DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Up here it's just "fried dough," and can be found at both fairs and at a ton of places at the beach. Cinnamon sugar topping is *chef's kiss*

Searching "elephant ears" brings up some other type of pastry, I've had that too but it's not very similar. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

In southern/central Illinois we got funnel cakes, I've not heard of an elephant ear til this thread. And I saw fair wrestling once. A masked tag team came out to "Aces High" and a drunk Brian Lee (under his DOA name, whatever that was) headlined. 

'Masked' came out as 'naked' on the phone, I shoulda left it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Up here it's just "fried dough," and can be found at both fairs and at a ton of places at the beach. Cinnamon sugar topping is *chef's kiss*

Around here it's "doughboys", and they're found in similar places (with the same thoughts there.) 

Normally it'd be something to worry about- but luckily they're so widespread even outside fairs I can probably get some now after all of this. 

I'm sure some of you Philly area people are familiar with Zern's Flea Market. In late 2006 I was passing through the area and hung out with a friend who took me there. I saw several posters advertising a wrestling card later that night. Steve Corino and Glen Osborne were the only names I recall offhand. I'm sure the ring was in a tent-like structure if not outside.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:23 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Does someone step into the Alabama Doink role now? Tom Brandi could work a triple shot I guess 

Hot scoop on the hotline is that Alabama Doink's death caused a power vacuum to form in the United States Of Doinks with Mississippi Doink, Middle Tennessee Doink, Georgia Doink, and Florida Panhandle Doink all trying to annex Alabama for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Watching MLW for the first time (Kings of the Colosseum from this week) and goodness.. Pillman Jr's mullet is amazing in motion. I know the affiliations would complicate this, but Pillman Jr and Ultimo Guerrero need to battle to establish mullet supremacy

Also, I suspect Salina De La Renta is gonna be a lot more fun now, than if somebody in the WWE goes the sorta uninspired route (which would involve a gimmick similar to a certain New York Congresswoman).

And MJF was pretty tremendous after what I had heard about him.

Edit: Holy lord.. Jacob Fatu's moonsault. He's going to be a big deal soon for a few obvious reasons.

Edited by Cobra Commander

With Corny around, an AOC gimmick isn't completely out of the question- he remembers how effective Sunny was as a HIllary Clinton expy in SMW.

Contra Unit would be one of those factions that could credibly jump Kenny and the Bucks in AEW, and a lot of the AEW fans know about MLW right now and are liking it.  They'd be recognized immediately.

If Court was selling, if I was the Khan's I'd be buying.  MLW would work great as a developmental for AEW with TV, and they got enough talent that would fill out the roster immediately.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

But then Khan would have to deal with, Court Bauer. Who has given people the Paul Heyman vibe of the untrustworthy businessman in the current wrestling industry. 

One things for sure, AEW has the players(Daniels, Kazarian) to run a developmental. They just need to set up shop at one. I think the ideal company would be PWG, for their tape library, and the connection a lot of the current figureheads in AEW have with Super Dragon’s indie. But I don’t know who actually owns the tapes, and if Super Dragon gives a shit about selling.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

The last thing AEW needs is more PWG influence.   I think most of the bad in AEW is coming from the Bucks in terms of ideas- and PWG would encourage more of it.  

Court wouldn't be writing the checks in this scenario- so in terms of being untrustworthy, that impact should be minimized.   The current talent (to add to the roster which is a bit lacking on the male side) and regular TV slot (to help build lowcard talent) are what's more important.   Also, you'd gain some TV footage, which potentially could be used once a network is launched, which is something they're going to need long term in order to compete as a major league. 

Court using a factional system in MLW is great for bringing in unit challenges to the Bucks and Kenny, which they can cycle through as well.  I do worry about what might happen if a unit got themselves more over than the Bucks and how they would handle it.

They are still an infant in the this industry. So they should take their time before putting stock into a territory. But they should keep it in mind considering they might want more footage other than their own for the future of their business.

So looking over at Cagematch, and seeing when Chad Gable started on main roster. He started in August of 2016. Gable hasn’t appeared in quite a bit. His last “major” match was the Gallagher match on 205 Live that happened a month ago, and I believe he hasn’t been on any injury list, so Gable could be out of the company by next month. We could be seeing him cut loose soon.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Speaking of Gable, anyone know what the deal with Jason Jordan?  WWE initially claimed his injury would keep him out nine months.  His wife claimed it wasn't that serious.  That was almost eighteen months ago.

I think he’s on creative now?

25 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Speaking of Gable, anyone know what the deal with Jason Jordan?  WWE initially claimed his injury would keep him out nine months.  His wife claimed it wasn't that serious.  That was almost eighteen months ago.

There have been reports of him either working as an agent or in creative. It would appear he will not be wrestling again, at least not for WWE.

Along with what everyone said - Jordan has still been dealing with nerve damage that is causing him problems gripping with one of his hands (because he frequently loses feeling in it)

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They are still an infant in the this industry. So they should take their time before putting stock into a territory. But they should keep it in mind considering they might want more footage other than their own for the future of their business.

So looking over at Cagematch, and seeing when Chad Gable started on main roster. He started in August of 2016. Gable hasn’t appeared in quite a bit. His last “major” match was the Gallagher match on 205 Live that happened a month ago, and I believe he hasn’t been on any injury list, so Gable could be out of the company by next month. We could be seeing him cut loose soon.

I’m sure the WWE is going to start cutting people loose soon instead of offering them half million dollar, long term contracts.

15 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m sure the WWE is going to start cutting people loose soon instead of offering them half million dollar, long term contracts.

They got enough money to do it. I’m sure they gotta now offer the top stars 1 million a year. Maybe even more if they feel they are worth more to the company.

But now that I think about it, how many people are actually worth more to the company than an average main eventer? I mean it can be argued that Brock Lesnar should be considered the top guy that deserves the most money because of how much he moves the needle(regardless of how little it moves)? 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Jason Jordan had a ton of potential so it's a real bummer if his career is over. Gable I like a lot, but it seems like it's one step forward, two back with him. I haven't watched main roster WWE in a minute now, but for example, what the hell happened to his team with Bobby Roode? I think he's definitely a guy that could be slotted into a top role on NXT or 205, but if he ever leaves, I think he'd do well to follow the Juice plan and head to NJPW.

PS: Guess I'm the only pervert who calls it pizza fritta

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Jason Jordan had a ton of potential so it's a real bummer if his career is over. Gable I like a lot, but it seems like it's one step forward, two back with him. I haven't watched main roster WWE in a minute now, but for example, what the hell happened to his team with Bobby Roode? I think he's definitely a guy that could be slotted into a top role on NXT or 205, but if he ever leaves, I think he'd do well to follow the Juice plan and head to NJPW.

They got split after the last Shakeup

And then right before the Wild Card was introduced - Gable would be seen in the background of Smackdown shows taking notes so it looked like they were about to start something with him but the WC pretty much blew up screen time for the middle down

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alstein said:

With Corny around, an AOC gimmick isn't completely out of the question- he remembers how effective Sunny was as a HIllary Clinton expy in SMW.

but out of the people in the WWE with creative influence, Heyman is the overwhelming favorite to actually pick up on the possible parallel and have less of a blind spot about how that could get over as a heel without making it too cheap. Some of your WWE creative types might have strongly held political opinions while still being in a bubble about who's who because they're so busy that they never really watch the news.

Anyways, I suspect there's a portion of wrestling audiences that have quite a few men who wouldn't need much to hate a woman who was obviously more successful than them and not shy about making it obvious how she's the one in control. Now, some people pay for that experience, but that's out of the price range of others.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They got split after the last Shakeup

And then right before the Wild Card was introduced - Gable would be seen in the background of Smackdown shows taking notes so it looked like they were about to start something with him but the WC pretty much blew up screen time for the middle down

Good look! Now that you mention it, I do remember someone putting a picture of that up somewhere and goofing on his new haircut at the time. 

We were talking about move downgrading in the AEW thread, and how Superkicks used to be a kill move, and now they're like a clothesline, part of a finishing sequence but nobody expects it to be the actual finish. And we've seen that with the DDT and the various Ace Crusher ripoff moves and so on. But can anyone think of a move that's been upgraded from being just a move, to being a lethal finish? Because the last one I remember is.... The Superkick. When Shawn was still doing a Belly to Back Suplex as a finisher, he'd use the Superkick as a nearfall or transition move, even though it looked better than his finish.