DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh man that is just one of th best Blessed being Blessed things you can ever watch/!

James

On the doc i watched, they basically said they wanted Blessed just to do the Gordon’s alive gag.

Edited by odessasteps

Love love love it. I don't care man. I wanted something hyper stylized, and I'm getting it. Obviously the main show won't have all the meta panel breaking and stuff, but I think this is a good idea of what the action and cinematography will look like.

Ok, it's official, I should not watch Foundation if I'm tired. I may have dozed off for 5 or 10 minutes during episode 2 and that was enough to make me feel totally lost. Even still, the plot seemed straightforward enough to allow me to move on to episode 3. I dozed off again and then I was even more confused.

Part of the confusion also has to do with what I think is a Witcher thing and I'll put this part in spoilers, but what I put in spoilers won't go that much into the plot or anything.

Spoiler

I think they're showing 2 or 3 or more different timelines. In addition, I think there have been multiple time jumps and at least one or more time jumps within an episode. So even if you're awake, but loosely paying attention, you're going to be confused. 

And maybe I'm wrong, but it definitely feels like we're seeing some things happen in the present, other stuff that is happening either in the past or the future, but the show makes it look like the present, and stuff that is definitely in the far future.

So I'm going to go back and rewatch from season 2 onward. I only made it through episode 4 last night anyway. I also totally understand the mixed reviews for the series. Even with me being confused, I think what I'm seeing is very good. I also can see why some reviewers would be pretty put off by the series because of it's pacing and how easy it is to feel lost by whatever is happening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Love love love it. I don't care man. I wanted something hyper stylized, and I'm getting it. Obviously the main show won't have all the meta panel breaking and stuff, but I think this is a good idea of what the action and cinematography will look like.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, Craig H said:

Yeah, Succession fucking ruled. So, so, so happy it's back. 

Spoiler

Tom really botched lobbying for Shiv with Logan.

Edited by Chaos

10 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I hated the idea of live-action Cowboy Bebop until about 120 seconds ago, but that trailer.... makes me think the idea can work.  My interest in the show just went from -5 to "Why is today not November 18?"

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah but you gotta expect that from Tom. Roman is who really shit the bed.

Nah. Roman's kink is Gerri having power. I think he got exactly what he wanted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I hated the idea of live-action Cowboy Bebop until about 120 seconds ago, but that trailer.... makes me think the idea can work.  My interest in the show just went from -5 to "Why is today not November 18?"

Honestly, when it was first announced, I was in the "they are gonna mess it up" camp. I slowly went into cautious optimism, and now I am at full blown excitement.

• Like 1

Rewatched episodes 1 and 2 of Foundation. Man, everything makes so much more sense when you're not struggling to stay awake. Excellent two episodes. Looking forward to rewatching 3 and 4 because now the story is all coming together for me.

Speaking of Apple TV+... so we're now two episodes into The Problem with Jon Stewart, and... I don't know, maybe I viewed his version of the Daily Show with rose colored glasses, or maybe he's just lost it, or maybe I'm just so far left these days that his brand of centrist/liberal humor just isn't for me anymore, but I really don't like anything about the show besides the panel portion.

I mean, I'll still watch him over Trevor Noah or Stephen Colbert for sure, but... man, I don't know. I find more humor in Hasan Piker or Andrew Callaghan/Channel Five/All Gas No Brakes.

• Like 1

At least in my personal experience, I think at the Daily Show’s heights during the Bush administration I was young enough to believe that what they were doing was going to actually affect politics and create change in some meaningful way. It turns out humorously pointing out hypocrisy isn’t a deterrent for hypocrites. Stewart seems to be a decent man, and his work to help the 9/11 responders is admirable, but now he’s just one of a bunch of comedic pundits trying to make increasingly tougher pills to swallow go down easier. 

• Like 6

I liked episode 2 of The Problem With more than the first, but I think the biggest failing so far is that they're only covering one topic and that one topic is a fucking bummer. It's why I think Last Week Tonight works so well. 

Also, for a show title The Problem With, I would hope that at least some solutions would be offered to said problems.

Brought What We Do in the Shadows a couple times in the Dynamite thread, but this week's episode was such a bummer. Leave it to this show to both make me laugh pretty hard and also feel pretty sad at the same time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Dear god, Kendall is still the worst.

It was definitely a weird episode. Between him overpromising and all of the other dynamics at play, I think we're in for a powder keg of a season. 

Finally, some scenes where Daniella Pineda actually looks like Faye Valentine.

also

HOLY FUCK ITS MAD PIERROT LE FOU~!

*regains composure*

I'm in, dudes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2