DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My lady friend's birthday. She told me How Its Gonna Be

You are so going to need something else to get you through this

(And since that is literally the only song I know by them, I'm done with this game)

• Like 3

How many ears has Jean-Luc Picard got?

Three. A left ear, a right ear, and a final front ear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Without looking - I think, THINK, the WWE announced it shortly after New Japan/ROH announced the MSG Mania show

Plus there was extra motivation since I believe those are the last "live" shows of the year (since they are taping TV due to Christmas)

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I get what you’re saying but people started popping for it more and more it was so obnoxious, plus he started using it on his ascent to the Deadly Games turn, so the fact it got over so much it naturally had to be his finish

It did not "have to" be his finish just because it got over. Why does every over move have to be a finisher? Even if it was mandated that he finish with that, he easily could have done the Rock Bottom as the death move every time to set up the cocky People's Elbow to finish and get a pin. It absolutely did not have to become everyone selling a weak elbow drop as if they'd been powerbombed. Especially when the setup was so often just a simple scoop slam or even less - usually not the kind of move that would make people lay in the ring for 45 seconds waiting around to be elbow dropped.

It sucked and it inspired the Worm, which sucked even more and is somehow still a thing in WWE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

3 days later is when AAA runs their show at MSG, what a coincidence!!!

If it only draws 300, is it really a show?

• Sad 1

My favorite thing about the People's Elbow is how The Rock did it in the middle of the 1998 Royal Rumble to zero notice or pop.

I'm glad he kept at it and got it over, though, since it annoys all the people like @MORELOCK who can't suspend disbelief and recognize that a scoop slam isn't just a regular scoop slam with regular scoop slam impact when a fired-up top-tier pro wrestler like The Rock does it to set up for the move.

(Though I'm fine with arguments that the spinebuster was a better set-up move for the People's Elbow.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly

8 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Yeah, I don't really recognize the argument that I can't suspend my disbelief for a show that is constantly pointing to itself and saying "look how fake and stupid this is." The issue isn't on my end.

Yeah, there's quite a lot you don't recognize, so I'm not surprised. Needless to say, I stand by my statement. 

*EDIT* That reads harshly, I didn't mean it that way, poor attempt at prodding you, sorry. But I do stand by my statement, which is ultimately that a pro wrestler who is presented as elite and a master of a move definitely makes their use of said move, no matter how ridiculous, something that should be taken IMO as part of the logic of pro wrestling.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If it only draws 300, is it really a show?

See my post in the Lucha General Discussion thread. It feels like this show has a very low chance of actually happening.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

34 minutes ago, Ryan said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

So bad, it comes right back around to being good (at being bad, of course).

Top-tier Dad joke, six stars. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, there's quite a lot you don't recognize, so I'm not surprised. Needless to say, I stand by my statement. 

Having to redirect people from talking about me to talking about wrestling is getting tiresome. It is an enormous bummer to me that you don't appreciate my posts - I encourage you to exercise your ignore function rather than openly troll.

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

Having to redirect people from talking about me to talking about wrestling is getting tiresome. It is an enormous bummer to me that you don't appreciate my posts - I encourage you to exercise your ignore function rather than openly troll.

Yeah, I just apologized up above. It reads really meanly, but it read differently in my head. Apologies. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, what the fuck was that drive-by dad joking shit??!?! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

I'm still booing over here and no it never gets so bad it becomes funny. It's just bad. Memes are evil. Bad puns are evil. Bad puns used in memes are evil. Bad puns that are dad jokes used in memes is the end of society and RIPPA's primary source of entertainment in the future.

• Like 1