DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wolf of Wall Street seems to be too out there for WWF especially with Vince's story spanning several decades.

It's going to be Patton meets The Hudsucker Proxy with a slight touch of Being There.

Now I have visions of Vince watching WCW and saying, "Turner, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I can't imagine Daddy Ass not being the worst wrestler on TV right now who gets a fair amount of TV time. Cage has been fine as Swerves muscle, teaming with Big Bill and having Hoss matches with Sharff and Willie Mack (not that I'm pulling for him to get a big singles run or anything)

Brian Cage is really good in his role as a big guy who's going to do a lot of shit, but still unselfishly bumps and sells like a motherfucker for guys smaller than him (which is everybody).  Gunn actively brings down The Acclaimed for me.  Or maybe The Acclaimed is just fair to middling anyway, but Gunn takes them from "passable team" to "just a gimmick" territory.  Instead of being begrudgingly fine in two on two matches, they're a gimmick vehicle for Gunn.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

The wrestler who plays Michael Hayes in Iron Claw looks like Chippendales Michael Hayes in his pic:

Or maybe he’s alternate universe Seth Rollins. I don’t know.

Edit: just realized another nickname "Magic Mike Hayes"

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

I was going to say the obvious given the Rollins mention and just go with Al Perez. However, he does look like if late era Mid South tag team champs Wendell Cooley and Al Perez had a baby who went on to emulate Michael Hayes in his adult years.

...which is why I am in favor of women having control of their bodies. We cannot let that happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

The wrestler who plays Michael Hayes in Iron Claw looks like Chippendales Michael Hayes in his pic:

Or maybe he’s alternate universe Seth Rollins. I don’t know.

Edit: just realized another nickname "Magic Mike Hayes"

He reminds me of Rhett Titus when Titus was doing his "Addicted to Love" gimmick. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer on CM Punk:

WWE has decided against bringing back CM Punk. 

Punk's intention to return to the company was reported in the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, with sources from his camp stating the two sides were in talks. Dave Meltzer provided an update on the situation during a special Tuesday night edition of Wrestling Observer Radio. 

"They turned him down," Meltzer said. 

"The decision was a no. He wanted to go there and the decision was a no. I mean, it can always change and it was brought up to me that there is no such thing as no forever when it comes to WWE but it's no for now."

"It's Vince's decision. Vince, Nick Khan, Paul Levesque and, obviously, they decided that the negatives outweighed the positives."

"About 10 months ago, they were talking again at that point but he was still under contract to AEW and I was told that that would be a no," Meltzer said. "But it's easy to say it's a no because there's no chance they could get him because of the contract. But this time they could, and they decided to pass."

---

Something that WWE has turned CM Punk down as of right now, that he's not worth the hassle.

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Screenshot-20231011-161654.png

I'm sure he'll land somewhere

0cbba059c21c2ab4-600x338.jpg

Look in my eyes, what do you see? A smart move by WWE.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I want to see if they do Gary Hart in there. He mentioned that he had helped train the Von Erich kids, and pushed Fritz to treat them better.

The IMDB page has a "Gary Hart lookalike" listing, so there's that.

12 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Rather than the awful Anchorman sequel, I think they could have got something decent out of a semi autobiographical Freebirds film starring Ferrell, Reilly and Carrell.

Why shoehorn Ferrell into a Freebirds biopic when you could have him for Flair's?

plums-i-can-feel-it.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Log said:

We've seen what happens to Punk in real fights. He wouldn't last one overnight shift at Waffle House.

Thing is though the Waffle House (and McDonald's and Popeye's and every fast food place in a sketchy place) stuff is it's usually the customers and the frontline workers (usually teens). The managers just sit back, watch, and break it up after it's already escalated to the point where it's a fucking melee. That's a cush job if you love being involved in messy shit.

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Loved tattoos since a boy. Still need to get my first which will be a tribute to my late great Mum. I was thinking a portrait of her on my inside forearm.

That's a good spot since it's mostly meat/muscle it won't hurt too much unless they get up towards the ditch or too low on the wrist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My pro wrestling goals today:

- Listen to a podcast where Serpentico talks about agenting matches

- Write a lot about 89 Puerto Rico (Steve Strong)

- Watch the NEO Biishiki-gun Farewell Match

- Watch Takuya Nomura vs. Fuminori Abe

Guys, wrestling is amazing.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

That's a good spot since it's mostly meat/muscle it won't hurt too much unless they get up towards the ditch or too low on the wrist.

I didn't find the ditch particularly worse than any other spot, although the wrist was surprisingly sensitive. I got both of mine done on the same visit and after the first, I was a little annoyed with myself deciding to do the second 😅

• Like 2

Mine is on the inside of my forearm. It's about 3" x 3 or 4" and it didn't hurt at all. I was pretty afraid of getting a tattoo at first because so many people talked about how it's like a hot needle going into your arm a bunch of times. It was actually rather pleasant. Only one time did it come close to hurting and it was still a pleasant sort of pain. The only way I could describe it, and this isn't what it feels like, but it's like when you're a kid and you have a loose tooth and you keep pushing the tooth with your tongue. It doesn't feel good, but it's oddly satisfying? 

The biggest pain in the ass with a tattoo is the aftercare and having second skin/plastic wrap across it for days while it gets all gross and liquidy. Then you wash it off and continue putting Aquafor or whatever on it, along with sunscreen. I just didn't want any of that plasma or whatever it is dripping onto anything, but that's only for the first couple days.

I've had a couple friends fall asleep while getting their sleeve worked on or a back piece worked on. Others said their wrist hurt the worst while others said the inside of your bicep is really tender and then some said it didn't bother them at all. The only universal regret I ever heard was on the inside of a finger for two reasons - 1) it's pretty painful or nauseating and 2) it looks like shit and is all blown out within weeks so it's a waste of money. My nephew was the most recent to do that getting the Playstation X, Triangle, Square, and Circle tattooed on the inside of his finger and he regrets it now.

• Like 3

I know someone who has been those on his fingers, where most people get an eight letter word (that is a compound of two four letter words, like LIVE WIRE or FREE BIRD or KURT ANGL).

• Like 2