DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

53 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So now the beautiful Lexi Kauffman has joined Cameo.  If you thought David Hassellhoff's $300 price was steep, move over because Lexi is charging $400!  That's almost $100 per foot of fury.  Not to be outdone... Roman Reigns is charging $500!!  Yeah I'm sure his fan base really can afford the $500 for a 2 minute video!   

Big E is $125 and it says he's done 419 videos. By my calculation that's over $52,000! 

Is that the time Ian Rotten fined Bobby Eaton for being late to the start of a show (even though their shows were like 5 hours long) so the boys got pissed off at Ian for being a goof and gave them a "Fine Match" where they just laid in a side headlock until the crowd freaked out? Jamie Dundee talked about that in his infamous/legendary shoot interview but I've never actually seen it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s bugging me now that I am spacing on all the details but the all time best post around here was someone telling the story about how their grandfather pulled a Red Foxx and faked a heart attack because he wasn’t getting enough attention 

Shit I am going to have to search for that post tomorrow 

Similar. Ian got on the mic and said he wasn't gonna pay Tracy that night unless he cut it out, which calmed him down. But then Bobby started it up again which told you they were working. 

The crowd believed it though, especially the fat guy who took his shirt off and burned himself with a cigar, and the "bitch with the bat" that swung on Tracy for getting too close. Looking at Tracy there, you can't really blame them. 

51 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Joel Gertner called my friend on his birthday and spoke with him for 30 plus mins. $500 for a 2 min shout out is absurd. No parent is spending $500 on their kid for that, no adult would be feeling that bad that they would say "gee, I feel like shit, I'm going to pay $500 for a shout out from Roman Reigns"    I mean it's absolutely outrageous!!!! 

They don’t have to do Cameo at all. I’m sure they’ve priced themselves at a price where it’s worth it for them to do it without having to do it too much. Roman’s was actually cheaper, and he bumped up the price, so I’m guessing he was getting too many at the previous price.

Of all the things I've learned today, I'm most surprised we have a moral compass. I thought that was a rumor or something a person made up in the sleaze thread like someone shitting on glass tables.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Joel Gertner called my friend on his birthday and spoke with him for 30 plus mins. $500 for a 2 min shout out is absurd. No parent is spending $500 on their kid for that, no adult would be feeling that bad that they would say "gee, I feel like shit, I'm going to pay $500 for a shout out from Roman Reigns"    I mean it's absolutely outrageous!!!! 

That's nothing. People routinely pay $400+ per ringside seat(so you figure you're dropping a MINIMUM of $800 if there's only 2 of you) at WWE House Shows where you get a "VIP" experience to meet a random wrestler that you don't even get to choose.

There's rasslin' fans out there who will go 6 weeks without electricity for that 2-minute shout-out from Roman Reigns.

Edited by Peck

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Found it - turns out it’s the third most “popular” post in this version of the board's history 

Some of those posts from 2014 look like they could very much apply today. I had to look at the timestamp just to make sure I had the right tab open.

Guest Edwin
52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Similar. Ian got on the mic and said he wasn't gonna pay Tracy that night unless he cut it out, which calmed him down. But then Bobby started it up again which told you they were working. 

The crowd believed it though, especially the fat guy who took his shirt off and burned himself with a cigar, and the "bitch with the bat" that swung on Tracy for getting too close. Looking at Tracy there, you can't really blame them. 

She hit Tracy in the face with the bat and that's when it goes over the top.

There's also a cage match with Bull Pain, Tarek the Great, Sabu, Ian Rotten, etc. and Tracy goes bonkers in it, too. He's punching fools in the face, throwing chairs, pushing and shoving security and fans. It's great.

I began following IWA-MS in 2004 when it got hot with all the big indy names. I had seen the big Hero and Punk matches before then, but that was it. This pre 2004 stuff is great, though.

That IWA-MS ring is embarrassing. Maybe the grossest ring in wrestling history.

40 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I totally remember that. My reaction was that this is a special kind of weirdo that has not yet been recorded in the wild.

The weird shirt post I remember is someone saying he's grown up so now he won't wear a shirt that has a design on the back. And then three or four people agreeing with him.

I couldn't understand the argument (not that he really made one). I still don't. It was, like, one of those psychological experiments when everyone agrees that 2+2=3, just to see if you'll go along with it.

I acknowledge I could have that backward and he actually said he won't wear a shirt that DOESN'T have a design on the back. Neither makes any more sense than the other to me.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I want Cena or Roman to do an outside booking like a New Japan or a AAA big show like Hogan did in.93 when he did that Muta match and tried to work an angle with Inoki while he was there. 

Jericho doesn't count because he was booked as a mid card during his last run before he started working NJ. 

Roman turning up to help the fam in the Bullet Club would be insane.

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So now the beautiful Lexi Kauffman has joined Cameo.  If you thought David Hassellhoff's $300 price was steep, move over because Lexi is charging $400!  That's almost $100 per foot of fury.  Not to be outdone... Roman Reigns is charging $500!!  Yeah I'm sure his fan base really can afford the $500 for a 2 minute video!   

Man, Alexa is brave as hell for doing this. The wave of creepers asking to see her feet or some other bizarre shit is going to be off the charts.

And something tells me the "Face Fuck me, Finn" lady is counting out the dollars for Mr. Reigns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh my gah, that sounds so great. I have IWTV but it seems that show ain't on there (yet?), dammit.

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Here's the thing: when he signed up for Cameo a couple of months ago, Roman initially charged $250. Pricey, but in keeping with what WWE sets for his Premium VIP meet and greets during Wrestlemania weekend. Apparently, he was bombarded with requests. He had to adjust his rate a couple of times to get his supply vs demand formula right.

And I'm pretty sure Roman is up to $600 per request now, if the screencap I saw a few days ago was accurate.

I can't imagine paying a month's car note for a "How ya doing, thanks for the support, hello to your grandma, stay healthy" video. But Roman seems to be doing Cameos regularly even at his higher price. I imagine Alexa will have similar success. That's the case with those who want to be close to celebrities for any number of reasons. Soap opera stars used to make a mint doing luncheons and weekend cruises for diehard followers. It feels personal, even though it's 100% a business transaction.

My only surprise is WWE hasn't found a way to get a cut of wrestlers' profits yet.

The Cameo thing is weird/fascinating to me, but I guess the more I think about it the more I just see it as an extension of the classic wrestling formula where workers would work the merch table because if they could sell like 2 t-shirts they suddenly doubled their indie show payday. I'm sure for some of the bit actors who are using it to squeeze a little more out of That One Hit Thing I Did In The 90's or whatever, it's probably a pretty decent pay add-on. I don't personally see the value in it, but I guess some people would rather have a shout out than a new hat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elizium said:

I have the absolute dumbest favourite board memory:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I have literally thought about that statement at least once a week for, it must be, 8 years now. I did a search and couldn't find it, so it must have been from one of the older versions of the board. I often wonder what happened to him, maybe he's a Proud Boy now?

And as a side note, since I searched it, we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

I don't remember his DVDVR name, or his other names, but I ended up on a hipster music message board with him and he was the absolute best!  He would go into threads where they were talking about Wilco and post stuff like "Rock music is dead" and make fun of them for being old and it was basically a lawless message board, so he never got banned.  He liked me because we had some similar tastes in music at the time and I used to love to watch him tear this rather snobby insular community apart.  After that message board collapsed (Which had nothing to do with him and more that the people who'd been there for years got mad when they were asked to stop posting curse words in thread titles so they responded by flooding the board and the company that owned it just got fed up with it and nuked it), we ended up on a different message board together and he did the same thing there to increasingly agitated.  I wouldn't be shocked if he made up the whole "dress like an adult" thing to amuse himself because one time on that second message board he talked about really liking some hip hop album and when people mocked him, he accused them of being racist because he was half-black; everyone who mocked him panicked, backed down and apologized to him (Even though there was no cause to) before he posted "Nah, just kidding, I'm not half-black...but what if I was?!" and I think that was the most angry message board reaction I have ever seen, angrier than March Madness.  Just endless posts of people wanting to murder him.  Pretty sure he ended up finally getting banned over that. 

But I definitely remember the t-shirt discussion.  But not his DVDVR name.  Pretty sure he was on Smarks Choice for a while, which had a pretty fun music forum for a while too (I remember a tournament that was just a series of shitty songs to challenge Sugar Ray for most mediocre band and Sugar Ray would win (lose) every time).

Also, I have to say, I was here pre-sleaze thread and I honestly don't think I ever read more than 3-4 posts in that thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, caley said:

*clipped for space*

That would be hilarious if that was the case and would honestly make me feel better. No shame in wearing polos (I won't do it, but people have their tastes) but just the thought that someone believes that is the only proper way to dress "adult" has haunted me for years.

I feel like the designs on the back of t-shirts discussion has come up a couple times in the Merch thread. I'm definitely on Team Blank Back

• Sad 1

I got my buddy a birthday Cameo from Tommy Dreamer a year or so ago. I think it was $40 bucks and me and the dude’s wife split it. Dreamer left a perfectly funny video and it was a goofy surprise to send it to my buddy.

I think that’s how most people see Cameo. It’s a goofy gag gift. 

• Like 1