DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

AEW monopoly. A silly game where you’re Brit Baker fighting Cavities. Make a deal with All Japan or NOAH or New Japan and have Eddie Kingston and whoever go over famous Japanese matches for a new audience. Paper Luchasaurus and Evil Uno masks at Burger King or wherever. AEW themes nerd dice. Get a pop or juice deal and put the wrestlers on the packaging. Comic books of lore and new impossible stories!!!! Turn the Painmaker back into Chris Jericho with Tylenol. More stupid and fun stuff that people would want to buy and can create new fans by bumping into it and looking up the product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

People are already on their last nerve, introducing a game of Monopoly is way too dangerous. 

The good news is, if they start the game now they probably won't end until at least St Paddy's Day Slam - by that estimate, everyone would stay relatively docile until somewhere around Full Gear.

What is funny about the conflicting stories getting out there is there were plenty of witnesses. Its not like it leaking that Punk messaged Page after his pegging comment to apologize, which very few people could know about. This happened in gorilla! But still wrestlers are carny and just telling Sapp and Meltzer and Keller whatever so they run with it.

• Like 1

Speaking of conflicting stories:

I enjoyed the first season of Heels. But Heels is about a bunch of hillbillies trying to keep a rinky dink indie outfit afloat. What we need is a drama series about all this backstage drama happening at a major WWE/AEW-type promotion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I can't follow all of this...  There's so many conflicting reports.   Wrestling media is terrible Lol. 

The dirt sheets are essentially Fox News, but instead of being fed lines and stories by creeps from the Federalist Society it’s just, like, Brandon Cutler and Ace Steel. 

New rules for the dirt sheets if I was in charge.

1. You still get to report 2nd and 3rd hand rumors because that can be fun, but you are not allowed to do it in a somber and/or serious tone. 

2. If you break rule #1 you must be placed in an old timey stockade every time you get something completely wrong. 5 hour minimum. Hours added depending on how dumb it is. Brody King punched a wall and broke his hand oh actually he just kicked a trash can? 4 hours. Believing 5 people telling a story when none of them saw it first hand = 5 sources? 8 hours. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

People whining about conflicting reporting in wrestling media is the lowest form of discourse. Is this the only area where you’re exposed to conflicting reports or untruths? Are there people just not reading news regarding other subjects? Take in what you can and be discerning with all news. This isn’t baby’s first news cycle for anyone here, come on.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Has there been any talk on how that glass spot got on the show to begin with? I mean considering that backstory, there is no way that the limousine was there for any reason but for the glass spot. And if that's the case, you are looking at more people involved than just two wrestlers and an agent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

So Zakk didn't do the homework, J.T. did the wrong homework, and just drew wants to sacrifice himself to Miro for our enjoyment.

It's been a hell of a long day, but I will say this...

I am kind of sort of ready for them to announce another couple of Dynamite matches and I really wasn't earlier today. Bring on Eddie vs Yuta or something.

On the positive side just think how all this free's up the top of the card for a Jacked Jamenson v JD Drake feud

8 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Bryan Danielson copping strays here I see

the other one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Speaking of conflicting stories:

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1696691077829300597

I enjoyed the first season of Heels. But Heels is about a bunch of hillbillies trying to keep a rinky dink indie outfit afloat. What we need is a drama series about all this backstage drama happening at a major WWE/AEW-type promotion.

If only there was a series that showed all the backstage stuff involving AEW that appeared on the same network as Dynamite and/or Rampage

Oh wait we actually did and the best we got from the Elite vs Punk/Ace Steel backstage fight was that it was the worst day of their life and that they knew that Chicago fans would hate them.  Why?  Who the fuck knows if you watch the show.  The same show that tried to convince us for about 3 weeks that Ruby Soho and Tay Melo were shooting on each other.   The only way an AEW backstage show would talk about this is unless Punk starts getting into fights with Britt Baker

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So....Punk at the All Out 22 presser, "you got a problem with that come find me".  The Bucks have a problem with that, come find him....Punk swings first

Reporting around the Perry thing is dodgy but it sounds like Punk initiated the confrontation and the physicality

Starting to see a pattern here.  It sounds like Punk thinks he's really fucking tough after that MMA career of his. 

In the old days someone would have taken him down a peg or two by now.  I find it hard to believe Phil is the toughest man in AEW, someone needs to pull his punk card

Also, WAR TEAM PERRY!  I don't see enough people standing up for him.  Good on him telling Punk to fuck off.  Talking some inside shit to the camera is nothing Punk hasn't done a thousand times, and co-sign everyone who remembers when Punk was scratching and clawing to get over like Jack is.  Mr. Professional (HA) can dish it can't take it, wants to fight everyone.  Legendarily thin skin. 

And this wasn't Goldberg unplanned punching out a fucking door window in the 90s, a slam spot on a modern car's windshield is relatively safe.  Really not a big deal IMO, but it speaks more to the leadership structure and the way Punk has been empowered but that's a whole other conversation and I'm here to shit on Punk

I turned on Phil watching the All Out scrum live in real time before the fight even went down.  Used to be a big fan.  Nothing since his return has disabused me of the notion that he's a miserable prick.  So sick of this shit.  It's not even fun saying Itoadaso

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Too much spin and projection going on to get a clear picture so far but imo two adults should be able to settle any differences without resorting to violence AND if two adults fail to do that and get into a scuffle it isn't the end of the world

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Too much spin and projection going on to get a clear picture so far but imo two adults should be able to settle any differences without resorting to violence AND if two adults fail to do that and get into a scuffle it isn't the end of the world

I'm with you nine times out of ten, but this is two incidents in less than a year - I think at this point the situation requires some heavy examination. Hangman may have 'jeopardized a million dollar house' last year, but stuff like this is eventually going to jeopardize the whole operation.

• Like 1

No one is standing up for Jack Perry because he's been acting like a cunt for over a year now. There's the shit with glass and being mad he was told no, talking shit about it during a match, big timing fans at paid signings, etc.

On the other hand, we're right back to Raylan Givens: "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

I love that Punk has a love for pro wrestling and wants to be a part of it in some way, shape, or form. That's better to me than what his feelings were after leaving WWE where it kind of killed his love for wrestling. But this is just getting to be a little much. I could see a scenario where it's great that AEW is around, but that locker room and how it's run just doesn't mesh at all with Punk and a lot about it may get on Punk's nerves. Booker T of all people touched on this a little bit when he talked about how Punk just doesn't have the respect or doesn't have the buy in from the locked room that he might have expected. I could see that locker room being one where they're never going to give him that respect or look at him in that way because there aren't many people they'd look at in that way. Like MJF said, AEW is like the island of misfit toys.

It's just as conceivable that Punk and pro wrestling in this era just don't mix. He's older, there's probably a different expectation for how people should behave so even having a locker room like ROH's when he was there is out of the picture, WWE's might be too structured and sterile, AEW's is probably just too free, and Punk is just at a weird age and time in his life where nothing is going to be a great fit. I believe all of the talk that a lot of people respect Punk and go up to him. I also believe there are a lot of people he rubs the wrong way. That's never going to work.

At the end of the day though, he is a contracted employee for AEW. He can either choose to sit out his contract or Tony should choose to use him instead of shooting the company in the foot and not. And if Punk decides to sandbag his on screen performances? Then Tony just doesn't use him and sends him home. Suspending anyone in this instance just sounds like being unsure of what your next steps are going to be. Like it sounds he wants to send him home, but he doesn't want it to sound like he's just sending him home and needs it to sound like he's standing up for the company.

• Like 1

Perry probably felt very secure with his future in AEW when the EVPs were the most influential members of the locker room, he felt threatened by Punk, and he he’s been testing limits. I’m sure he isn’t the only one, and, even though on some level I think Punk is a paranoid maniac, Punk probably got enough of a vibe from certain wrestlers to be sent into the initial tailspin. If the Elite were mostly innocent parties, then I think you can blame people with Perry’s attitude and behavior for being the ones who triggered Punk during the Page program. But, once again, Punk could’ve arrived there all by himself because he’s a daffy dude. 

I was hoping the armchair psychoanalysis would leave with Dolphman. Is it too much to keep it to discussion of news/shows, and leave that stuff out of it? None of us know what's going on in anyone's mind, just stop, please.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Log said:

I was hoping the armchair psychoanalysis would leave with Dolphman. Is it too much to keep it to discussion of news/shows, and leave that stuff out of it? None of us know what's going on in anyone's mind, just stop, please.

Where’s the fun in that? 

• Haha 2