DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Their video makes me wonder how we never got a wrestling match brawl at a fairground. I basically just want to see a wrestler hit another wrestler with an elephant ear.

EDIT: Now I wonder if elephant ears are just something around here or if everyone has them at fairs they go to?

Edited by Craig H

Enzo seemingly wanting to disassociate himself from pro wrestling - but using a social media moniker just barely different enough from the name WWE gave him as to not invite a lawsuit - is probably the most pro wrestling thing I will see today.  I guess he wants to keep[ the "brand identity"?

Hopefully this spat with Janela can be settled in the ring.... in a tiny indy that Metlzer doesn't cover and which doesn't tape.

What was the reasoning behind ADR competing in MMA wearing a mask and using his gimmick name?  Lucha tradition?  Marketing?  Stupidity?  He's had about 15 MMA fights in his career.  Did he wear the mask and get billed as "Dos Caras" in all of them?

Were any of his opponents any good?  I just looked at his fight record, but I don't follow MMA,  so I'm not sure what to make of it.  Only opponent I recognized by name was Cro Cop.  Don't even follow MMA enough to know if the promotions are big-time or not.  

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

Enzo seemingly wanting to disassociate himself from pro wrestling - but using a social media moniker just barely different enough from the name WWE gave him as to not invite a lawsuit - is probably the most pro wrestling thing I will see today.  I guess he wants to keep[ the "brand identity"?

He's not disassociating himself from wrestling. nZo is just the name he uses for indies.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

As awful as this fight is, I do admire that they dressed like someone who would go to a Blink 182 concert in their prime.  With a fanny pack as well

Fanny packs are actually an acceptable fashion accessory again. 

...And thank goodness. Those helpful things should’ve never been shunned by society.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Their video makes me wonder how we never got a wrestling match brawl at a fairground. I basically just want to see a wrestler hit another wrestler with an elephant ear.

EDIT: Now I wonder if elephant ears are just something around here or if everyone has them at fairs they go to?

You should really watch more DDT.

From Dramatic DDT, the premiere English Language DDT site:

DDT “HANAYASHIKI WRESTLING ON THE STREETS”, 27/03/2013
Tokyo Asakusa Hanayashiki
379 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

4 Way Mixed Tag Team Match: Sanshiro Takagi & Yuzuki Aikawa defeated Danshoku Dino & Yoshiko, Kota Ibushi & Jaiko Ishikawa and Michael Nakazawa & Miho Wakizawa when Aikawa submitted Nakazawa with a Hooters Attack (53:15).

DDT held its first ever 4 Way Mixed Tag Match in a street to celebrate the wrestling career of Yuzuki Aikawa. The location was the same theme park that has held DDT’s previous “Anywhere Pro Wrestling” events and many of its rides and attractions played a part in the match once again. The night belonged to 222cm Big Guns, aka the team of Sanshiro Takagi & Yuzuki Aikawa. They used Michael Nakazawa & Miho Wakizawa as target practice at a fairground shooting range and rode mechanical pandas while Kota Ibushi, Jaiko Ishikawa, Danshoku Dino and Yoshiko all fought each other in between rollercoaster rides. The four teams then fought inside a merry-go-round where Yoshiko thought it would be the perfect time to hold hands with Ibushi. As the wrestlers dragged each other into a nearby pond, Nakazawa disappeared. He came back dressed in Aikawa’s Sentai Power Ranger Blue costume, which was very revealing from behind. He attacked Takagi and kicked him into a castle of chairs that just so happened to have been set up that day. Back in the pond, Ibushi did a Cancun Tornado from the bridge onto everyone below in the water. Ishikawa dealt a great deal of damage on Aikawa, giving her the Thunder Fire into the pond.

Those still fighting moved back to the stage where Nakazawa got the upper hand and gave everyone the Ultimate Venom Arm. But when he thought he was the last one standing, a voice suddenly yelled “Yuzupon!” It was Aikawa to the rescue, dressed in a skimpy Stars & Stripes bathing suit. She and Takagi overpowered Nakazawa and had an emotional moment. Takagi asked Aikawa if she thought pro wrestling was fun. Aikawa cried and said it was. They then struck Nakazawa over his back with a Double Yuzupon Kick and Aikawa finished him off with her bouncy cleavage to win the match.

Afterwards Takagi and Aikawa repeated their exchange about pro wrestling being fun. Aikawa promoted Stardom’s big show in Sumo Hallon 29th April that will include her retirement match. She only wrestled for two and a half years but she will have a lot of memories when she is done. She also hopes that with a month left to go, she does not get injured before she retires. Everyone then got together as group and screamed “We Are Stardom!”

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

It’s funny, because Enzo claimed in the original Janela tweet thread that he wasn’t a wrestler.

Someone should alert Enzo and Cass to this so they don't take any indy dates together or so Cass doesn't talk about them teaming together...

Or is this Enzo's dumb as fuck way to say he's "real as fuck" and "ain't a wrestler, bro" because I could see him doing that.

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

You should really watch more DDT

I probably should. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Fanny packs are actually an acceptable fashion accessory again. 

...And thank goodness. Those helpful things should’ve never been shunned by society.

Except in the UK all the hip young kids are wearing them across their chest like some... fanny bandolier?

16 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

You should really watch more DDT.

After reading that I'd rather watch and talk about DDT instead of this horseshit with nZo.  I'm going to subscribe to the service in a couple days so I may need some recommendations for older and recent stuff.

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

After reading that I'd rather watch and talk about DDT instead of this horseshit with nZo.  I'm going to subscribe to the service in a couple days so I may need some recommendations for older and recent stuff.

I tend to watch DDT for more out there fucked up shit than good matches, so my recommendations are a little weird, but you know me and probably expect that.

Basically, if you search Super Uchuu Power or Poison Sawada JULIE (you might have to google it and copy and paste their Japanese names the user interface for DDT Universe kind of sucks and they've actually managed to make it worse since they started) you'll get some good old stuff. 

Also if you go to the special feature section it categorizes stuff.  Street Wrestling Special is a lot of their outdoor weird shows but it isn't complete.  Others are on the service just not categorized in that section.  Like I said, user interface SUUUUCKS.  I don't think the apartment pro wrestling is in that one but it's on the service.  Don't watch any of this at work, I'm pretty sure I saw Michael Nakazawa's butthole once.

Kota and Kenny have sections, and there's a foreigner section as well. 

If you click on ROJO STREET WRESTLING on the left hand side you get way more of the wacky outdoor stuff than is available in that pack I mentioned above.

If you end up liking Basara don't get too attached because it's becoming it's own promotion and leaving in 2020.  But a lot of it sucks so you probably won't.

Tokyo Joshi Pro shows pretty much go from absolute dogshit in the undercard to great matches higher up.  

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Agree 100%. It seems like they ended their silver membership option a while back which was so great. For ~$5 a month you get the archive but not live streams or ticket sales.

Meiko's run at the top last year was very fun too as is everything Dieno and MAO do (the latter was/is in a good rising tag team with Mike Bailey). I prefer the goofy shit too but have fallen off watching a lot of fringe wrestling between having a very stressful year at work and diving head first into the deepend with D&D. I would like to get back into casually watching DDT again, particularly the fun stuff like Maki Ito. 

They have something for every one that is into Japanese wrestling. Their super serious stuff at the top is pretty good though a bit spot heavy for me sometimes and they lost a huge part of the reason why I watch in Shuji Ishikawa when he went full time with AJPW but their tournaments are generally awesome and Takeshita has some great matches despite bad habits. I prefer the zany Sasadango slide shows and hardcore battle royales and Dieno's act. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

She wrestles too much like a normy for my preference but she's adorable all the same. 

10 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I rarely watch Tokyo Joshi Pro because I was pretty much just in it for Maho Kurone.

Hey guys it’s getting cyber Hollywood in here.

You don’t see me writing about how I won’t watch Tuesday Arena Mexico shows if Yaz isn’t one of the ring girls.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Funnel Cake is the name of them down here. And yea every fair has those,blooming onions,candied apples and some kind of meat on a stick.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Pretty sure the spinebuster was the set-up for the People's Elbow more often than not.

Either that or the Rock Bottom which is why I never had a problem buying it. Hogan did a bodyslam as a set up for the Leg drop. Unless you're buying into it being a 300 lb Leg drop how is the People's Elbow anyless believable if its followed up by either of those. Plus for Hulk that Ax Bomber looked so much more credible and would've took alot less toll on him but maybe he thought Slamming his opponent especially the bigger ones made him look stronger than just a running Lariot that he could just hit from nowhere 

2 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

Funnel Cake is the name of them down here. And yea every fair has those,blooming onions,candied apples and some kind of meat on a stick.

No, funnel cake is different. It's close though. Funnel cake gets it's name because the batter goes through a funnel and gets drizzled into the oil in a swirly whirly way. Elephant ears are one large (about the size of two paper plates), thicker mass of fried dough.

Same concept though.

There really needs to be a fair food fight in wrestling somewhere with someone being pelted by big lumps of fried cheese curds or getting jabbed in the head by some kind of fried meat on stick. Basically, by the end of the match, someone needs to be covered in as much grease or oil as Michael Nakazawa.

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hey guys it’s getting cyber Hollywood in here.

You don’t see me writing about how I won’t watch Tuesday Arena Mexico shows if Yaz isn’t one of the ring girls.

I liked her gimmick, I wasn't perving out over shit.  I'm a horror fan.  Relax.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Either that or the Rock Bottom which is why I never had a problem buying it. Hogan did a bodyslam as a set up for the Leg drop. Unless you're buying into it being a 300 lb Leg drop how is the People's Elbow anyless believable if its followed up by either of those. Plus for Hulk that Ax Bomber looked so much more credible and would've took alot less toll on him but maybe he thought Slamming his opponent especially the bigger ones made him look stronger than just a running Lariot that he could just hit from nowhere 

It was mostly the spinebuster though. It would go spinebuster, pop up, kick in the right arm so the right arm was next to the body, throw the elbow pad into the crowd, and then People's Elbow. Speaking of, why did the Rock always kick in the right arm?

And for Hogan, wasn't the big boot the main setup for the big leg drop of doom? Sometimes he would go to the bodyslam to setup the leg drop, but I always took that as a predictor for someone kicking out of the leg drop.