DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The correct move would be to have Jinder Mahal three months from now attack Hook on PPV. Jinder can say he just made AEW and Hook relevant again.

Jinder comes out while Hook is in the ring and cuts a promo calling out Hook not realizing that he's in the ring with him.

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2024 at 7:46 AM, Matt D said:

Tony looks like the dad in an 80s sitcom where a lovable Soviet soldier accidentally lands in America and befriends the kids of a suburban family and they have to hide him from the nosy neighbors.

I'm eagerly awaiting this Cannon Group production.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I've known Anthony/Santino casually for about 15 years. I remember joking with him about how much better a Russian he was that Nikita Koloff. Dude is a legit judoka (he actually trained a friend's daughter to multiple championships) and I'm so glad for him to get this booking against a legend like Sakuraba. 

Edit: i bet he must be once again be  training like a real aminal for this match lol

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Peck said:

Add Von Wagner to the list of WWE Releases.

This last stretch he was not too bad, but his first stretch in NXT he might have been the single worst actor I've seen on WWE TV. Yes, worse than Austin Theory.

That hype video is something else, dude is a straight killer (and bonus points for the Conan rip!). It's crazy that a guy who could have blown up to a likely King of Pancrase years earlier ended up being one of the funniest comedy guys in wrestling, then a super serious trainer, and is now gonna have a dream match with the freakin' Gracie Killer. 

15 hours ago, caley said:

This last stretch he was not too bad, but his first stretch in NXT he might have been the single worst actor I've seen on WWE TV. Yes, worse than Austin Theory.

That lisp of his was so bad that he was almost hard to decipher.  Which led to the classic CUM TOOTHDAY meme that people are still using.   Going from Kyle O Reilly to Robert Stone was a huge upgrade in being able to promote himself 

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'ジョシュ・バーネット ブラッドフポーツ 武士道 桜庭和志 和志 桜庭 KazushiSakuraba Kazushi Sakuraba VS. サンティーノ・マレラ マレラ SantinoMarella Santino Marella'

I thought Santino's neck was fucked six ways from Sunday?  

Also... can he actually use the Marella name?  Unless the E let the copyright lapse?

He used the name in TNA/Impact recently, so he must've had the rights to it.

He did a match or a couple there, too. He was on one of the last Bloodsport shows, as well. So, I think he can at least work a little.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Cameron Grimes (Trevor Lee) to the release list

I'd guess he's a surefire pickup for AEW or TNA.  I put slightly better odds on TNA but I hope it's AEW, as I've missed the Carolina Caveman.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'd guess he's a surefire pickup for AEW or TNA.  I put slightly better odds on TNA but I hope it's AEW, as I've missed the Carolina Caveman.

Slightly off topic, but I happened to catch Impact from the first week of April on the YTTV channel, and they're pretty quietly building kind of a cool roster - like, I definitely didn't have Mustafa Ali vs Rhyno or Ziggler vs Alexander on my bingo card this year (at the f'n ECW Arena, no less). Don't get me wrong: I'm always down for more fresh faces in AEW, but dare I say it, I'm beginning to think TNA is no longer quite the death sentence it once was post-Hogan & Friends

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Slightly off topic, but I happened to catch Impact from the first week of April on the YTTV channel, and they're pretty quietly building kind of a cool roster - like, I definitely didn't have Mustafa Ali vs Rhyno or Ziggler vs Alexander on my bingo card this year (at the f'n ECW Arena, no less). Don't get me wrong: I'm always down for more fresh faces in AEW, but dare I say it, I'm beginning to think TNA is no longer quite the death sentence it once was post-Hogan & Friends

It's been really good for a few years now. The roster is, like you said, really interesting and they cycle people through quite a bit, so no one gets too stale.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I thought Santino's neck was fucked six ways from Sunday?  

Also... can he actually use the Marella name?  Unless the E let the copyright lapse?

He has been wrestling a few matches each year since 2017 according to cagematch.

I assume WWE either let the copyright lapse or his relationship with them is just that good. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

At the very least he is a main eventer at Deadlock Pro given their location.  But I would think TNA would be interested 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I could see Trev salvaging the Matt Hardy signing if they book it right.

• Like 2

Grimes crypto-millionaire gimmick was basically the first time WWE has ever been up on a current events gimmick rather than months...years....behind. The fact that it somehow lead to him being one of the most over faces on the NXT roster was a testament to Grimes' personality. His main roster run was sabotaged by coming up when Vince was in charge and didn't get/didn't care about him or his gimmick, so by the time he was out Grimes was already basically seen as a JTTS and probably too late/too small to rehab his image.

I still kinda think he has "it" to some degree and could be a big player for someone down the line: AEW, TNA or I could even see him being a good fit in Japan.

• Like 4