DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Was it @Log or @Dog who's kid didn't want Penta to have to face Miro because Miro is the toughest wrestler? That kid had way better wrestling takes than Meltzer 

That was mine. He loves the Lucha Bros. I'm always throwing out what I think would be cool matches, but he doesn't like them facing anyone too tough. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Log said:

That was mine. He loves the Lucha Bros. I'm always throwing out what I think would be cool matches, but he doesn't like them facing anyone too tough. 

This sounds like the perfect litmus test to determine the credibility of MJF & Adam Cole.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Add to the list of recycled names, along with (among others) Dutch Mantell and Rip Rogers. 

then there's Nicolai Volkoff (Steve Gobrukovich) and Nikolai Volkoff (Josip Peruzovic) when one's career was ending around the time that the other's career was starting

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

I don't do stars or watch NXT but I thought it was fine, it gets better after the early stretch..

It was not Bron/Ilja good, but I dug it. Pity the last two moves before the Walls didn't go off too well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

What is the ~best~ Giant Baba match? I’ll also accept top ten lists. 

Gimme a few minutes here. I'll post some videos so EVERYONE can enjoy the GREATNESS.

60s

Fritz

Kiniski

70s

Destroyer

Brisco

Robinson

Tag 

Race

80s

Brody

Hansen

Surprising and fun tag

90s

Surprising and fun tag (edit: this match is actually pretty bad. I guess I was thinking of a different late-career Andre/Baba tag match).

There's so much more! Lots and lots of Hansen and Kiniski and Race and Butcher matches! Those guys all match up really well with Baba, in my opinion. Hopefully Matt also has some recommendations!(Maybe a Bock match?) Couldn't find the Murdoch match I wanted. Maybe the best Hansen v Baba match was from '82, but I couldn't find the video for that one. SO MANY surprising and fun tag matches in his later career after he phased himself out of the main event.

The Destroyer and Robinson ones are personal favourite matches, for sure. I personally LOVE all of these, but I love Baba in general. Let me know what you think! Hope lots of people can find joy here.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, zendragon said:

Was it @Log or @Dog who's kid didn't want Penta to have to face Miro because Miro is the toughest wrestler? That kid had way better wrestling takes than Meltzer 

15 hours ago, Log said:

Course correct Penta please 😉.

• Haha 1

Giant Baba vs. Gene Kiniski - JWA 8/14/1967 - YouTube

This match is just beautiful. It's like a TCM Classic. It's a bit muddy but when it brightens up it looks like a classic film. Kiniski is a heel but a technician, utilizing a figure four on the head constantly in the first fall. All the highspots are things we take for granted these days and are rarely utilized -- atomic drop, backbreaker, diving knee from the top, etc. And like the '66 Fritz match, it's also stiff and snug as hell. Upcoming wrestlers need to be forced to watch this stuff, Clockwork Orange style if need be, just like boxers need to watch Ali matches. And anyone who says Baba isn't any good, yeah, watch this. 

Thanks to Gordi for posting all this stuff. And if it's the right match, you HAVE to check that Harley/Baba match! It's what turned the corner for me on Baba completely. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword!

That stupid Bullet Club logo took me 10 minutes alone or so, I basically had to guess & check every single letter in between the beginning and the end.

Edited by Robert S
  • Like 1

Beautifully said, @Gordlow. I love Baba and especially that Kininski match! Excited to check more out. I was wondering if people had a favorite they point to for him. I loved him when I was doing an ongoing personal match of the year protect. He was in about 4 of them, lol. I’m excited to dig through these! Thanks bud.

I’m trying to bone up for a GWE project. Babaing after I get a few more Jaguar Yokota matches in. 

EDIT:

CORRECTION. I’ve seen the 70 Kiniski match. Oh boy, I’m in for a treat with this one!!!!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1