DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Villian? Not Villain? Some sort of a play on William, or just a spelling mistake?

Edited by AxB
No reason
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

They ruined Taker's proposal to Sting. Their marriage would have cemented the darkness for years to come and ushered in a bold new era of Sports Entertainment stage prop magic.

Nah. It would have been ignored and blown off like so many other stips. 

562164-cena-bella.jpg?itok=bpJezsE6

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The "What was the final straw to get you to stop watching WWE" thread got me thinking about all the years of WWE I missed. I won't go into everything here but I stopped watching from, roughly, 2005 to 2010. I've been watching old PPVs to catch up and just started Armegeddon 2006. Is Kane/MVP the best WWE-produced Inferno match? I think there's only 5 to choose from so not a deep pool of candidates. The first Taker/Kane match was not good. Each man was visibly nervous and was doing their best to figure out how to work in that environment. The second match was an improvment but suffered from being a TV match in the late 90s/early 2000s. HHH/Kane had the same issue, plus the outcome to that was never in any doubt. Hunter had the best selling of the stip up to that point though. Kane and Taker couldn't very well sell fear of the flames without breaking from their characters.

My only issue with the MVP/Kane match (and this could be because I haven't been watching Raw or Smackdown between the PPVs) is that the stip seems kinda rushed. It looks like they had a few TV matches that MVP won under screwy circumstances and so Teddy Long came out and did his Holla Holla™ to make an Inferno match. Well, that and JBL's announcing was too over-the-top. If he had toned it down just a notch, I think he and Cole would have gotten over just how dangerous the match was. Instead, he made it damn near impossible to listen to. 

I haven't gone back to watch the Kane/Bray match and, to be frank, I don't intend to. It wasn't any good the first time. 

• Like 1

I just saw that incident from Mexico where that dude tossed a goddamned cinder block on a guys head and it's probably the single most fucked up thing I've ever seen in pro wrestling. That made the New Jack/MassTransit look like Disney in comparison, how the hell is that guy not in jail?

wasn’t the second ever Inferno match mainly used as a plot device to further the Undertaker’s “feud” with Vince at the time? All I remember about that match is Undertaker holding a burning teddy bear.

That’s also the first RAW that I can remember watching as a kid, as fate would have it.

• Like 1

Who's the best/most well-liked wrestler with a particularly shitty move in his repertoire?

This post inspired by my answer, Pete Dunne. His finisher is so contrived and indyrific and doesn't really fit with the rest of his gimmick. Good name though. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Who's the best/most well-liked wrestler with a particularly shitty move in his repertoire?

This post inspired by my answer, Pete Dunne. His finisher is so contrived and indyrific and doesn't really fit with the rest of his gimmick. Good name though. 

William Regal? At least in the WWF/WWE. He had so many wrestling move finishers that sucked. The ugly neck breaker, and the ugly looking knee. His best finisher wasn’t even a traditional “wrestling” move. It was the brass knuckles AKA Power of The Punch. The Regal Stretch was cool too, but he played lower mid-card heel so much in the WWF/E that I think they told him to get something that he can use on people above him, so he rarely used it there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Punk.  The gts and then the flying elbow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I hesitate to open up a can of worms, but what is Sasha Banks' status?  Being paid to sit at home until her contract runs out?

The latter has been the assumption. Right now though she is in Japan. Look in the picture thread.

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I fucking love Daniel Bryan, he's in my top five or three wrestlers ever. However, the Diving Headbutt is one I wish Bryan and wrestling would do away with. Look at what it did to Harley Race, the Dynamite Kid, Chris Benoit and Daniel Bryan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I was gonna stop watching this, since it was basically just WWE stars fantasy booking, but I'm glad I hung in there to hear from Sting himself. Bummed they didn't get Taker's input, though. 

WWE Reimagined would be 1,000,000 times better as a mode in the next 2K game. Plus, it shouldn't be hard to include new DLC packs with additional stories. And include branching paths in that shit so you're not penalized if you lose or are stuck with replaying that mission.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Casey said:

wasn’t the second ever Inferno match mainly used as a plot device to further the Undertaker’s “feud” with Vince at the time? All I remember about that match is Undertaker holding a burning teddy bear.

That’s also the first RAW that I can remember watching as a kid, as fate would have it.

There's that issue too. It wasn't much of a match by any set of standards. 

On 7/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, mattdangerously said:

If anything, the Miz owes the Rock a thank you for leaving an opening in the Marine movies, because Rocky was well on his way to a career of straight-to-DVD B-movies before being cast in Fast Five. None of his movies were lighting up the box office. He owes that franchise as much as they owe him.

I don't know- the fact that Rock had gotten the "Good with kids" tag in some of his later movies means that Rocky may not have become the mega-star he did, but he probably wouldn't go to straight-to-DVD B-movies. More likely, without the Fast and the Furious movies, Rock has John Cena's career right now of "yeah, he can be in Bumblebee, but he'll be in about four family movies or supporting roles in comedies in between." 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I dread WWE's near-future experiments with hologram/video game/CGI/deepfake/prosthetic tech to "re"-create matches between workers that never happened. Aided and abetted by consumer nerds who will pay for anything to avoid using their own imagination, the Uncanny Valley creepiness of all this is certain, as is the inevitable rewriting of history. Again. look at the evolution of Marvel's What If comic: interesting dramatic explorations, becoming more the basis for retroactive continuity overwrites into "if you like this, we'll make it into a series for you to buy".

- RAF

Well, at least one plus of the people who'd do the What If- style WWE is that most fans wouldn't be the historians who'd want to see it, but more people who'd want things that they can't have contractually. Fans have been built around dream matches, and the only dream matches in this climate are ones where the two performers are under contract to different promotions.

MAYBE we get a "what if Bruno fought Cena?" match...possibly they run with "Buddy Rogers vs. Ric Flair, both in their primes"...but more fans of the fans would want "what if Omega fought Rollins?"

59 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

I don't know- the fact that Rock had gotten the "Good with kids" tag in some of his later movies means that Rocky may not have become the mega-star he did, but he probably wouldn't go to straight-to-DVD B-movies. More likely, without the Fast and the Furious movies, Rock has John Cena's career right now of "yeah, he can be in Bumblebee, but he'll be in about four family movies or supporting roles in comedies in between." 

Thing is, Rock has both genres covered. Hobbs & Shaw is clearly intended to have 2-3 sequels and the Jumanji franchise brings in the families. 

The Rock was always going to become a huge star. His charisma and work ethic wasn't going to be contained by straight-to-DVD films or first-run YouTube streaming. He wouldn't have been the world's biggest movie star maybe, but his career still would have been one any wrestler would want.

• Like 4