Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, and Davey Richards." note. I'm sure that'd go well.

I got this confrontational lesson for the first time on a different board back at the beginning of 2006. I'm pretty sure DVDR was leaking. 

In '05 I was all about Angle vs Michaels until someone opened my mind regarding what a great run Rey and Eddie were having. Pretty sure that was DVDR leaking as well. 

I'm traditionally a Kane fan too, but right now he's just the pits.

I'm always surprised that more people don't prefer the second Shawn/Taker Mania match to the first. Clearly better, in my opinion. The Trips matches are laughably bad to me, especially the first (second).

i loved the first HBK vs Taker 'Mania match. but i feel that if i'd go back and re-watch it i would hate it, so i haven't seen it since it happened. their sequel, and both with HHH, i found really lame and boring.

going against the DVDVR grain, i'm a big HBK fan. i love all of his matches. his promos and schtick during '97 was horrible, but at the time i loved it. going back now and rewatching it, i can't stand it, but i'd rather watch him in the ring than pretty much anybody else. except the Rockers. they came along a bit before my time, and by the time i had discovered them i wasn't impressed.

as someone else stated, my favorite promotion is/was WCW. the "Alliance" period of WWF is probably my favorite thing they've ever done. it was so refreshing for a number of reasons. Heyman was AMAZING on commentary with JR. fresh matchups every week. so many titles, yet each one still had its own identity and purpose.

and most of all, my friends all hated on the whole angle, and i championed it by cheerleading for WCW. every week. every match. i relished every victory and mourned every loss. it was so engaging.

if i made a top 20 list of my favorite wrestlers, i'd have a pretty large number of jobbers and low card guys on there.

• Like 1

I liked all four of the Wrestlemania matches. Both with Shawn & Hunter. "Fake epic?" Who gives a fuck? That's what the entire year of 2005 in ROH was too & it was still awesome. We get it once a year, is that really a bad thing?

Hate to break it to you guys but all the epic matches are fake epics

Liked for comedy, but there's a difference between having an epic match, and setting out to have an epic match, but failing, and only managing to convey "we wanted this to be epic"

My definition of a legit epic, that just happens naturally in front of you, is something like Austin vs Angle at Summerslam, or Flair vs Steamboat, just to name a couple.  Everything now is built to make sure it's an "epic".  There should be some level of unknown going into a match, wondering what you're going to get.  Most of the time with major WWE matches in the last few years, you can figure out 9 times out of 10 what kind of match you'll get before it starts.

Man, you guys are crazy, Trips vs. Taker at 27 is one of the two best wwe matches so far this decade.

It was a great match, but let's not get carried away.....

I'm not.  I left open the possibility that Brock/Cena from 2012 is better.

Seriously, I'm well aware that I love that match more than just about anyone else alive (fuck, I might love it more than Triple H does himself) but I thought it was pretty much the definition of a flawless ***** classic in the WWE Main Event Style.

Honestly the Shawn hate kind of baffles me. I usually don't get into it with people here because it's been done to death and I think everyone is just over it.

I will say putting Shawn into a grouping with Angle and fucking Davey Richards should earn Matt D a vacation though :P