DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

If one of the wrestler's significant others' can't get a hot dog out of a crock pot to give someone with a Wal-Mart soda, what good are they!

I could really go for a crock pot hot dog right now

46 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

In terms of hot dogs that have been kept warm for questionably long periods of time, it's hard to say if that or the hot dog roller is in the top spot.

dixie carter over here with the big money hot dog roller

back in my day the only concessions you got paid with was a choice between a can of keystone light w/ boiled peanuts innit or a "kayfabe cheesesteak" (big mac middle bun w/ a completely legitimate autograph of all five von erich boys in ketchup)

• Haha 6

Also, in Battle Royals anybody could win. They would sell the living f*** out of that to sometimes. Did an upset Battle Royal win ever happen? Does DDP count? Even though they reversed it? It’s probably happened in some Royal Rumble since 2010 or so but I never watched as much WWF.

Edited by BloodyChamp

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Battle Royales were also a good way to wring an extra match from the 8 wrestlers you booked for an Indy card.

I went to a free Big Japan show in a park in February that was sponsored by the shopping street between the park and the train station. They had a tag, six man tag, intermission, and then a battle royal. BJW has a price list for buying a show that increases with the amount of wrestlers and matches. https://bjw.co.jp/event-price/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Also, in Battle Royals anybody could win. They would sell the living f*** out of that to sometimes. Did an upset Battle Royal win ever happen? Does DDP count? Even though they reversed it? It’s probably happened in some Royal Rumble since 2010 or so but I never watched as much WWF.

I dunno about it being a huge upset, but I remember Hercules winning a battle royal on SNME once.

29 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I dunno about it being a huge upset, but I remember Hercules winning a battle royal on SNME once.

Wasn't that the one that started this convo? Came down to Herc and Billy Jack Haynes? Definitely an upset considering who was in the battle royal to start

• Like 1

Scott Hall winning the 97 WW3 was a little surprising. Not sure who else of note was in there, but it always seemed like an odd choice for a world title shot at that time, even as a filler defense. Hall was in a spot where no one above him would look any better for beating him and he himself wasn't elevated by being in a title match. Off the top of my head, DDP or Raven would've been more compelling winners.

It's tough to get surprise winners in high profile battle royals because there's usually something at stake beyond the match itself, but I liked AEW giving Top Flight and AR Fox the win in their random Christmas $300k battle royal. Didn't have to overpush them, but it gave them a nice highlight to set up a few good TV matches over the next couple of months.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, elizium said:

Wasn't that the one that started this convo? Came down to Herc and Billy Jack Haynes? Definitely an upset considering who was in the battle royal to start

Yeah, IIRC, it's one and the same. It went through multiple commercial breaks. I believe it was in the middle of the episode. With the way SNME was formatted, they typically frontloaded the show and in the case of this one the first half is built around Andre and Hogan. They also spent a long ass time doing intros for most of the notable folks entering the ring. They build up Andre as a monster and that culminates with Andre eliminating Hogan. Eventually, everyone groups together to eliminate Andre. Then after that, it just devolves into a random battle royal that ultimately ends up as buildup for the battle of the Full Nelson. However, mission accomplished. I safely assume they expected a good amount of folks to tune out after the Hogan and Andre stuff.

• Like 2

One upside to R/SC is rb_reigns posts

His latest post from tonight: “The Usos are going to get the beating of their life sometime soon by Roman Reigns. This will be the last time they are relevant because if not for Roman Reigns, no one would've been talking about the Usos or cared about them the past several years”

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Brookly Brawler won a battle royal at an MSG house show in 97 to earn a title shot at HBK fan cam exists

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Log said:

My son is very obsessed with Andre right now, so we've been watching some 80's WWF. He wanted to see a battle royal with Andre, so I played him the one from before WMIII on SNME where Andre eliminates Hogan. The craziest thing about it to me was that every single elimination bump looked super dangerous! Dudes were flying out of the ring at weird angles and hitting the apron and stuff. And not just one or two of them! Damn near every elimination made me wince.

I watched this!  Random-ass thoughts:

• I taped this off TV as a youngster and watched it so many times, as with every SNME episode from back then, that I remember a lot of the lines verbatim
  • Billy Jack Haynes looks like a doofus in just his gear and that big fucking hat.  Get a jacket and accessorize, my dude.
  • It takes me a while to remember heel and face alignment w/r/t Herc & Orndorff, who turned a LOT in their careers.  Speaking of which, Herc isn't nearly as huge as he'd get.  I noted a while back, at some point he figured if big is good, huge is better, and ate all the trenbaloney sammiches.
  • Funny seeing Butch Reed with bleached hair BUT in his Mid-South gear.  Like he's between gimmicks.
  • Speaking of proto gimmicks, Demolition is one month past their TV debut (and two months after the initial dark debut with Moondog Rex).  They haven't settled on their standard facepaint yet and Darsow is still growing his hair in.  Smash looks weird as fuck with close-cropped hair, no mustache, and metallic facepaint. 
  • This is such a well-booked battle royal.  The story is just "keep Andre and Hogan apart until we don't."  I really liked it.  Good camera work, too.  Shots are tight a lot of the time, avoiding wide shots of dudes doing nothing like you see in a lot of battle royals.  It made it look more violent and action-packed
  • Funny seeing all three post-gimmick Machines in one match.
  • Weird to see Sika in the match along with the Islanders.  Three guys with the same gmmick, one going out and two coming in.
  • The aforementioned Lanny bladejob is amazing.  I rewound three times and couldn't tell when he bladed.  They keep going back to him on the floor and he's just getting worse.  Great job putting over the headbutt. 
  • Vince also put over the headbutt and the whole story and was great at this shit back then.
  • The Andre/Hogan faceoff is brief but fun, doing exactly what it needs to do, whetting our whistles for the upcoming match.  Andre later back-jumps Hogan to show what a scumbag he's become, and tosses him.  Hulk hits his tailbone hard on the apron in a gnarly bump.
  • Then...everybody gangs up and eliminates Andre?  I could have sworn he won it.  Huh.  NOTE: As mentioned already in this thread!  That's what I get for posting first and reading later.
  • I ffwd the rest because I kind of didn't care about midcarders fighting for it.  As mentioned already, Herc wins to continue the feud with Billy Jack.  That's my one criticism of this.  If you're putting Andre over, put Andre over and give him the win.  WTF
  • Overall, great match and I definitely recommend it
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

I know I've seen it a few times but can't remember where, face Andre eliminating himself in a Battle Royal when the final three are him, one of his babyface friends and whoever the face is feuding with, always thought that was cool way to get someone else the win.

Also, on a Coliseum Video there's a Battle Royal with the final two being Tony Atlas and SD Jones, since they're friends they have a coin toss to determine the winner, Atlas wins the toss and gently eliminates Special Delivery.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

Now that I think about it....Andre makes an appearance in World Class, and they do a mini battle royale where one of the Freebirds or Bundy ends up winning. Like Andre is thrown out mid way.

Also, I do agree that early Demolition is weird cause you keep forgetting Darsow is the other one. So it essentially is Krusher Krushchev as the other Demo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So it essentially is Krusher Krushchev as the other Demo.

My thoughts exactly as I was watching!  It's hilarious that they went out of their way to put an elbowpad on his upper arm to cover his tattoo for his whole run.  Kayfabe was crazy.

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

One upside to R/SC is rb_reigns posts

His latest post from tonight: “The Usos are going to get the beating of their life sometime soon by Roman Reigns. This will be the last time they are relevant because if not for Roman Reigns, no one would've been talking about the Usos or cared about them the past several years”

No one sticks to the gimmick like that person.

You can tell where the Bees were in their WWF careers by their gear.

• Just in and getting a half decent JTTS push?  Short bee tights and boots
  • Starting their descent?  Short bee tights and Nikes
  • Almost out?  Bee bicycle shorts and Nikes

Somebody at Titan got a really specific hard-on for bicycle shorts at one particular time, as both the Bees and the Rougeaus switched from short tights to rocking the Milli Vanillis all of a suddden.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You can tell where the Bees were in their WWF careers by their gear.

• Just in and getting a half decent JTTS push?  Short bee tights and boots
  • Starting their descent?  Short bee tights and Nikes
  • Almost out?  Bee bicycle shorts and Nikes

Somebody at Titan got a really specific hard-on for bicycle shorts at one particular time, as both the Bees and the Rougeaus switched from short tights to rocking the Milli Vanillis all of a suddden.

Well, that's funny, because Jacques (or Raymond) sure had a really specific hard-on IN those bicycle shorts at Wrestlemania V, when Bushwhacker Luke gave him a rub while posting in preparation of being bodyslammed. So yeah, at least partially correct on this one.

• Haha 1