DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Ospreay does a spingboard cutter that he's since dropped as his main finish.

Stormbreaker's worthy replacement.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, thank you.

I don't see the connection between Marty and the Rock at all. 

I find Marty to be a guy who more often than not is content playing to the crowd and using his charisma at the expense of psychology and a lot of his stuff I have similar qualms about that you have with Rock.  

55 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Jay Lethal's finish makes me not want to watch any RoH.

I never cared for it as an every match move but I was ok with him using Iron occasion.  That is until I saw Kenny Kings version...now I think Jay can do it whenever he wants!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Jay Lethal's finish makes me not want to watch any RoH.

Bully Ray and Matt Taven (plus O'Ryan & Marseglia) have the same effect on me.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Stormbreaker has slowly grown on me. 

I’m actually very wild about the Hidden Blade, Top Rope Oscutter, and Stormbreaker combo. The top rope version of the Oscutter especially now with it being a transition into a finisher works for me. The way he doesn’t let go of the hold after hitting it looks lovely.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

On the topic of shitty finishers, I really hate the Skull Crushing Finale. Miz never seems to lock his hands or even actually put them behind the guy’s head, so it just looks really shitty.

Yeah that's one that's never worked for me dating back to Chris Jericho using it as the Breakdown in 2001.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

On the topic of shitty finishers, I really hate the Skull Crushing Finale. Miz never seems to lock his hands or even actually put them behind the guy’s head, so it just looks really shitty.

Well, it somehow looks better than most of his offense.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Meanwhile, I get sneered at for cracking a couple of mild jokes.

I using your post as my jumping off point because I was going to respond last night but I was trying home from work so I could only get off my "lot of zings taken as facts" line. 

So your post reminded me (I don't think anyone was sneering at you directly but I also don't know and can't tell you how to you feel) - especially since I agree with you that a lot of obvious jests were not taken as intended.

@Nice Guy Eddie overracted to @Raziel comment which was a not so thinly veiled joke (which I guess was too thinly veiled) regarding Meltzer (and thus Meltzer sheep adopting it) basically saying that they only places one can have a great match is in Japan or PWG.

I can't believe I have to say this but... Rock's final match as a full time performer was April 27, 2003. PWG didn't even run its first show until July 26, 2003. So even if you want take all comments as serious - Rock couldn't have even worked PWG (especially in its INTERNET DARLING~! hype days if he wanted to.) It would be like saying "Boy - Villano III would have been an all time great if he worked Lucha Underground"

Now if the discussion wants to be around how one truly judges the quality of a match and how much setting/environment/circumstance should factor in - that is one that should be had. But I think at this time and place no one wants to pause and have that nuanced conversation (at least in this specific thread).

Instead everyone freak out because someone rightly pointed out that the Rock's sharpshooter looked bad. So die Rocky die or something.

(This will probably come across harsher than intended but I am exhausted and my patience is about zero at the moment).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I loved The People's Elbow when it was just a cocky, arrogant douchebag thing he did.

When they started treating it as a legit finisher...

I get what you’re saying but people started popping for it more and more it was so obnoxious, plus he started using it on his ascent to the Deadly Games turn, so the fact it got over so much it naturally had to be his finish

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well, it somehow looks better than most of his offense.

That short DDT Miz does (Usually when his opponent is on his knees) is actually really awesome and should be his finisher with the SCF as more of a set-up move.  

• Like 1

Yeah, but if your set up move for the finish is the Skull Crushing Finale, how can you possibly top that? You're getting into Mortal Kombat territory. Can't be crushing someone's skull and then have them get up and start fighting back, can you? And he's supposed to be a good guy now so the idea that he's a deceitful hypebeast doesn't work either.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Let's call the short DDT the Pimp Juice like it's supposed to be called, friends.

You're assuming we want to keep Yujiro's name on anything.

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Before then his finisher was a rolling neckbraker, that was a time where guys have the most basic looking moves as finishers like the Wasteland finisher Barrett had or the Playmaker MVP had, he switched over to the Kawada kick but then they banned that. I thought those lame finishers was another obstacle for guys getting over

Edited by Ziggy

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Before then his finisher was a rolling neckbraker, that was a time where guys have the most basic looking moves as finishers like the Wasteland finisher Barrett had or the Playmaker MVP had, he switched over to the Kawa

I remember him, and a few other guys using Razor’s Edge’s in dark matches before they made TV. I think an agent was extremely desperate to get them to use it.

Between the idea of guys using the crucifix powerbomb and other dudes using really contrived shit, what are some good traditional finishers that are available right now?

First thing that comes to mind is the Alabama Jam, some big agile motherfucker should be using that. 

12 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

First thing that comes to mind is the Alabama Jam, some big agile motherfucker should be using that. 

Technically Fandango uses it (whatever he calls his version)

• Like 1