DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

AEW has given us a lot of great nods to wrestling's past, but one thing I still need is a redux on the Gary Spivey/Paul Orndorff segment from WCW. I'd love to see him use his powers to convince Hangman he still has cowboy shit in his heart

Cowboy shit in your heart sounds like the potential for really bad things, health-wise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I wouldn't touch Reddit with YOUR dick.

Or however that goes.

Then don't post like you make your home there, bruh. That's all I ask. Or at least please don't tag me when you do. 

29 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Then don't post like you make your home there, bruh. That's all I ask. Or at least please don't tag me when you do. 

Just take the L on this one, brah. You've earned it.

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952thp1bfe67923oh27ht

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Just take the L on this one, brah. You've earned it.

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952thp1bfe67923oh27ht

What are you talking about? You're posting about a wrestler upsetting you by praising her new company, still, across two threads. I don't even know why you are tagging me, honestly, except that you are hurt about Jade not praising AEW enough for your taste.

Your whole life is an L as far as I can tell, bruh. Stop being a weird off-putting wrestling fan because there are enough of those out there. Or keep being weird, but away from me and without tagging me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Sooooo

Anyone have any wrestling themed Halloween costumes planned??

I'm not attending any parties I'm invited to, then telling people I went as The Invisible Stan.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

7 on mine got the Cash treatment.

SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO QUOTE YOU THEN.

Anyway, I remember you told me to rewatch Austin/Bret from Mania a few months back. I did, and then my daughter destroyed two laptops of mine in five minutes, so I completely forgot about it. Just got it back this week, and saw my notes.

I liked it a lot more than I remembered. I was well inclined to rewatch just to shit on it in greater detail, because the 2-3 times I watched it as a teenager just remembering being completely bored by the punch/kick.

I mean, I'll maintain that Survivor Series 96 was the far better match, and we sleep on the great story being told, and the little stories within that story. But I'll acquiesce to the concept that this was the more hateful conclusion that was needed and duly delivered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO QUOTE YOU THEN.

Anyway, I remember you told me to rewatch Austin/Bret from Mania a few months back. I did, and then my daughter destroyed two laptops of mine in five minutes, so I completely forgot about it. Just got it back this week, and saw my notes.

I liked it a lot more than I remembered. I was well inclined to rewatch just to shit on it in greater detail, because the 2-3 times I watched it as a teenager just remembering being completely bored by the punch/kick.

I mean, I'll maintain that Survivor Series 96 was the far better match, and we sleep on the great story being told, and the little stories within that story. But I'll acquiesce to the concept that this was the more hateful conclusion that was needed and duly delivered. 

Glad you rewatched Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 back and you liked it a lot more this time round. The Survivor Series 1996 match does get slept on. It's a great match in it's own right. I particularly liked the Stone Cold Stunner getting protected as Austin pulling Bret away from the ropes gave him time to kick out and the Hart/Piper WrestleMania VIII callback. I've always preferred the WrestleMania 13 match for the brawl looking like a proper fight, Hart of all people using a steel chair, the iconic finish and the double turn. Sorry to read about the broken laptop.

• Like 3

I like that the Hart/Piper callback finish made sense on two levels, both the Mania 8 callback, but also that Austin was "taught" the Million Dollar Dream by Dibiase. It's entirely feasible that this sequence of events occurs, compared to other matches Bret has had with wacky finishes that have come out of nowhere (Bigelow KOTR 93/Bulldog IYH)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I like that the Hart/Piper callback finish made sense on two levels, both the Mania 8 callback, but also that Austin was "taught" the Million Dollar Dream by Dibiase. It's entirely feasible that this sequence of events occurs, compared to other matches Bret has had with wacky finishes that have come out of nowhere (Bigelow KOTR 93/Bulldog IYH)

Was the Bret/Bigelow finish wacky? I'll confess I mostly remember it for setting up the finish to Bret/Owen at Wrestlemania X; I don't recall what led to the victory roll in the earlier match.

14 hours ago, Infinit said:

Sooooo

Anyone have any wrestling themed Halloween costumes planned??

A bunch of people at my work are planning a group costume as a bunch of 80s/90s wrestlers. I know we've got a Hogan and a Stone Cold, can't remember who else.

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Was that the last time Austin used the MDD until the last Rock match at WMXIX?? I'm struggling to remember any other time, and my memory for that time period is fairly above average I'd say

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
It could've been X7... memory not as good as I thought lol

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Was that the last time Austin used the MDD until the last Rock match at WMXIX?? I'm struggling to remember any other time, and my memory for that time period is fairly above average I'd say

He used it on Angle in the Summerslam match so they could do a Bret callback where Angle reversed it for a false finish. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

He used it on Angle in the Summerslam match so they could do a Bret callback where Angle reversed it for a false finish. 

Thank you!! I haven't seen that one since it aired, I should revisit. I've also been meaning to re-watch Austin/Jericho from No Way Out '02 the last few years and keep putting it off, so maybe I'll bang em both out in one night.

7 hours ago, Log said:

A bunch of people at my work are planning a group costume as a bunch of 80s/90s wrestlers. I know we've got a Hogan and a Stone Cold, can't remember who else.

Every year some friends throw a Halloween/Birthday party for the husband. Eveery year she wants to do a couples costume. Eveery year she waits till 2 days before the party to then decide to just wear her Jubiliee outfit.

Which means for years now I am 

https://i.imgur.com/cEffdto.jpg

Ultimo Gallos #heelmark lucha libre Central American Heavyweight champion. 

Won the belt on Feb 29th 2020 in an apartment match. Title linage is

Starts as HOODMARK Lucha Libre World title. Won May 4th 2019 by Matt Cross.

HOODMARK folds. All their stuff gets sold off to wholesalers.

Jan 2020 Alex Graves,retired MS indie wrestler now,at his shoot job at the Journey's Outlet store finds the title in a box of Chuck taylors. He says he is the champ now.

I win on Feb 29th as mentioned 2020. Title gets renamed #HEELMARK Lucha Libre Central American Title when in late 2021 Hoodmark came back.

Edited by bobholly138
  • Like 2