DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Glad that you liked it. And yeah, I think Forks, episode 7, was my favorite of the season. I didn't expect that episode to go in the direction it did and I'm so happy it went in the direction it did. 

The other thing I love is that Carm and Syd essentially brought everyone else up to another level and brought something out in so many of them, even Ebra to a degree after cooking school didn't work out for him, but they need the same type of support. I really, really hope there is a season 3 and we see everything come full circle for Carm and Syd.

• Like 1

Also, Claire Bear is one of the most adorable love interests ever. That really hit home for me. Two people who liked each other or who crushed on each other back when they were in high school and nothing ever happened with it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What's going on with The Idol? HBO ending a six episode series after five episodes is new. 

That shit's getting thrown into the write-off volcano in two months MAX. 

There was a ton of behind the scenes stuff that most likely caused the change from 6 to 5 episodes, 80% of the show was shot by Amy Seimetz but Levinson and The Weekend felt it had "too much of a female perspective", she got the boot and they took over.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What's going on with The Idol? HBO ending a six episode series after five episodes is new. 

That shit's getting thrown into the write-off volcano in two months MAX. 

Ugh!  I’ve hate watched this pile of shit.  Send it to the volcano.

On 6/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Taylor Sheridan cranking out whole episodes of his show by himself in eight to ten hours is the least surprising thing he could admit to.  Definitely comes through on screen. 

You can also tell that he clearly doesn't employ any female writers since every woman on the show seems to exist solely to be a love interest for one of the men. I watched 2 seasons of Yellowstone and tapped out 2 episodes into the 3rd mostly because I just could not take any more of Beth Dutton. I mean, every character on that show is a vile human but she's just unbearable. I really don't get why people point to her as an example of a "strong female character" when there are so many better options out there.

Ok so The Bear S2 is great so far but holy cats "Fishes" has more guest stars than  a Love Boat/Fantasy Island double header!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

I'm only 2 and a half eps in and goddamn this might be better than Season 1 without all the overblown shouting.

Of course, the big plot hole from S1 gets gossamer-glossed over with a SINGLE SHOT that actually makes it *worse*, waaaaaaaay worse instead of legitimately explaining anything, so fuck that.

But it's a hard show to watch for me because of Ayo Edebiri.  I keep waiting for her to do something, anything, to not remind me of my ex, aside from being Black instead of Indian, but she just. won't. fucking. stop.  The mannerisms, the facial expressions, the face shape, the speech patterns: it's...yeah.  It's a lot.  I would probably love her anyway even if it weren't for the uncanny similarities, though; she's wonderful.

That close to Ep 2 where Craig loved the use of "Strange Currencies"...hard hard hard agree.  Molly Gordon was king-sized.  She was basically doing the female version of the Looney Tunes wolf who's strung out horizontally over his chair with his eyes bulging out and going "AAAAHWHOOOGA!" and Carmy...just...is Carmy.  Having been on both sides of that exchange...man, that's the stuff right there.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

There are a lot of really critically acclaimed TV shows that I watch that I think are good but not as great as they supposedly are, which makes me hate that show. (Succession is the ultimate for me.)  I have a problem with this but it is who I am.

I thought that a bit about Season One of The Bear. I went in expecting to think the same about Season 2. 

Nope. This lives up to the billing .Great season of television. I am watching 7 Fishes as we speak and man this is so gripping. I love REM and I forgot how great a song “Strange Currencies” is. Just a fantastic, funny, sweet and tragic show. They do a good job making everything claustrophobic both in an out of the kitchen. 

The only show of this type that’s at a higher level is Reservation Dogs. I don’t mean that as a slight against The Bear, because this is excellent.

Edited by Greggulator

The Bear, Reservation Dogs and Succession are probably my three favorite shows of the last several years.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Succession, it is a relief to have shows like The Bear and Rez Dogs where I actually like the characters as people and can root for them. Succession was more of a "everyone is awful and I hope they all lose" situation for me. Stuff like the Forks episode of The Bear and the season 2 finale of Rez Dogs just make me so happy for the characters. Another show like that is Somebody, Somewhere. After Succession's high stakes with presidential elections and huge companies changing hands and all that, it's really nice to watch shows where the main crux of a season is wondering if a couple people can keep their friendship as strong as it once was.

But, yeah, I'd have Bear and Reservation Dogs as my 1 and 1b shows going right now (and probably from the last decade of so, really) and Succession number 2.

I am not sure if the Teaser was posted but here if the full trailer for Full Circle

The next Steven Soderbergh project

Claire Danes, Zazie Beetz, Jim Gaffigan, Jharrel Jerome, Timothy Olyphant, CCH Pounder, Phaldut Sharma, Adia, Sheyi Cole, Gerald Jones, Suzanne Savoy, Ethan Stoddard, Lucian Zanes and Dennis Quaid.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

I honestly think they could have skipped the Feast of Seven Fishes episode.  The finale was great, but Carmy backsliding emotionally was super disappointing.

Could not disagree more on Feast of Seven Fishes. One, it was just a great episode that I loved. Two, I think it really does a lot to show us why Carmy is the way he is.

But, really...

Spoiler

We got John Bernthal vs. Bob Odenkirk in a super-intense face-off. I'll never turn that down!

Plus, who the hell know John Mulaney could act?

Personally, the episode is a highlight not just for this season of the Bear, but for tv for the last couple years or so. And it's probably not even my favorite episode of this season of the show! That'd be either Forks or maybe the Denmark episode.

As far as the Carmy in the finale, I'm with you there. That was one of those times where you just want to reach in the tv and shake someone.

the season finale episodes of Beavis and Butthead have arrived

Spoiler

Smart Beavis and Smart Butt-Head are sent to Earth where they abduct Tom Anderson for human experiments.

Beavis and Butt-Head are invited to stay for dinner and a sleepover when Cody's mom mistakes them as his friends.

check it out just in case Paramount+ cancels the show and wipes out it's existence like they did to Rise Of The Pink Ladies (also check it out a few months before it airs on Comedy Central)

Edited by Cobra Commander

I didn't get to the finale yet, but I can see where it's headed. They set it up really well. 

I don't know how they'll address it yet, but my best friend was a chef at a bunch of really high-end restaurants, including at least one with a Michelin star. He worked for people who are judges on Top Chef and a few people he was colleagues with were colleagues of his at some point. (My friend wasn't the head chef at any of those places but was a sous chef at some really well regarded spots.)

My best friend is a great cook but really wanted to work in that world because of the wildness associated with kitchen. Even though his career took off, it really exacerbated his addiction issues. There are so many people like that in the kitchen industry -- struggling with addiction or other mental health issues. It's an industry that really attracts people who have trauma they combine with an obsession. 

My friend decided (thankfully) to get sober and he had to leave kitchens because of how easy it would be for him to fall off the wagon. It's really that bad. 

Carmy giving into his demons feels completely spot on to what I know about that world.  

For the past nine years one of my customers is a chef named Jackie Shan. She is 4'11" of dynamic energy. I've had her threaten to shoot me if her order was wrong, but I've also had her give me her delicious coffee cake and cash tips numerous times over the years. I'm able to call her by her first name and have seen her light into her staff without a second thought. I love delivering to her, but I wouldn't want to work for her. The place in question is Jackie's Cafe in New Buffalo, MI. 

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the season finale episodes of Beavis and Butthead have arrived

Reveal hidden contents

Smart Beavis and Smart Butt-Head are sent to Earth where they abduct Tom Anderson for human experiments.

Beavis and Butt-Head are invited to stay for dinner and a sleepover when Cody's mom mistakes them as his friends.

check it out just in case Paramount+ cancels the show and wipes out it's existence like they did to Rise Of The Pink Ladies (also check it out a few months before it airs on Comedy Central)

As in Pink Lady and Jeff?