DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I’m finally caught up on Ted Lasso. It’s got such a weird wrestling build right now.  They’ve telegraphed enough to see that they’re setting up a couple of heel turns and authority figure shakeups that’ll probably be revealed during the season finale. 

• Like 1

Not sure what feel they are going for. Although one thing that crossed my mind was Sin City, and Speed Racer, with the way characters look like they jumped right out of an animation cell. But then this could just be the work of the anime intro gimmick in this trailer.

One things for sure, I don’t expect this to look like an homage to 60’s, and 70’s American films like the Anime was.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 9/25/2021 at 6:34 PM, dogwelder said:

(I honestly can't remember if it was decided to talk about it here or in the Anime thread)

They used "TANK!!" and used the Anime style credits.  Oh yeah, I'm in (my god, "Real Folk Blues" better be the ending of each episode...

Finally got to watch Ted Lasso. I swear to Christ, if Keelie leaves Roy for Jamie, I am going to fucking riot. There is nothing I hate more in TV shows than contrived love triangles.

Ted Lasso producers, don't fucking go down that path. I'm begging you. Do the Office thing (when the Office was good) where they teased Jim being jealous when Pam was at art school and then Jim, while driving to see Pam, is like "no, I'm not doing this" and turns around to go back home.

Other than that, the revelations about Rebecca's dad and Ted's dad happening at the same time hit me hard considering my own dad died when I was only 17. I don't think I ever mentioned it on here, but my dad died of AIDS and I always looked at his fucking stupidity as him killing himself. I still love and hate my dad to this day. I wish he were here and I'm mad as hell he isn't because he should have been here. So yeah, Ted talking about his own dad hit really fucking close to home.

On the more joyful side of things, I'm up to the season 2 finale of Banshee. This series is so fucking good. The end of this season feels like a repeat of the first where Lucas and the gang go on a suicide mission, this time to save Job and again to try and kill Rabbit.

Job is so fucking awesome. Job and Sugar together are even more awesome. If there were ever a tournament of TV show duos, Job and Sugar would go really far.

• Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/babylon-5-reboot-cw-1235021237/

Welp, I guess with so many dead actors, there's not too much else you can do. I would have liked to see a push forward instead, but it's probably impossible. I'm not sure what the point of redoing a story that was done as well as it was might be but there are a lot of opportunities between technology and what sort of serialized and representative stories are now allowed on TV that maybe some new things could be examined.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

On the more joyful side of things, I'm up to the season 2 finale of Banshee. This series is so fucking good. The end of this season feels like a repeat of the first where Lucas and the gang go on a suicide mission, this time to save Job and again to try and kill Rabbit.

Job is so fucking awesome. Job and Sugar together are even more awesome. If there were ever a tournament of TV show duos, Job and Sugar would go really far.

Just wait until the episode with NOT Jason Statham and the semi. Or maybe that's different episodes, either way it/they are worth the watch.

Edited by driver

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Welp, I guess with so many dead actors, there's not too much else you can do. I would have liked to see a push forward instead, but it's probably impossible. I'm not sure what the point of redoing a story that was done as well as it was might be but there are a lot of opportunities between technology and what sort of serialized and representative stories are now allowed on TV that maybe some new things could be examined.

It could be like the Battlestar reboot, and reimagine it in ways that could create new fans of the show, and genre.

Admittedly I wasn’t a fan of Babylon 5. The only things that interested me were when TV sexpot Tracy Scoggins joined the cast, and the cool alien robot race that wore cloaks. Otherwise it was the sci-fi show that was on TNT, and watched because nothing else was on. I think it might’ve been too much for  my age. I got more out of other sci-fi syndicated shows that were airing during that time. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Thread. JMS is strongly implying that this version will be better than the original.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, driver said:

Just wait until the episode with NOT Jason Statham and the semi. Or maybe that's different episodes, either way it/they are worth the watch.

Oh yeah, I'm past that. That was midway through season 2.

4 hours ago, driver said:

I just watched the episode where his boss got his (also featuring a semi truck) which also featured what was probably the most brutal fight scene yet between Burton and Lola.

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I just watched the episode where his boss got his (also featuring a semi truck) which also featured what was probably the most brutal fight scene yet between Burton and Lola.

That's the episode.

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

And here you all thought that Lucas emasculating the Albino was the height of gratuitous violence in this show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, RandomAct said:

Ted Lasso was tough for me this week. Anyone who has a father that is no longer with us, and a complicated one at that, may have a hard time with this episode. I honestly cried a lot.

Ted Lasso has made me choke up quite a bit this season. I've honestly been more emotional in general lately thanks to fun mental health stuff. 

• Sad 2

https://deadline.com/2021/09/william-shatner-tekwar-adult-animated-series-pure-imagination-studios-1234845103/
EXCLUSIVE: William Shatner and his Shatner Universe has teamed with Pure Imagination Studios to develop and produce a mixed-reality, adult animated series based on Shatner’s hit science fiction thriller TekWar.

I never watched it when it first aired. After seeing a commercial for this old show  today, I had no idea it was a low-budget Blade Runner. A little Earth Final Conflict too. EFC might’ve been a reused production from this show too, now that I’m looking at it real good. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

42 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So they are reanimating the corpse of Jerry Obasch?

Because that is the only way I'm watching L&O again, unless Jack McCoy is still DA

James

I actually thought the last couple seasons were better than most of the middle years (after season 8 or 10).  The last cast (Anthony Anderson, Jeremy Sisto, Alana de la Graza, Linus Roache) had a decent bit of chemistry and the writing picked up the last couple years.  I'll at least give it a chance.

Watched NCIS: Hawaii pilot a bit ago and liked it quite a bit.  Initial impression is that it will be a fair improvement on NCIS: New Orleans (not that's much of an accomplishment, imo).

• Like 1