Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man, I know those days are long over, but it would've been fun to read you guys doing a "signature bump" tourney (FWIW, in my head, I've got a Bret's sternum bump vs. Flair's flip into the corner/eat it on the apron pencilled in for the finals)

 

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Flair could probably fill up a few spaces himself, I’d have the flop up there, plus he’s got the throw off the top.

Rikishi’s inside out clothesline bump is a good one, that felt like a pretty crazy bump for a guy of his size. 

 

the dilemma would be whether to Flair's corner flip in an all-Flair bracket with the flop and throw off the top rope, or whether it'd go in a bracket with all the other corner flips like HBK & Heenan, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude, the Terry Funk/Harley Race bump where they hang by their feet by the middle rope then drop to the floor on their head. That's a killer bump for the '70s/'80s. 

The Greg Valentine/Flair face-first bump is the Johnny Valentine bump and none of you forget it! 😛

Speaking of old guys, Gorilla Monsoon's bump where he got knocked over the top rope, flipped back and hit the floor was pretty wild for a 400 lb. person. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

World Class had a very specific bump for Kevin Von Erich's suspended bodyscissors move, it was where Kevin would get whoever was his opponent in the hold for an extended period to the point that the opponent would stagger to the ropes and spill over the top to the floor with both he and Kevin. I remember it in a match with Kevin and Gordy, Kevin and Race and Kevin and (of all people) Brian Adias. It was really something that sticks out to me because no one, and I mean NO ONE has ever done the suspended bodyscissors since KVE

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

My number one Flair bump is the funky way he’d take backdrops, which is occupying similar space as his bump off the top. 

Holy shit yes.  Really, any Flair back bump.  See the press slams he'd take from guys like Luger, for example.  I guess it was because he'd broken his back early in his career, but he never took a flat-back bump.  He'd always roll and kind of take it on one shoulder, then across one side of his back in a really weird way.

Ted DiBiase took a perfect "grab the ropes with both arms straight out and flip completely backwards out of the ring" bump.  He'd always sell like he hit his face on the apron.  *chef's kiss*

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I'm seeing in these responses is that today's wrestlers don't really stand out with their bumps. They're all basically flat back bumps and go straight into the next move. 

Who today has a signature bump?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone has signature spots, hardly anyone has a signature bump. The last one I can think of is Kurt Angle always doing the shoulder into the ringpost thing, but I think that's less of a signature bump and more of an "I only know two ways to get my opponent on offence as a heel" thing.

Kurt was limited, in his craft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

Everyone has signature spots, hardly anyone has a signature bump. The last one I can think of is Kurt Angle always doing the shoulder into the ringpost thing, but I think that's less of a signature bump and more of an "I only know two ways to get my opponent on offence as a heel" thing.

Kurt was limited, in his craft.

Kurt had a pretty cool "getting clotheslined out of the ring" bump.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What I'm seeing in these responses is that today's wrestlers don't really stand out with their bumps. They're all basically flat back bumps and go straight into the next move. 

Who today has a signature bump?

Darby. Vs the guardrail. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone brought Foley's Cactus Clothesline over the top rope with an opponent? It'sa bumpo that Foley had to have the trust of the guy he was working ith as it put them both at risk if done wrong.

James

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kota Ibushi's signature land on his neck for everything for 15 years bumps surely have to count as part of this.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Kota Ibushi's signature land on his neck for everything for 15 years bumps surely have to count as part of this.

There has been talks of Mayu Iwatani having this signature as well. It may or may not be part of the reason she also forgets things like her hotel keys and when to leave for show on time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Greg Valentine/Flair face-first bump is the Johnny Valentine bump and none of you forget it! 😛

I immediately thought of OSJ and Johnny Valentine as soon as that bump was mentioned. He would have been screaming at the screen that it was Elder Valentine's move

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Has anyone brought Foley's Cactus Clothesline over the top rope with an opponent? It'sa bumpo that Foley had to have the trust of the guy he was working ith as it put them both at risk if done wrong.

James

I think the craziest recurring Foley bump is either the elbow to the floor or the sunset flip that was him going splat on the concrete while his opponent gingerly tipped over.  The elbow was cool looking,  but not worth the risk. The sunset flip was just idiotic from start to finish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think the craziest recurring Foley bump is either the elbow to the floor or the sunset flip that was him going splat on the concrete while his opponent gingerly tipped over.  The elbow was cool looking,  but not worth the risk. The sunset flip was just idiotic from start to finish. 

Foley also had the gnarly bump he took when whipped into the steps where he would slam into them knees first and use the momentum to flip over. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Road Warrior Hawk taking his shoulder-first bump through the middle turnbuckles into the ring post was always gnarly and is grossly underappreciated, with the only "through the turnbuckles shoulder post bump" topping that being Psicosis charging into the turnbuckles, his opponent moving, Psicosis flying through, hitting the post shoulder first, but then following that up with a flying header to the floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know if Waltman’s corner ‘jumping up penis to the face at head-height then back flipping off the top ropes’ is one of the greatest, but it’s certainly a signature. It’s also one of those ‘diving nothing’ moves where you’re thinking, what the hell is he going for anyway? 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Rikishi’s inside out clothesline bump is up there for me. 

It looks cool, but having seen enough other people doing the flip out of the Lariat, it seems to take the sting out of the move a bit, compared to just getting smacked; like it's shifting the emphasis from the person doing the move to the victim. Give me a smack that's going to send someone to the floor regardless of whether the victim is stepping through it or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...