DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

And the 15 IT guys thought it could've just been an email

14 think it could have just been an email or discussed in the Teams chat while waiting for the one other who endlessly babbles about inane shit to shut his pie hole so they can get back to work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, JohnnyJ said:

Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read this. I hope you're happy with yourself.  

On 1/2/2024 at 2:38 PM, Octopus said:

Adding you to the Lion Tamer wishlist

C88-C0210-B801-4-FE6-93-C0-DEBBF29-E91-F

stumbled on this, @JohnnyJ

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I actually had no idea who he (Hausman) was until this weekend. I was just googling the AEW card going into World's End. All I got were headlines about "ALLEGATIONS".

i remember the Brawl Out scrum and interaction with Punk happening, but Hausman was a nobody so it wasn't worth remember who the "journalist" that started the whole rant was. 

a couple months back, when NWA announced a "tv" deal, it was Hausman who leaked that it was CW. I wasn't the only one questioning if he was even a reliable source.

now this Jericho stuff. he is certainly getting his name out there, i will say that.

You need to see Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada 2 from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18 today. I liked the AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 match more than most even though I hated the seizure sell by Bryan Danielson but turned out it was to get his broken arm looked at. I think those who didn't will enjoy the rematch more. I'd like to find out what people here make of it. I find the Forbidden Door match an interesting example of when a significant injury happens and carrying on regardless finishing the match. Wrestlers are tough gutting out injuries but it's the medical team/backstage producers who should protect them from themselves. Health is more important than completing a match.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

You need to see Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada 2 from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18 today. I liked the AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 match more than most even though I hated the seizure sell by Bryan Danielson but turned out it was to get his broken arm looked at. I think those who didn't will enjoy the rematch more. I'd like to find out what people here make of it. I find the Forbidden Door match an interesting example of when a significant injury happens and carrying on regardless finishing the match. Wrestlers are tough gutting out injuries but it's the medical team/backstage producers who should protect them from themselves. Health is more important than completing a match.

I plan on watching tonight - we were a day behind on Dynamite so everything got kinda bumped up a little.

Like you (and many) I didn't love that sell at FD but at the same time, I sort of thawed on it a little after digesting his 'bag of tricks' comments from the scrum after.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Following up on a conversation from last week's TV thread with @AxB and @Shartnado, the only other "free older PPV" I can see digging through AEW+ is Full Gear 2019.  So the jury is still out on specifically how this new feature works.

Thanks for reminding me to post about this - might be old news (I'm always out of the loop on this stuff) but in looking for last night's show online, I noticed there's a bunch of old TVs from 2020-'21 on Prime. I thought that was kinda interesting - though I'm operating under the assumption that's a Turner thing, not an AEW thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NJPW New Year Dash 2024 spoiler:

Spoiler

The lineup is a mystery which started with last year's event. Best thing about the show was Bryan Danielson and Zack Sabre Jr going at it for six minutes in an eight man tag: Zack Sabre Jr/ Shane Haste/Mikey Nicholls/Kosei Fujita (TMDK) defeated Bryan Danielson/Kazuchika Okada/Jon Moxley/Tomohiro Ishii.Zack Sabre Jr challenged Bryan Danielson to a rematch and says he'll tap him out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I plan on watching tonight - we were a day behind on Dynamite so everything got kinda bumped up a little.

Like you (and many) I didn't love that sell at FD but at the same time, I sort of thawed on it a little after digesting his 'bag of tricks' comments from the scrum after.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers, pal.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:04 PM, HumanChessgame said:

14 think it could have just been an email or discussed in the Teams chat while waiting for the one other who endlessly babbles about inane shit to shut his pie hole so they can get back to work.

THIS IS JUST A SCRUM TOO.  😠

• Haha 2

That was a fun match to watch! The gut wrench ring step facebuster is a cool spot. Blackman's split punch ruled. 2001 is so long ago (and I was discovering high school parties back then) that I can't remember if he did that as a regular move but I dug it.

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
Gut not "guy wrench"
  • Like 1

I do remember that because it was the same episode with the Saturn/Mike Bell match.  Low Ki and Xavier wrestled that show, too.

• Like 5

1. I forgot how jacked Blackman was.

2. It's always jarring seeing how much offense was Irish-whip based in attitude era matches. Pro wrestling hasn't changed as much from 2000-2024 as it did from 1976-2000, but there are some very noticeable stylistic differences that date those matches without even getting into the obvious entertainment-side tropes.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

1. I forgot how jacked Blackman was.

And keep in mind that was the physique he went with after getting sick for several years and turning towards martial arts. He was even bigger when he actually started wrestling.

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

And keep in mind that was the physique he went with after getting sick for several years and turning towards martial arts. He was even bigger when he actually started wrestling.

This is from over 10 years prior

• Like 2

In the Forever Hardcore doc he said said introduction was in the form of Penthouse Magazine photos. 

There was a pic here posted of Blackman where he was just enormous, even bigger than there. It was given to Vince by someone and he was set to come in before catching I believe malaria or yellow fever in South Africa and got laid up for TWO YEARS in bed. 

• Like 1

Wasn't Kimona/Leia Meow also another of Raven's discoveries via some gentlemen's establishment?

Scott Levy, the original John Laurinaitis.

• Haha 4

Beulah was in Stampede as Brian Pillman's sister I think.

When Raven was in ECW, he also had a regular job outside of wrestling. He was a DJ. In a Strip Club. That's where he met all of those nice, friendly people he knew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1