DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Powerpuff Girls live action pilot to be redone. No surprise when you read this NSFW:

Bloody hell.

What. The. Fuck. 

• Like 2

Looks like someone misunderstood that they said "Write an adult Powerpuff Girls show", and thought they wanted an ADULT Powerpuff Girls show.

• Like 1

One more thing of note about the Powderpuff repilot - everyone attached to it is staying on.

Including Heather Regnier and Diablo Cody.... who wrote the original pilot that is being rejected

I read the Twitter thread where the guy posted more pages of script.  If it's real.... hoo boy... I really don't think you can a reboot of the Powerpuff girls aimed at teens or adults.  It's a kids show.  Playing it straight probably wouldn't work.  Doing a deconstructionist take seems like it would be tricky to do as well.

Like Matt said, the script seems like a very Riverdale take on the show.  Without the wit and creativity (I'm not even a regular watcher of Riverdale, but it's fairly popular so it's clearly doing something right).  I'm inclined to think the script is fake because it's so awful that it seems like seems like a parody.  

Edit: LOl, I'm guessing "Diablo Cody" isn't his real name.  

Edit 2: I had no idea Diablo Cody was a woman.  Or that she wrote the story/screenplay for two well-regarded films (I think Jennifer's Body got decent reviews).  I'm not a film fan, obviously.

Edited by Eoae

55 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Edit: LOl, I'm guessing "Diablo Cody" isn't his real name.  

Diablo Cody is a woman.  She was the screenwriter for Juno and Jennifer's Body.  

I haven't drunk the Diablo Cody flavor aid so I don't think she's this magical oracle providing inspired insight on how the cool kids think like other people do.  Matter of fact, none of the adolescents in her films speak like the adolescents do in real life.

• Like 3

Just now, J.T. said:

Diablo Cody is a woman.  She was the screenwriter for Juno and Jennifer's Body.  

I haven't drunk the Diablo Cody flavor aid so I don't think she's this magical oracle providing inspired insight on how the cool kids think like other people do.  Matter of fact, none of the adolescents in her films speak like the adolescents do in real life.

I stand corrected.  I've never heard of her, obviously,  

The only Diablo Cody thing I have ever liked is Juno. Otherwise, I think she kinda sucks.

And doing a live action Powerpuff Girls tv series is never going to work. They already rebooted the animated series, which was...fine...? There was some stuff with the new animated series that really made me laugh in the way Teen Titans Go makes us laugh, but other stuff just didn't work. And the animation was not good at times. Overall, the batting average for the animated series reboot wasn't good.

Maybe it's me living high off of doing another re-watch of Adventure Time and recently watching Adventure Time Distant Lands: Together Again, but they'd be better off doing the animated thing one more time and following the Adventure Time blueprint. Sadly, it's not like there are extra Adam Mutos, Rebecca Sugars, and Pendelton Wards lying around to do that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The only Diablo Cody thing I have ever liked is Juno. Otherwise, I think she kinda sucks.

Jennifer's Body would've been okay if the dialogue hadn't been horrible and that's at the feet of Cody.

Karyn Kusama rebounded nicely with The Invitation, so that was further proof to me that Jennifer's Body was mostly bad because Diablo Cody is a bit of a hack.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jennifer's Body would've been okay if the dialogue hadn't been horrible and that's at the feet of Cody.

Karyn Kusama rebounded nicely with The Invitation, so that was further proof to me that Jennifer's Body was mostly bad because Diablo Cody is a bit of a hack.

Young Adult also comes to mind as far as Diablo Cody's hack writing goes.

There's a way to make that Archie comics shit edgy and make it work to a certain audience. The same is true for the Sabrina reboot, which I never watched, but my wife did and she liked it more than she thought she would.

Powerpuff Girls is neither of those things. Making PPG edgy or grown up doesn't work for many obvious reasons. 

If they want another edgy CW series so bad, fucking license Mean Girls or something, but in the tv series, the girls murder someone, plot the murder of another person, and then the outsider of the group has to worry about the rest of the group turning on them while also maintaining their innocence. Ultimately, Regina would die and the rest would go to jail. Or something. Fuck, I don't know. But there you go CW, there's another easy peasy edgy teen drama for you.

• Like 2

The beauty of Riverdale is that it is edgy, yet still has a lot of the elements from the comics and makes them work.  Jughead Jones still wears that goddamn crown hat.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is just plain great.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

The only thing I have watched by Diablo Cody is Jennifer's Body. It gets some love now for some reason, but back when it first came out it I don't recall it being well received at all. I thought Megan Fox did well enough, but otherwise I didn't think it was very good or even just decent.

Edgy Powerpuff Girls is just a terrible idea no matter how they try to work it and Cody does not seem liek a good choice to write it at all whatever direction they are trying to go.

Riverdale is fun, and Sabrina has been generally solid-good though I need to catch up to the former and finish the latter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

If they want another edgy CW series so bad, fucking license Mean Girls or something, but in the tv series, the girls murder someone, plot the murder of another person, and then the outsider of the group has to worry about the rest of the group turning on them while also maintaining their innocence. Ultimately, Regina would die and the rest would go to jail. Or something. Fuck, I don't know. But there you go CW, there's another easy peasy edgy teen drama for you.

So to update Mean Girls, you make it even more like Heathers?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So to update Mean Girls, you make it even more like Heathers?

....Sure? I mean, the Heathers series failed, why not try again with Mean Girls? 

Amanda Holden: Still primarily famous for marrying the then- 42 year old, then-famous Les Dennis when she was 24, and then cheating on him. And that was 26 years ago.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Amanda Holden: Still primarily famous for marrying the then- 42 year old, then-famous Les Dennis when she was 24, and then cheating on him. And that was 26 years ago.

Yep. Horrible what happened to Les Dennis. Still remember his stint on Big Brother. Forgot to add Piers Morgan to my can't stand, fuck you list.

I don't tend to watch TV shows. I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Cheers and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As Friends Reunion is a twitter trend, I watched a handful of episodes and it didn't do it for me. Neither did Rick and Morty.

• Like 1

Well, Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Mad Men are all pretty awesome.  The beauty of television now is that you'll never miss anything.  Just binge watch at your own pace and you'll be GTG.  Or just check out the more critically acclaimed episodes and use a wiki to fill in the blanks.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are very episodic in nature, so I would recommend binge watching all of the episodes gradually so that you get a better appreciation of the story.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1