DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

40 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

Hard disagree. Love adderrall-postin Tony. Picking petty feuds, talking shit, being weirdly defensive, making personal attacks on his perceived enemies. One of us! One of us!

Something I have been thinking about as it relates to AEW attendance cooling off and just using the old scientific anecdotal eyeball test: AEW is wrestling for like 30+ year old dorks. There is inherently a limit to how many of those there are (many of them, myself included are right here on this forum!). Whereas WWE, whether I (a definitely 30+ year old dork) like it or not, makes wrestling for kids which is, at least in my lifetime, who wrestling is for. I don’t get LA Knight, but he’s not FOR me. The kids love him. He says wacky stuff, he looks kinda like George Michael (the kids still dig him, right?) and he has perfectly serviceable punch and kick matches. It’s brand new stuff if you’re 10! And the only way to grow your base is making new fans out of little kids or the elusive (non-existant) casual.

The most casual exposure AEW has gotten (assuming nobody gets too mad about the quarters thing) is through the very WWE-ish Jade and through the very kid friendly Orange Cassidy. It may just be that you need kids to drive attendance because if you are 8, you gotta go with your parents. That’s at least double the tickets. I went to Wrestledream and had a blast but anyone under 15 looked like they would rather be in a library.

It’a a tough needle to thread. I tend to think that the more different the alternative to WWE is, the better, but financially I may be wrong. I tend to love beautiful failures and not taking a dump truck of cash from the Saudis, so nobody should come to me looking to fix their business decisions, but it’s definitely been a strange feeling to go to live events and be missing that vibe of young true believers.

You have a great point there.

I went to a Collision and a Smackdown within a couple weeks of each other. Now, I had my son with me at Collision and he had a blast, but it wasn't a kid-heavy crowd at all. He didn't come with me to Smackdown, and it was so full of kids, and they were really into the stuff they saw in the arena. Now, that was the Smackdown after Bray and Funk passed away, so a lot of the show was video packages for them. You could sense the kids getting a bit antsy during those, but they were way into like Cody's entrance and the LA Knight promo (also concur that he's very not for me).

Collision had much more action in the arena, while Smackdown had something like four matches in the two hour show. But, just the presentation of everything, from the merch to the lights to the video screens, everything at WWE was geared "younger" for sure.

Recently, my son "discovered" some recent WWE stuff on youtube and has been into it. He still likes to watch AEW, but he has more fun mimicking WWE guys like Knight and Cena. I've seen a little lately with him, and I can see how the presentation would be more appealing to him. It's still not my thing, but I definitely see the appeal. I mean, it definitely makes sense for WWE to target kids. A lot of us got hooked when we were young and became customers for life. Personally, I'm still glad there's something like AEW that caters more to my personal taste in what I'd like pro wrestling to look like. But, generally, it's cool that the options even exist right now.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

One thing just about everyone agrees on is that Tony Khan needs to stay off Twitter for a while.

No, I can confirm there are two sides. Tho, granted, those of us amused and/or pleased with Tony sharing his thoughts seem to be a much smaller group. I find it impossible not to enjoy everything he's been posting. For example, Shawn Michaels, Helmsley, Undertaker and Cena are four of my all time least favorite performers, so I just can't help but love this barrage of tweets. 

I find it very interesting how many ppl feel personally insulted by Tony sharing his opinions. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

TK is the only good billionaire, but his billionaire tendencies still show through sometimes. He gets very Elon-like online.

I don't entirely disagree - I guess, if anything, I'm a bit surprised how similar the 'Elon-like' and 'ECW Hard Core Cafe Chatroom User' dispositions are at times

I couldn't care less what TK says on Twitter. He's just doing it to rile people up and he doesn't give a fuck. This isn't a publicly traded company and WBD doesn't give a shit. None of it hurts their viewership or attendance and only the nerds get up in arms about it. Plus, there's a certain something to having a boss who likes to have fun and fuck around.

AEW seems mostly like a company of goofballs and misfit toys, like MJF said. Go ahead and let your freak flag fly as long as you're not being racist or insensitive. It's no wonder Punk lost his mind being there. Dude probably wanted way more structure and less fucking around and found himself surrounded by the caddies and irreverent golfers at Bushwood.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I couldn't care less what TK says on Twitter. He's just doing it to rile people up and he doesn't give a fuck. This isn't a publicly traded company and WBD doesn't give a shit. None of it hurts their viewership or attendance and only the nerds get up in arms about it. Plus, there's a certain something to having a boss who likes to have fun and fuck around.

AEW seems mostly like a company of goofballs and misfit toys, like MJF said. Go ahead and let your freak flag fly as long as you're not being racist or insensitive. It's no wonder Punk lost his mind being there. Dude probably wanted way more structure and less fucking around and found himself surrounded by the caddies and irreverent golfers at Bushwood.

Picturing Punk being Ted Knight backstage at AEW is making me laugh.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Log said:

Picturing Punk being Ted Knight backstage at AEW is making me laugh.

Look in my eyes, what do you see

I think you can still become a gentleman some day if you understand and abide by the rules of decent society

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To me it seems like Tony gives way too much of a fuck and is getting defensive and shitty online. You can excuse his behavior if you want to but A) he's not your boss so you don't know how this attitude reflects elsewhere in the company and B) you don't know it doesn't hurt viewership or attendance considering the recent numbers. Everybody doing whatever they want without consideration for the show as a whole is part of the problem in AEW and it starts at the top

I'm also willing to admit that this company might just not be for me. I like structure and less fucking around, if AEW is truly incapable of providing that then I can move on (again)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

There are NO good billionaires, especially generational ones. 

Just because he used to post here, he's not common folk.

Or he's not common folk, BECAUSE he used to post here...

Do agree with the no good billionaires part, obviously!

Edited by Shartnado
clarification
  • Like 2

All parties involved should concern themselves with just trying to put on the most compelling shows possible and not act like it's 1999 again. Taking potshots at other companies on social media or on the air makes you look like a tool, no matter what your position in the company or socioeconomic status is.

• Like 8