DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

I'm still booing over here and no it never gets so bad it becomes funny. It's just bad. Memes are evil. Bad puns are evil. Bad puns used in memes are evil. Bad puns that are dad jokes used in memes is the end of society and RIPPA's primary source of entertainment in the future.

tenor.gif?itemid=5043510

• Haha 1

I'm going to post something that's all sorts of controversial and then go take a nap... I was thinking of three of my favorite North American  wrestlers and what set them apart from the pack. The three gents are two Americans and one Canadian. The Canadian is Bret "The Hitman" Hart, and the two Americans are Playboy Buddy Rose and  Johnny Valentine. Obviously any of this trio could get **** out of a broom, but that could be said of lots of guys. What made these three special?  Simple as it is, the answer lies in their finishers... "But wait!" you bellow, "Playboy Buddy Rose never relied on a specific finisher and neither did Johnny V."  As for Bret, he used the sharpshooter a bunch, but it was always  built towards in the context of the match, a far cry from the  nonsense that we see regularly shoved down our throats. What made all three of these guys special is that they didn't do a bunch of contrived BS to set up a particular sequence of moves, everything that was done was done in keeping with the ebb and flow of the match. You had no idea how they were going to end it, merely that they would. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Between the idea of guys using the crucifix powerbomb and other dudes using really contrived shit, what are some good traditional finishers that are available right now?

First thing that comes to mind is the Alabama Jam, some big agile motherfucker should be using that. 

Shingo's pumping bomber

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Moe's post is blank for me but for some reason the Orton gif in his sig still works perfectly

This feels like an almost perfect allegory for what it feels like to watch Orton wrestle a match--perfectly worked, but still "blank."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

God bless Charlie Murphy

I'm definitely right. I said evil wasn't necessarily a bad thing. So your evil pun based memes can still be good. Also, yes, may Crom bless Charlie Murphy as he does Dean.

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

It did not "have to" be his finish just because it got over. Why does every over move have to be a finisher? Even if it was mandated that he finish with that, he easily could have done the Rock Bottom as the death move every time to set up the cocky People's Elbow to finish and get a pin. It absolutely did not have to become everyone selling a weak elbow drop as if they'd been powerbombed. Especially when the setup was so often just a simple scoop slam or even less - usually not the kind of move that would make people lay in the ring for 45 seconds waiting around to be elbow dropped.

It sucked and it inspired the Worm, which sucked even more and is somehow still a thing in WWE.

Didn't the Rock Bottom almost always set up the People's Elbow though? To that end you could just view it as adding insult to injury. Failing that, you could draw the comparison to the heart punch.

And c'mon, how could you not get goosebumps when he'd set it up and the hard-cam would zoom out and everyone's camera flash would start going off when he'd kick the opponents arm?

The People's Elbow is a great move, but it should never get a 3-count on its own. If the opponent had taken a bunch of chair shots with the ref's back turned, then Rocky does this ridiculously arrogant elbow; thats perfect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Get them in UWF-i! Oh, wait...

They could work the Combate de Las Américas show With Alberto Del Rio vs Tito Ortiz. From now on I should call Alberto's promotion Orgullo (PRIDE in Spanish).

He was going off and he said to me, "Enzo you’re not going to change the fucking world." When he said that I stood up and shot my hair to the point that it fell and I said, "Don’t you get it? I am trying to change the fucking world." Triple H stood up and said, "There’s no getting through to you." Boiling hot mad and he walked me out of that room.

Still hilarious. 

• Haha 1