DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is Okada still in the states? What are the chances of him making an appearance and maybe planting the seeds for a future match tomorrow night?

Did he not come over here with Ishii? I'd imagine they'd both leave at the same time, surely.

4 hours ago, Ace said:

The line up for Dark today.

Powerhouse Hobbs (w/ Hook) vs. Jaysin Strife
Andrade El Idolo (w/ Jose) vs. Jah-C
Shawn Spears and Wardlow (w/ Tully Blanchard) vs. Arik Cannon and Renny D
Ruby Soho vs. Hyan
Too Fast Too Fuego vs. Brandon Gore and Kit Sackett
The Acclaimed vs. Dark Order's Alan "5" Angels and Colt Cabana
Riho, Kris Statlander and Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura and The Bunny (Lulu's final appearance)
The Varsity Blonds and Lee Johnson & Brock Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) vs. The Factory's Aaron Solo & Nick Comoroto, JD Drake and Ryan Nemeth (w/ QT Marshall)
John Silver vs. Peter Avalon
Sonny Kiss vs. Adam Grace
Dark Order's 10 vs. Mikey Wild
Scorpio Sky vs. Craven Knyte

Yikes, a 90-minute Dark. Guess I'll have to skip my way through this one. 

Hmmm, let's see:

Powerhouse Hobbs (w/ Hook) vs. Jaysin Strife: Well, not gonna skip this one. I love me some big man clubbering (as do we all). (Also, I got a legit lol at a guy named Tazz saying to a guy named Excalibur, "What kind of a name is Stryfe? That's gotta be a work."

Andrade El Idolo (w/ Jose) vs. Jah-C: Can't skip this. I missed the boat on Andrade in WWE so I wanna catch as much of him as possible now.

Shawn Spears and Wardlow (w/ Tully Blanchard) vs. Arik Cannon and Renny D Skip a Wardlow squash? Not likely! Also, Arik Cannon yelled at me once at a Dragon Gate show in Fukuoka (because I was cheering for his opponent) and it freaked my then-girlfriend (and current wife) out so much that she was worried that "Mohawk Guy" was gonna attack us and didn't completely calm down until we left Fukuoka. So obviously I think he's great. 

Ruby Soho vs. Hyan: Can't skip this. I missed the boat on Ruby Riot in WWE so I wanna catch as much of Ruby Soho as possible now.

Too Fast Too Fuego vs. Brandon Gore and Kit Sackett: After Fuego Dos pulled the "Strap comes down/Strap goes back up" and "Double roll diving hot tag" spots last time, I'm not skipping 2F2F.

The Acclaimed vs. Dark Order's Alan "5" Angels and Colt Cabana: Gotta at least watch the rap...

Riho, Kris Statlander and Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura and The Bunny (Lulu's final appearance) Yeah, right. Like I'm gonna skip Lulu Pencil's last appearance! ?

The Varsity Blonds and Lee Johnson & Brock Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) vs. The Factory's Aaron Solo & Nick Comoroto, JD Drake and Ryan Nemeth (w/ QT Marshall) JD Drake is my guy. If he's on a team with Comoroto, I am all the way there.

John Silver vs. Peter Avalon: Not skipping Hungie.

Sonny Kiss vs. Adam Grace: Not skipping Kiss.

Dark Order's 10 vs. Mikey Wild: Am I gonna skip 10? 

Scorpio Sky vs. Craven Knyte: Maybe I can skip this one! But it's the main, so probably something cool is in store here...

Aw, damn it! I watched the whole thing. There's 90 minutes I could have spent productively but instead spent having a blast watching pro wrestling. ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That John Silver/Peter Avalon match was WILDLY better than it had any right to be.  Ryo Mizunami rules so hard.  Big Shoitty Lee Johnson is the secret Wrestling Machine of AEW.  So PETER AVALON is the best wrestler in AEW....

• Like 5

Dark 11/16/21

Hobbs vs Strife: Nice little mauling here. Most big guys I like best when they control the center of the ring and have the action come to them, but Hobbs is best charging at people and charging people into the corner and he does that plenty here. Very effective squash.

Andrade vs Jah-C: Not a lot here, but the finish (a double armbar sort of thing to reverse a roll up) was very good. It's a nice move to establish for other matches, was lightning fast in how he put it on and looked particularly nasty.

Wardlow/Spears vs Arik Cannon and Renny: They probably should have given Cannon a move or two against Spears. Instead he got to be defiant against Wardlow, for all the good that did him. I really do like Wardlow's instincts and presence when it comes to the crowd and his opponent. For Spears, his stuff hits clean and he's always on and in character. You'd think he'd do well to tone it back 20% but I'm not sure he'd stand out at all if he did, so maybe better to border on that annoying heat than not to get much heat in general?

Soho vs Hyan: Was going very well until Ruby couldn't stick the landing on the belly to back counter. Everything else looked good. Unfortunately, that was the set up for her finish. Fortunately, her finish still works after a stumble. Henry being aghast by Taz's singing was fun though.

Too Fast Too Fuego vs Sackett and Gore: One really nicely timed pin break up by Sackett. The double roll. Otherwise, this wasn't as fun as the last Fuego 2 match but leaned into fundamentals a bit more. Lots of clapping. The belt motion. I still enjoyed it well enough. I'm amused by the idea that they're just going to keep winning on Dark to the point where their record is so good they have to be featured otherwise.

Acclaimed vs Dark Order (Cabana/Angels): Yeah, this was the best Acclaimed match I've ever seen. The rap worked really well, drawing a Purple Rain chant, which made sense given the Dark Order's color. What stood out was their timing on the cutoffs, which was just excellent. Obviously that was on both teams but just really impressively done and multiple times at that. Cabana was a good foil for them and I hope he gets some shine when AEW hits Chicago soon (like a Danielson match). The bionic elbow spot was particularly fun here. Nicely timed (again) finish. Just really hit the marks. If they could look like this every time out, people would be much higher on them.

Statlander/Mizunami/Riho vs Rose/Sakura/Bunny: Someone's going to make a comp of all of these 2021 tags and trios some day. By this point, I think Rose and Sakura, at least, have great chemistry together. They've teamed up enough after all. The assisted swanton was brisk and sharp and absolutely crushing. People should go back to see that. It really should have finished the match but you've got to protect Statlander here. The set up for the big bang theory wasn't pretty but was impressive. Vickie was effective for her one distraction. This was the last we'll see Lulu for a while and she got shoved to the best of her ability after the corner splash (which was set up better than usual). I liked Bunny, who had gotten hyper chopped in the corner, just hitting one later on as if it was somehow the same. She tends to take all of the offense really well in these trios. The fighting and eventually hitting of the Queen's Gambit all looked good and gave things a bit more substance. There's a bit in the way of diminishing returns on some of the craziness with the opening and breakdown finishing stretch on these when you see them time and again (and multiple times on the same show really as the 8 man that followed had a lot of it) but I liked the specifics. That swanton was nuts.

Johnson/Anderson/Blonds vs Drake/Nesmeth/Comoroto/Solo: JD Drake and Nick Comoroto would be the two guys I'd put together to be year-long champions. This was another one which had a move that looked so good they should have just called an audible and used it to end the match. In this case, it was Drake's cut off jumping kick towards the end. There was a lot to like for a chunk of this but the last couple of minutes were ugly and felt downright dangerous. Drake barely got him around for the power slam. I kind of like Griff's dive where he just flails all over the place, but I can't condone it necessarily. Then Lee wiped out. Drake hitting Anderson with that off the ropes whack on the outside was very nice, and, in general, Anderson was fine getting beat on here. They did a good job of keeping Johnson out of the match until the end, so it mattered when he got in there. So, good and bad in this one. Still, Drake and the Comoroto would be the Bossman/Hercules team we deserved but never actually got.

Silver vs Avalon: Felt like the sort of match they had a year ago. Silver's a guy on the rise. He's a plucky comedy mid-card act, but he hasn't reached the height of his usefulness with just the Cole match. They should have protected him a bit more here. That could have been Nesmeth or Drake interfering so Avalon could keep control, Avalon just cheating more, or just cutting the heat segment in half. Also not a fan of Silver's Liger Bomb counter to 'ranas that no one would do to him. Avalon did make his stuff look great, including and especially the Spin Doctor, and the opening gambit stuff was fun, but this should have been shorter, more definitive, and funnier.

Kiss vs Grace: Nice flowing offense by Kiss, which Grace took well. It's sort of a shame that after a fairly effective web feud, they don't really have anything for Kiss or Janela.

Vance vs Wild: Not much to say here. Wild hurting his hand on the chop was the best moment, though then he went back to chop more and didn't hurt his hand (not that it worked), so who knows? I'd like to see a singles match between Vance and Hobbs.

Sky vs Knyte: Nice little moment of shine for Knyte with the slingshot elbow in, but he got cut off immediately thereafter with the TKO. Not much to say about these last few.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, Jiji said:

Rad. Kenny's reign was fucking awesome but it's going to be so refreshing to not know where we go next now. Exciting times ahead. Hangman looked beat the hell up in the media scrum, like he paid a severe price for the title. What a visual.

I wasn't much of a fan of Omega till about 2015 or 16 when I started paying more attention to New Japan.  He's such a geek but he's so good that you can't deny. He's the best big match wrestler in the business, he lays it all on the line and does alot of spots and sequences but at the same time is mindful enough to make  it make sense as well as call backs to previous matches depending on the situation. That's Strong Style or Kings Road match psychology, you.get rewarded for  being invested in to the match. 

Those post PPV media scrums are dope. They kinda remind me of Puroresu with the post show press conferences although I not a fan of Tony Khan pulling back the curtain and confirming the booking plans that led to Paiges title win but Khan really has a good feel of booking long term .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kafkonia said:

If Kenny has been working with vertigo, that man is a BEAST. I work a desk job and when my vertigo kicks in I can't even do that.

I had a similar thought. I know the ailments aren't the same, but I also had to call to mind Tetsuya Naito. When Naito was working through his eye issues, he mentioned often seeing 6+ ring ropes while working his match, as opposed to three - never mind how his opponent appeared to him. Given his style, it seems miraculous he was able to make that work.

You'd have to be dialed in every moment, and be so, so good at what you do to be able to compensate for stuff like this. Goes to show the level of skill these athletes have attained, as I see it.

• Like 4

Going to stick it here and not the podcast thread since I don't want to distract from the fact that Phil is talking to Julius Smokes on his pod today (a big step up from him talking to me last week), but Ruby Soho's great on today's AEW Unrestricted and people should listen to it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Had this thought today: What if Super Dragon showed up in AEW? How could you fantasy book that? I mean it's not like he's gonna stay long, or want to lose, so...

Me? He destroys Excalibur from behind at the commentary position during an Elevation taping and then has a ten minute match with Paul Wight.

This is why you don't want me booking this stuff.

(But just imagine the match)

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I had a similar thought. I know the ailments aren't the same, but I also had to call to mind Tetsuya Naito. When Naito was working through his eye issues, he mentioned often seeing 6+ ring ropes while working his match, as opposed to three - never mind how his opponent appeared to him. Given his style, it seems miraculous he was able to make that work.

You'd have to be dialed in every moment, and be so, so good at what you do to be able to compensate for stuff like this. Goes to show the level of skill these athletes have attained, as I see it.

I just listened to Flairs new podcast and he said he could barely work with it and that was the reason he dropped the Title to Bret in 92

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Had this thought today: What if Super Dragon showed up in AEW? How could you fantasy book that? I mean it's not like he's gonna stay long, or want to lose, so...

Use him like Homicide.  Dan Lambert and Ethan Page turn on Scorpio Sky, lights go out, Lambert eats a curb stomp.

Do it on their west coast swing and the crowd goes nuts.

• Thanks 1

I thought very highly at one time of SBS (Super Dragon / Excalibur) vs Steen and Generico from CZW Cage of Death VI, but I haven't watched it in a million years. 

EDIT - Oh, online. Here is SD and Blitzkrieg against American Wild Child and Hell Blazer from Promo Azteca in 12/1997. It's on Bihari's YT channel, so I bet you could dig through there and find at least a couple other matches of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMU2jd2QLXs

And one more with the same 4 guys from 11/1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLsM75iC9I

Just from the personnel involved, it's likely fun, but I don't know for sure that I've seen either one of these.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1