DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Well, it's time for Money in the Bank.  It happens TODAY at 3pm Eastern, Noon for you west coasters.   

Anyway... let's re-visit the greatest cash in of all time:

Spoiler

• Haha 5

1934160_10130808861_6539_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1

It's July 2023 so this month marks 20 years since I met Mick Foley, one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. Mick was so nice. Years later I was able to thank Mick for this on Facebook and he in turn thanked me.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1. Reposted from the Discord:

You know what post pandemic WWE reminds me of?
  2. The Twilight Saga.
  3. You have this obsessive fan base, hugely personally invested in this story, these characters. They put a lot of themselves into this story, made liking this story a key part of their identity. And so when the story reaches a dramatic climax, and the two characters they care so much about lock eyes, and stare deeply into one another’s souls, it means everything to these fans. That stare carries so much dramatic weight, so much repressed emotion, so much hidden passion, that stare is a powerful, resonant moment. But if you aren’t invested in it, if you haven’t lived for this story for years, you just want to say “Is anything going to actually happen at any point? These motherfuckers have been staring at each other for ages. Do something!
  • Like 1

That's called captivating an audience

My father absolutely hated wrestling, but I remember catching him watching Smackdown in 2005 for the Eddie-Rey promos

I also remember having Savage-Warrior on TV when I was a kid and the non-fan ladies in the room started crying when Elizabeth ran in to save Randy

If you're not watching wrestling for emotion, then I don't know what to tell ya - maybe MOVEZ~ and deathmatch wrestling hit people emotionally in a different way, but I'd have to imagine that's more like an addict getting an adrenaline fix as opposed to some deep emotional connection

• Like 1

Respectfully, if there were an obsessive non-fanbase who made hating this stuff a key part of their identity, it’d probably sound a lot like that Twilight comparison. 

Re: “the other promotion,” much of the discourse surrounding them is about how they shouldn’t care about the mythical “casual fan” or winning new eyeballs, and celebrates rewarding the people who are “invested.” I do enjoy that we’re talking down about people enjoying this thing they’re invested in here, whereas we talk shit about anyone not being invested in something like New Japan cameos in AEW. I guess investing in the wrong thing makes you the equivalent of some dullard who likes the sparkly vampire movies? I don’t get it. But if you brought this out of the discord because it wasn’t getting any engagement there (zero), there ya go. Might be the best place for this is a WWE navel gazing thread.

And I guess to get ahead of this, I’ll go on the record again as a confirmed hater of the Bloodline Roman stuff and I definitely believe Roman’s work has gotten less enjoyable as a result of the pandemic. But I’m happy for the people who are loving it. 

• Like 4