DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

I think a big part of what made the original trilogy so popular with people for decades was that every little thing wasn't explained in 300 comics/novels. Whereas there are about 30 pages of intricate details on every aspect and history of Vader's suit, or every extra in TFA. Star Wars made kids at the time come up with their own stories. For decades now, everything has been thought out and everything has a story. All the EU stuff takes away from the mystery and fun, imo. That's how I've seen it, at least. I wasn't around when the OT came out, so this is all speculation. 

I think a big part of what made the original trilogy so popular with people for decades was that every little thing wasn't explained in 300 comics/novels. Whereas there are about 30 pages of intricate details on every aspect and history of Vader's suit, or every extra in TFA. Star Wars made kids at the time come up with their own stories. For decades now, everything has been thought out and everything has a story. All the EU stuff takes away from the mystery and fun, imo. That's how I've seen it, at least. I wasn't around when the OT came out, so this is all speculation. 

At my house the Rebellion won WWII for us by defeating the Planet of the Apes guys at the great Battle of the Hot Wheels Carwash.

I played out a scenario where Darth Vader worked for Cobra and was a god. The GI Joes couldn't stop Cobra because they had Darth, so they had to find black clothed Luke and Chewie to even the score. The GI Joes also built the Millennium Falcon in time to shoot down all of Cobra's bubble jets.

C3PO and BAT had a fight too.

At my house the Rebellion won WWII for us by defeating the Planet of the Apes guys at the great Battle of the Hot Wheels Carwash.

Disney needs Pixar to make something Toy Story style with all of the late 70's action figures Disney own's the rights to or can get the rights to. Come on Star Wars good guys, Marvel good guys, The Black Hole good guys, The Six Million Dollar Man and Evel Knievel with his stunt cycle vs. Star Wars bad guys, Star Wars knock off action figures, Marvel bad guys and various girls toys would be amazing.

The wait for Avatar 2 is getting ridiculous.  Seriously, the current projected wait is longer than the time it took to get from T1 to T2.  I get that it's Cameron and all.  Avatar is still the biggest worldwide movie all time.  The movie will do well, I just can't fathom this insanely long wait.  It certainly hasn't done Sam Worthington's career any favors.

Fox has set no new date for the sequel or the two other planned followups to the 2009 sci-fi blockbuster

“Avatar 2,” the first of three sequels to director James Cameron‘s 2009 3D sci-fi blockbuster, will not be ready in time for its planned Christmas 2017 release via Twentieth Century Fox.
The studio on Thursday declined comment on the delay, which individuals with knowledge of the situation confirmed. There is no new release date set for the movie, or word on the two other sequels, which Fox had planned to release in the same holiday corridor in 2018 and 2019.
It’s the second delay for “Avatar 2,” which Fox had originally planned to release by Christmas of this year. Cameron intends to shoot all three films in the trilogy at the same time in New Zealand, with Cameron and Jon Landau producing through Lightstorm Entertainment. Soundstage construction and some computer animation work is in the early stages, but a start date for filming has not been set.

Fox has set no new date for the sequel or the two other planned followups to the 2009 sci-fi blockbuster

“Avatar 2,” the first of three sequels to director James Cameron‘s 2009 3D sci-fi blockbuster, will not be ready in time for its planned Christmas 2017 release via Twentieth Century Fox.
The studio on Thursday declined comment on the delay, which individuals with knowledge of the situation confirmed. There is no new release date set for the movie, or word on the two other sequels, which Fox had planned to release in the same holiday corridor in 2018 and 2019.
It’s the second delay for “Avatar 2,” which Fox had originally planned to release by Christmas of this year. Cameron intends to shoot all three films in the trilogy at the same time in New Zealand, with Cameron and Jon Landau producing through Lightstorm Entertainment. Soundstage construction and some computer animation work is in the early stages, but a start date for filming has not been set.

All I can think is Fox going "Oh shit, we'll have to go up against Star Wars VIII"... (grabs phone)..."Hey James, take your time".

Fox is in a no win situation.  They go head to head against Episode 8, they'll get crushed.

They move to the Spring, they run up against Disney's Jack & The Beanstalk and The Flash. They move to the following summer they go against Avengers, Toy Story 4, Jurassic World 2, Aquaman, and Spiderman.  All of which will cut into their bottom line.  

Unless Cameron has something unbelievable in mind, Avatar 2 may be a huge failure.  (Note, for a sequel whose predecessor made $2.7B, I'm guessing Fox will call anything less than $1B a failure)

I'm guessing they'll move to early February where there's a little breathing space and A2 may be able to get some legs.  

The world was definitely clamoring for another Jack and the Beanstalk movie

B0ONbl0.png

Four weeks into its theatrical run, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the film was on track to lose between $125 million and $140 million for Legendary Pictures, suggesting that the film would likely close at $200 million worldwide, short of its combined production and marketing budget.[37]

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_o24owmn8ES1shiv3ro1_500.png

Not saying this is everyone (because there are people that adore and love this film), but if we're talking about casual film-goers and the mainstream...yeah, this is shockingly accurate.

Avatar is the anti-Star Wars in that respect. There's not one thing that ever gets quoted from it.   

Nah. It's derivative. Pretty, but derivative. Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator 2, unless you think financial success is an indicator of quality.