DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

29 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kclaL6ZzB2E

Five years ago, Shawn Michaels announces he's coming out of retirement. What we got was one of the worst matches of all time, DX vs. Brothers of Destruction at Crown Jewel 2018. With how bad it turned out, I'm surprised Shawn Michaels hasn't had another match to go out on as it can't be as bad as his last.

To me, I didn't really count that as his last match. Those early Saudi shows seemed like they didn't really count towards the story arch of WWE until they started having the main title switches on those shows. It seemed like Shawn went into that like it didn't really count to him either. It was nothing more than just a pay day. I'm sure sure if it was upto him, his last match would have been against AJ or Ricochet or some younger talent in a singles match. Given enough prep time. He could have a  better match than that tomorrow if he wanted to.

• Like 2

I'm actually pretty excited to attend my first live wrestling show since the Pandemic.  I've had the worse luck for getting seats for AEW shows and New Japan seems to hate having US shows less then 7 hours away from me.  But there's a new group called DaiKaiju Pro doing a show in Worchester next month and I've got front row seats to it.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

We're in the last quarter of 2023. Anybody up for awards? Feel free to use my categories or add your own.

• Wrestler of the Year: Bryan Danielson.
  • WWE Wrestler of the Year: Gunther.
  • Best Title Reign. Gunther as WWE Intercontinental Champion.
  • Match of the Year: Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr, AEW WrestleDream.
  • Card of the Year: AEW All Out.
  • Promotion of the Year: AEW.
  • Tag Team of the Year: FTR.
  • Face of the Year: Cody Rhodes. I think most here would go with Orange Cassidy.
  • Heel of the Year: Christian Cage.
  • Best on Promos: Christian Cage.
  • Biggest shock result of the year: Roman Reigns retaining the Undisputed WWE Championship vs. Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania XXXIX.
  • Best Commentator: Nigel McGuinness.

Drawing a blank on worst wrestler, worst match of the year and worst show.

Okay using the same awards here’s who I’d choose:

Wrestler of the Year: Jey Uso

WWE Wrestle of the Year: Jey Uso

Best Title Reign: Gunther as Intercontinental Champion

Match Of The Year: Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay Forbidden Door

Card Of The Year: Wrestlemania if both nights combine otherwise AEW Forbidden Door

Promotion Of The Year: WWE

Tag Team Of The Year: USO’s 

Face Of The Year: Cody Rhodes 

Heel Of The Year: Christian Cage

Best On Promos: Swerve Strickland

Biggest Shock Result Of The Year: Damian Priest winning MITB (I really thought they’d have Logan Paul win)

Best Commentator: Vic Joseph (I like Nigel too, but Vic makes NXT great)

Worst Wrestler: Ricky Starks, I’m kidding. The worst to me would be Brian Cage of guys that get a fair amount of tv time in a major promotion 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GojiColin said:

I'm actually pretty excited to attend my first live wrestling show since the Pandemic.  I've had the worse luck for getting seats for AEW shows and New Japan seems to hate having US shows less then 7 hours away from me.  But there's a new group called DaiKaiju Pro doing a show in Worchester next month and I've got front row seats to it.

Worcester, Massachusetts? There's a show there every week! At New Year's, they run the Wrestival and do 9 shows in 3 days!

Steve Blackman looking like Best Choice* Hercules Hernandez in that pic

(* - that brand is local to here, you can insert your equivalent to a Great Value/Best Choice grocery store brand here)

Wikipedia insists the company is widespread:

Spoiler

Associated Wholesale Grocers, Inc. (AWG) is the United States's largest cooperative food wholesaler to independently owned supermarkets and grocery stores. It serves more than 4,000 locations in 36 states and from 8 full-line wholesale divisions.

(...)

It was founded in 1924 as Associated Grocers of Kansas City and was based in Kansas City, Missouri before moving to Kansas City, Kansas. Associated Wholesale Grocers distributes four private-label brands of grocery products, Best Choice, Clearly Organic, Always Save, and Superior Selections along with IGA.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Okay using the same awards here’s who I’d choose:

Wrestler of the Year: Jey Uso

WWE Wrestle of the Year: Jey Uso

Best Title Reign: Gunther as Intercontinental Champion

Match Of The Year: Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay Forbidden Door

Card Of The Year: Wrestlemania if both nights combine otherwise AEW Forbidden Door

Promotion Of The Year: WWE

Tag Team Of The Year: USO’s 

Face Of The Year: Cody Rhodes 

Heel Of The Year: Christian Cage

Best On Promos: Swerve Strickland

Biggest Shock Result Of The Year: Damian Priest winning MITB (I really thought they’d have Logan Paul win)

Best Commentator: Vic Joseph (I like Nigel too, but Vic makes NXT great)

Worst Wrestler: Ricky Starks, I’m kidding. The worst to me would be Brian Cage of guys that get a fair amount of tv time in a major promotion 

Thank you. Interesting where we agree and disagree. I considered WWE for Promotion of the Year too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

A typo just made me figure out a ring name for a wrestler with a basketball background.

Terry Dunk

Surprised this never happened in Chikara.

Edit: Oh, goddammit, now I'm sad this never happened. Quack runs a couple shows with a CP Munk-type mascot character, Terry Dunk. It's like some animal in basketball shorts, but he has Funk's striped tights under the shorts and wears a bandana like Terry or something, and a "Dunk-U" t-shirt. After a couple months, the real Funk jumps the mascot and brutally beats the shit out of it. Then, we get a promo where he's pissed that Quackenbush is making fun of him. "Am I a joke to you, Mike Quack-en-bush?!?!?" Just imagining Terry saying "Quackenbush" all drawn out and dripping with disdain has me laughing. Funk totally could've pulled that off.

Edited by Log
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

that would be the peak of the feud, followed by a feud between Chikara trainees and Dory Funk Jr trainees that are boring styles clashes

Which falls apart after 2 shows when Quack starts to explain the number of comic book story-arc twists that he wants to introduce into the feud to Marti Funk who at that point decides to jack up the booking fees for Dory's talent. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Which falls apart after 2 shows when Quack starts to explain the number of comic book story-arc twists that he wants to introduce into the feud to Marti Funk who at that point decides to jack up the booking fees for Dory's talent. 

Which of the Chikara crew would be Marti Funk's new Adam Windsor? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kclaL6ZzB2E

Five years ago, Shawn Michaels announces he's coming out of retirement. What we got was one of the worst matches of all time, DX vs. Brothers of Destruction at Crown Jewel 2018. With how bad it turned out, I'm surprised Shawn Michaels hasn't had another match to go out on as it can't be as bad as his last.

Good god has that been 5 years already? Christ I am getting old....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Log said:

Surprised this never happened in Chikara.

Edit: Oh, goddammit, now I'm sad this never happened. Quack runs a couple shows with a CP Munk-type mascot character, Terry Dunk. It's like some animal in basketball shorts, but he has Funk's striped tights under the shorts and wears a bandana like Terry or something, and a "Dunk-U" t-shirt. After a couple months, the real Funk jumps the mascot and brutally beats the shit out of it. Then, we get a promo where he's pissed that Quackenbush is making fun of him. "Am I a joke to you, Mike Quack-en-bush?!?!?" Just imagining Terry saying "Quackenbush" all drawn out and dripping with disdain has me laughing. Funk totally could've pulled that off.

just needs someone coming out of a box

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I keep finding the bizarre wrestling photos. Somebody's gonna have to explain this one to me. Good old Attitude Era?

Reveal hidden contents

May be an image of 2 people and text

Eric Bischoff's HLA (Hot Lesbian Action). Then he brought out 3 Minute Warning to destroy them.