DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Reservation Dogs Season 3 debuts tonight. I have a bad habit of saying “this is the best XXX” but Reservation  Dogs is as great a show that has ever been on television. As hilarious a teen coming of age tale as there ever has been (up there with Freaks and Geeks) but also introduced us to a world almost none of us really know, while also not afraid to dive into magic realism and general weirdness. And that the actors and the writing staff and a lot of people behjnd the scenes are all indigenous also makes it culturally important, too. First two seasons get the highest of recommendations from me.

1000% agree with all of this. 

Rez Dogs is the kind of thing that makes me so, so happy to get to watch. Knowing how things usually work in Hollywood, it’s like this show shouldn’t even get greenlit. But it did, and it’s so funny and sad and heartwarming and heartbreaking and I’m just so glad it exists. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Log said:

1000% agree with all of this. 

Rez Dogs is the kind of thing that makes me so, so happy to get to watch. Knowing how things usually work in Hollywood, it’s like this show shouldn’t even get greenlit. But it did, and it’s so funny and sad and heartwarming and heartbreaking and I’m just so glad it exists. 

I need to work on my official Greggulator best TV shows ever list because Rez Dogs is absolutely a contender for the top spot. Friday Night Lights and this UK comedy This Country and The Office are my de facto tops but man Rez Dogs and Gemstones are so so so great.

Especially like you said about Rez Dogs in that it is a miracle it is on our TV sets. I am not shocked it is this great because there is talent to be found everywhere, it’s just that people who look like me don’t look for it. 

First episode of the third season was of course perfect. 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, did anyone watch that Starz series Heels about a wrestling fed? I can watch it for free on demand and am wondering if it's worth my time. 

I watched the first episode, enjoyed it, thought the ending was surprising but convincing - but for whatever reason it left me with no particular interest in what happened next. So I guess for me it succeeded more as a short mini-movie than as a first episode of a TV series.

I want to give a strong recommendation for HIJACK on Apple. Great throwback to old FOX action shows like 24. Not high art and don’t think too hard about the plot, but it’s an expertly crafted thrill ride.

Can’t wait to see which form of transportation Sam Nelson gets hijacked on next.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, Jrag said:

Warrior season 3 has been fun so far. Hard to touch the riot episode from season 2, but I think this season has been a bit more consistent. A fan of the one episode each season that is more a standalone western, but the main story is good enough where sometimes those episodes can throw a wrench in things.

Haven’t gone back through this thread. Anyone else watching this? 

I’ll take that as a no. You guys would probably love it though. 

Twisted Metal had no right to be as enjoyable as it was. I actually want to see them go through with a second season now. I’m shocked that I liked it as much as I did.

Still not thrilled with Will Arnett’s voice paired with Samoa Joe’s body acting, though. It’s off-putting.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:50 PM, Greggulator said:

Reservation Dogs Season 3 debuts tonight. I have a bad habit of saying “this is the best XXX” but Reservation  Dogs is as great a show that has ever been on television. As hilarious a teen coming of age tale as there ever has been (up there with Freaks and Geeks) but also introduced us to a world almost none of us really know, while also not afraid to dive into magic realism and general weirdness. And that the actors and the writing staff and a lot of people behjnd the scenes are all indigenous also makes it culturally important, too. First two seasons get the highest of recommendations from me.

It gets so overlooked in the discussion of “Prestige TV” but Rez Dogs truly is one of the greatest TV shows of all time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I’m not ready to venture into the Star Trek thread because I only just finished season 1, but I love STRANGE NEW WORLDS. Best Trek thing for me since the 90’s.

Other than how Picard season 3 wrapped up, which I thought was nearly perfect, Strange New Worlds is indeed the best new Trek.

Unfortunately, I don't find season 2 to be nowhere near as good as season 1, but it's not the piece of shit that Discovery or seasons 1 and 2 of Picard are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Aw, don’t tell me that.

I actually think S2 has been better. Its has a good bit of comedy, but a lot of good character work as well. Also has probably the darkest Trek episode we've seen since something from DS9.

• Like 1