DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

Really is fun to see an athlete just mark the hell out when they're handed the WWE championship belt:

Just a reminder, this Thursday....  DEAN~!  

• Like 7

Matt and I were just talking about who out there would left on a realistic bucket list of people to see live. 

Off the top of my head, I think it might only Casas, Virus and Blue Panther, since I got to see Hechicero in Baltimore when he and UG and Okamura came to Baltimore for ROH. I got to see Danielson wrestle Quack at the one ROH Philly so went to in 07 or 08. Got to see Regal wrestle Benoit at the 2000 Pillman show. Lots of guys went through Chikara, especially during KOT. Maybe 70+ year old Mike Jackson? Maybe Gunther, depending on the opponent. 

Not sure who else there might be.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Matt and I were just talking about who out there would left on a realistic bucket list of people to see live. 

Off the top of my head, I think it might only Casas, Virus and Blue Panther, since I got to see Hechicero in Baltimore when he and UG and Okamura came to Baltimore for ROH. I got to see Danielson wrestle Quack at the one ROH Philly so went to in 07 or 08. Got to see Regal wrestle Benoit at the 2000 Pillman show. Lots of guys went through Chikara, especially during KOT. Maybe 70+ year old Mike Jackson? Maybe Gunther, depending on the opponent. 

That's awesome.  I'll sometimes look at old arena reports and be reminded of people I saw wrestle live.  Usually it'll be some weird outlier like Bobo Brazil (he worked a legends battle royal on a WWF show). 

I think the coolest "bucket list" wrestler was that I was there for Bruno Sammartino's final match.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think the coolest "bucket list" wrestler was that I was there for Bruno Sammartino's final match.  

So the old Italians in the audience were thrilled for Bruno and the rest were big into Hogan?

that whole match is up there for the people collecting local promos but so far I don’t think they’ve found any promos for the Hogan/Bruno team

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

So the old Italians in the audience were thrilled for Bruno and the rest were big into Hogan?

that whole match is up there for the people collecting local promos but so far I don’t think they’ve found any promos for the Hogan/Bruno team

LOL I was almost 14 years old, I can't remember. 

Apparently the only thing that exists is one pic:

hogan-sammartino.jpg

Apologies for not getting some shots on a Polaroid or maybe Kodak Disc. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Somewhere in the house, I have the pictures I took at the civic center at a JCP show in Feb 86. 

That's awesome.  My first-ever wrestling show was a WWF house show in January of 86 in that building.  I didn't catch a Crockett show until December of 86, the Bunkhouse Stampede.

Never made a bucket list for wrestling as I’ve been to so few shows.

I’ve only been to 3 AEW shows, one WWF show (the Edge debut match taping), 2 CMLL shows in Mexico, and one local Indy show in Austin. Somewhere I have the flyers/posters for the lucha shows but one of them was seeing Mistico in 2001 in Cuernavaca with a front row seat, when I didn’t know who half the guys on the card were (I was most stoked for Shocker). I’m 90% sure I got to see Dr. Wagner Jr when I went to Arena Coliseo, and maybe Negro Casas, and I think the best Masacarita Sagrada.

I got to see the official formation of the Blackpool Combat Club, Punk-Dax singles, and Sting and the Hardyz in Austin. Okada in Philly before he was All Elite (and Flair, thankfully not wrestling), and RVD. Dustin a few times.

Edited by JLowe
Edit to show it was 2001 when I saw CMLL in Cuernavaca
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I crossed a bunch off in one night way back when (Rey Mysterio, Sting, Scott Steiner, PCO, Great Muta!) but the quiet part is that it was a Russo-era Nitro and not a single one of them was in a match that could even remotely be called anything more than 'watchable ' much less 'memorable'. But still...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I’ve only been to 3 AEW shows, one WWF show (the Edge debut match taping), 2 CMLL shows in Mexico, and one local Indy show in Austin. Somewhere I have the flyers/posters for the lucha shows but one of them was seeing Mistico in 2001 in Cuernavaca with a front row seat, when I didn’t know who half the guys on the card were (I was most stoked for Shocker). I’m 90% sure I got to see Dr. Wagner Jr when I went to Arena Coliseo, and maybe Negro Casas, and I think the best Masacarita Sagrada.

I got to see the official formation of the Blackpool Combat Club, Punk-Dax singles, and Sting and the Hardyz in Austin. Okada in Philly before he was All Elite (and Flair, thankfully not wrestling), and RVD. Dustin a few times.

I got to see El Hijo del Santo in TJ in 2000, amongst others. I don't remember who was on the show when we went in 2004. Don't remember if Wagner was on either show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

LOL I was almost 14 years old, I can't remember. 

Apparently the only thing that exists is one pic:

hogan-sammartino.jpg

Apologies for not getting some shots on a Polaroid or maybe Kodak Disc. 

Was Bruno originally scheduled to be in the match, he was doing a decent amount of fill in duty during this time. 

Whenever Punk talks about AEW, I feel like I felt watching the BatB 2000 episode of DSotR where I pretty much agreed with Vince Russo's take on things and felt bad about doing it. Ugh, I'm agreeing with Vince Russo, but then I hear the other side of that story from Eric Bischoff and it reluctantly leads me to feeling that professional bullshitter Vince Russo is probably the closest to the truth. 

• Haha 3

Bucket List Type Items:

My second live event was at the Scranton Catholic Youth Center in 1982 when I was 9 years old.  I got to tap Andre The Giant on the arm.  He was truly larger than life and I feel it's something I can tell younger people about today and not sound like Grandpa Jones telling falsehoods about things being bigger or better back in my day.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JLowe said:

I've been to six WWE house shows. I have to consider travelling, queuing and sitting which leaves me knackered with the CP so I don't go to a lot.

I've seen:

• Daniel Bryan. To get Bryan at my first wrestling show meant the world as he's my GOAT. Timed it right as two days later he was pulled from the tour.
  • WALTER. This was huge as he rarely did house shows at the time. Better still he wrestled Cesaro one on one in a dream match. Best wrestling match I've seen live. People who had RAW roster tickets were rightly pissed.
  • Cesaro.
  • Roman Reigns.
  • Ric Flair.
  • AJ Styles.
  • Rey Mysterio.
  • Randy Orton.
  • Sami Zayn.
  • Sasha Banks.
  • Bayley.
  • Becky Lynch.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I've been to six WWE house shows. I have to consider travelling, queuing and sitting which leaves me knackered with the CP so I don't go to a lot.

I've seen:

• Daniel Bryan. To get Bryan at my first wrestling show meant the world as he's my GOAT. Timed it right as two days later he was pulled from the tour.
  • WALTER. This was huge as he rarely did house shows at the time. Better still he wrestled Cesaro one on one in a dream match. Best wrestling match I've seen live. People who had RAW roster tickets were rightly pissed.
  • Cesaro.

It's on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AB91MB8lRWw&pp=ygUQd2FsdGVyIHZzIGNlc2Fybw%3D%3D

Clash at the Castle 1 was a Stadium Show (in a city that doesn't have a Castle). Clash at the Castle 2 is in the Glasgow Hydro (also in a city that doesn't have a Castle; They're thinking of Edinburgh). But the first ever Pro-Wrestling show at the Glasgow Hydro, right after it opened, was a TNA House Show. Part of TNA's UK tour that year. There are 4 Football Stadiums in Glasgow (The National Stadium, plus grounds for Rangers, Celtic and Partick Thistle), running a building with a 14,300 capacity as Clash at the Castle just seems like they're devaluing the brand immediately.

• Like 1