DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Not sure where to put this since there's no "Upcoming TV/Streaming Series" thread.

The general rule I have been following for both current and upcoming TV - if it is an actual TV show it can go in the TV thread

If it is a limited series on a streaming services - it goes in the general streaming service thread

Obviously there is some wiggle room there but it is what I have been trying to do

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, Craig H said:

Anyone watch For All Mankind? I dig alternate history, considering I watched every single bit of Man in the High Castle, and I'm wondering if this is worth a watch. A quick glance at word of mouth and reviews make it look pretty underwhelming.

I just recently discovered this series and so far have only seen the first season. I am liking the show quite a lot, though I must admit that space exploration or whatever you want to call it is a topic I am really interested in in general.

The show definitely is not without flaws: sometimes it feels directionless (or jumping back and forth between completely different directions way too fast), one of the plot lines (at least in season 1) feels completely tacked on and society is portrayed as much more open and politically correct than I expect the late 60ies and early 70ies were in the US (or more precisely in Texas). But the premise is a nice idea (and if you don't know it, the way the first scene of the first episode is brilliant), it throws some unexpected (but not completely out-there) curveballs and the character-heavy stuff usually is done quite well.

I'm glad Killing Eve is going to end soon-ish; the third season was OK but it's definitely run its course and then some by now.

While I have Hulu, I started watching Castle Rock, don't really know why except that my ex said she watched it.  The first season starts slow but it's a lot better than I would have expected from a Stephen King property.  Although, having said that, The Outsider was also really good, so maybe his stuff is just better in the hands of a TV room that can shape it. 

Castle Rock also has a fairly striking episode where a character with dementia is portrayed in a rather interesting way, but I want to say I've seen a better example of Alzheimer's being done as part of a TV episode.  I just can't remember what live-action show it was - I definitely remember the excellent BoJack Horseman episode, but something else I watched around the same time did it, too.  Anyone know offhand what TV show pulled off that feat?  It was something relatively recent, such that it would have been contemporary to Castle Rock and BoJack doing it.

EDIT: I suppose it could have been Season 3 of True Detective, but I feel like this was a case of a standalone episode that's sticking in my craw.

Edited by Contentious C

Starz has cancelled American Gods

There are discussions between the production company and Starz about doing either an "event series" or a movie to wrap everything up

Despite what a clusterfuck the production apparently was and the further departures from the book, season 3 was significantly better than 2. They both had way too much dead weight and dumb subplots, though. I'm fine with it being wrapped up.

So on some of the online ads, Viacom's been advertising First Contact day for Star Trek for today for a whole.  Checking the website, there's a bunch of panels going on today online, but leading off is a panel of Wheton and Stewart with a "Special Announcement", so we're probably getting either a release date for Strange New Worlds, an announcement of Picard S2, or both.

9 hours ago, J.H. said:

Maybe with AG getting cancelled Mcshane will decide to revive Lovejoy?

James

He wants to do a reboot of it, with someone playing his Niece as the new main character.

39 minutes ago, AxB said:

He wants to do a reboot of it, with someone playing his Niece as the new main character.

Man...here I was just hoping for a MST3K joke and that bites me in the ass. I mean... I like Lovejoy so am pleased to hear something is up

James

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

Maybe with AG getting cancelled Mcshane will decide to revive Lovejoy

Please don't tease that shit.  I was all about A&E Mystery Mondays when I was in college.

I loved the first episode of season two of Creepshow(especially the Pledge Drive episode). I like how with one character they aimed for Bob Ross and ended up with Sam Roberts.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

CBS has cancelled the MacGyver reboot with the April 30th episode serving as the series finale

It had run for 5 seasons

I remember when it premiered.

I had no clue it was still on.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks has been what it is. It's inoffensive, but it's not lighting my world on fire. The reveal of why Bombay became such a grump didn't really land, but I like that it at least had some roots in reality, and it's the sort of thing that I can absolutely see him doing.

Excited that the next episode is called "Hockey Moms", because if there is one thing that will get Gordon Bombay's attention.....

2 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Mighty Ducks has been what it is. It's inoffensive, but it's not lighting my world on fire. The reveal of why Bombay became such a grump didn't really land, but I like that it at least had some roots in reality, and it's the sort of thing that I can absolutely see him doing.

Excited that the next episode is called "Hockey Moms", because if there is one thing that will get Gordon Bombay's attention.....

I'm enjoying it well enough, but nothing has convinced me this needed to be a series and not a 90 minute movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm enjoying it well enough, but nothing has convinced me this needed to be a series and not a 90 minute movie.

I've stuck with it so far, but my problems with it are still the same as they were with the first episode. All of the kids absolutely suck. Athletically, they're terrible. As characters, they're borderline annoying. I figured I would give the first movie a watch again just to compare and man...that movie is still pretty good. You can believe those kids could get organized to win and they're all pretty loveable.

Honestly, what I like the most is backfilling what Gordon Bombay has been up to and giving Reilly from Letterkenny some high-ish profile work.

I don't know...This series just feels too OG Disney Channel when it should be something verging on PG-13.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I've stuck with it so far, but my problems with it are still the same as they were with the first episode. All of the kids absolutely suck. Athletically, they're terrible. As characters, they're borderline annoying. I figured I would give the first movie a watch again just to compare and man...that movie is still pretty good. You can believe those kids could get organized to win and they're all pretty loveable.

Honestly, what I like the most is backfilling what Gordon Bombay has been up to and giving Reilly from Letterkenny some high-ish profile work.

I don't know...This series just feels too OG Disney Channel when it should be something verging on PG-13.

With it being a series they can get away with them being really bad in the first season, they don't need to wrap season 1 up with them winning the big game, all they need to do is be somewhat functional and build on that in season 2.

Something else TV related where I didn't think it would get any traction or attention in the Comics Movies and TV folder, but Invincible is really, really good. The end of the first episode is downright shocking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Something else TV related where I didn't think it would get any traction or attention in the Comics Movies and TV folder, but Invincible is really, really good. The end of the first episode is downright shocking.

It got some talk in the Action Cartoons Thread.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Ooooo but did the last Snowfall just piss me off

Spoiler

Killing Abe specifically. You motherfucker you. She should have known better than to take a drink from him though; I'm sure he was just gonna pull up next to her with a silencer or a blow dart or some shit if not that though. Now I'm wondering if Shithead is still in good graces with his bosses for this or if he really is going rogue. 

I'm keeping up with Mayans too but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. The thing I think is funny about both shows is all these bodies pile up and not a single cop shows up at anyone's doorstep. The funniest part about the last Mayans was the methheads getting down on some acoustic jams of Misfits and GG Allin haha.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ooooo but did the last Snowfall just piss me off

Hide contents

Killing Abe specifically. You motherfucker you. She should have known better than to take a drink from him though; I'm sure he was just gonna pull up next to her with a silencer or a blow dart or some shit if not that though. Now I'm wondering if Shithead is still in good graces with his bosses for this or if he really is going rogue. 

I'm keeping up with Mayans too but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. The thing I think is funny about both shows is all these bodies pile up and not a single cop shows up at anyone's doorstep. The funniest part about the last Mayans was the methheads getting down on some acoustic jams of Misfits and GG Allin haha.

Seems like Mayans is like Sons of Anarchy in that way then. Jax kills more people than cancer in that show and the local yokel cops are clearly incompetent or on the take yet no one seems to care.

• Like 2