Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

I assume there's at least one great match with like the Midnights or someone, but fuck that Stampede ten men is just flat out awesome and gonna be real hard to top.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beef spectacular even!

34 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly that's probably the right answer. I love the Road Warriors/Sasaki vs. Steiners/Scott Norton match at the Tokyo Dome in 1996 but that's more Beef Spectacle than actually great match.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Raven said Billy Corgan will be shutting down the NWA.

"I think Billy’s shutting it down, from what I hear,” Raven said. “From the grapevine, I heard that Billy’s not opening it back up, he’s really disillusioned.”
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely it would be a significantly different from an expenses/structure perspective Lagana-less given he was like a Borash in TNA wearing all the hats (not least the Ten Pounds of Gold mini-docs which is what put them on the map before the studio show). Where would he even start in tiptoeing through the carny minefield? I mean, Pritchard’s not a free agent now so hope is lost in finding a five-tool player with integrity...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Custos said:

Surely it would be a significantly different from an expenses/structure perspective Lagana-less given he was like a Borash in TNA wearing all the hats (not least the Ten Pounds of Gold mini-docs which is what put them on the map before the studio show). Where would he even start in tiptoeing through the carny minefield? I mean, Pritchard’s not a free agent now so hope is lost in finding a five-tool player with integrity...

Let's revisit this in 3-4 months.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he didn’t survive 2+ decades without being able to wriggle out of a hole or two. But I grant you, worst RAW ratings of all time is a pretty sizeable hole.

Wasnt a 1.1 rating the running joke for TNA viewership in the mid-00s? Like no matter what they do and who they debut it will never break 1.1? Or was it 1.1m viewership? 

Edit to avoid double post being late to the party: I’m pretty sure Power Slam magazine in the UK introduced a section with humorous comments taken from DVDVR on their letters page sometime 2005-6ish and so I went to the source and mostly lurked since then. My memory may be deficient so perhaps another Brit can corroborate. I think it only lasted a couple of months, maybe because a DVDVR poster slagged off the lack of Lucha content in said magazine. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Pritchard doesn't work out role wise..WWE's only other option left is somebody younger than 50. 

Anyway with the one writing team mandate in effect and the plan to do less house shows when they start those back up...one wonders if WWE will eventually end the brand split between Raw and Smackdown. Could help boost the ratings short term.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, D.Z said:

Raven said Billy Corgan will be shutting down the NWA.

"I think Billy’s shutting it down, from what I hear,” Raven said. “From the grapevine, I heard that Billy’s not opening it back up, he’s really disillusioned.”
 

That's a damn shame if true. I was really digging the new NWA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurningBeard said:

I pre-emptively did this two pages ago son 

Whoops how did I miss that? Sorry mate. The answer to your question is: at least one 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, D.Z said:

Raven said Billy Corgan will be shutting down the NWA.

"I think Billy’s shutting it down, from what I hear,” Raven said. “From the grapevine, I heard that Billy’s not opening it back up, he’s really disillusioned.”
 

Thank god we know it's not true then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not shocked NWA wouldn't survive the pandemic, sadly. Hopefully the breakout wrestlers on there can find spots in other companies. I'm surprised MLW isn't dead but I can't imagine a lot of companies won't be feeling the effects for years to come, like everyone else.

I'm thankful some companies have been able to keep going through this. Less wrestling is never good. I just wish they were better about masks and the safety of all but again I guess that applies to life outside wrestling. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What would the best Road Warriors match be (that wasn't a squash)? I think it might just be the Stampede overall. 

I really liked The Road Warriors vs. Buzz/Brett Sawyer from the GCW 11/4/83 Omni show that was a WWE Hidden Gem. They weren't so calcified yet.

MD: I loved this. Earlier in the day I doubled back and caught a lot of what we have of GCW TV from November. That meant I saw the Buzz Sawyer turn. The pop when he ran back to the ring to team with his brother here was huge. They had delayed this one show with the injury angle on Brett. There was just a buzz and that initial shine with the revenge cast shots and the fans reacting to every shot was great. Considering how little the Road Warriors would give a few years later, they were great at doing what they had to here. They were completely protected by the weapon-like nature of the cast and the sheer babyface fury that Buzz brought. I thought the bearhug control bits were actually really effective, which was a testament to Brett's selling and how badly the crowd wanted the Sawyers to get revenge and the finish was pretty triumphant. The perfect match for this crowd and this moment. Between this, the Last Battle of Atlanta and the Thanksgiving show, plus some stuff we know they have back in August from previous releases, we're starting to get this real picture of the territory just like we were able to with Houston a few years back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Custos said:

 



Wasnt a 1.1 rating the running joke for TNA viewership in the mid-00s? Like no matter what they do and who they debut it will never break 1.1? Or was it 1.1m viewership? 

 

k1XERCu.gif

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1283742092926373888?s=19

Hope the link works (first time trying). Arsenal played Triple H's theme as they came out for the second half against Liverpool last night. Sadly, we were denied the sight of Big David Luiz spitting water while waving a sledgehammer. 

Here you go:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Custos said:

Edit to avoid double post being late to the party: I’m pretty sure Power Slam magazine in the UK introduced a section with humorous comments taken from DVDVR on their letters page sometime 2005-6ish and so I went to the source and mostly lurked since then. My memory may be deficient so perhaps another Brit can corroborate. I think it only lasted a couple of months, maybe because a DVDVR poster slagged off the lack of Lucha content in said magazine. 

 

5 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I pre-emptively did this two pages ago son 

 

4 hours ago, Custos said:

Whoops how did I miss that? Sorry mate. The answer to your question is: at least one 

One of my posts from here was definitely printed. I remember Brian Fowler and Dylan Waco as well. It used be a small PowerSlam Magazine feature collecting board posts from across the 'net 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 10:49 PM, RIPPA said:

It’s bugging me now that I am spacing on all the details but the all time best post around here was someone telling the story about how their grandfather pulled a Red Foxx and faked a heart attack because he wasn’t getting enough attention 

Shit I am going to have to search for that post tomorrow 

That was me 😀

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...