DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

More like an attempted wrestler

Attempted DJ, attempted wrestler, attempted rapper, attempted Instagram personality.

Enzo has more failed attempts than Pedro Cerrano trying to hit a curve ball.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Him and Big Cass are doing a signing at Frank and Son, a place that usually has good wrestling guests (they did the first Taker signing in the US, I think, plus one of Flair's, Foley when it was rare to see him at stuff, etc)

Edited by Tromatagon

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No, funnel cake is different. It's close though. Funnel cake gets it's name because the batter goes through a funnel and gets drizzled into the oil in a swirly whirly way. Elephant ears are one large (about the size of two paper plates), thicker mass of fried dough.

Same concept though.

There really needs to be a fair food fight in wrestling somewhere with someone being pelted by big lumps of fried cheese curds or getting jabbed in the head by some kind of fried meat on stick. Basically, by the end of the match, someone needs to be covered in as much grease or oil as Michael Nakazawa.

At the 2012 Powerslam Productions Liberty Heritage Days outdoor free show ,which had Viscera in the main event,while brawling outside the ring hometown guy Krimsynn Matthews was handed a heavily sugared elephant ear and smacked The Prince of Pain Joe Kane in the face with it. WHen I got more time I will see if the match is online.

EDIT Found it,was 2013 and the show's name was Slamfest.

Edited by bobholly138
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We need a streaming service for random wrestling shows from the southern United States. I wish I'd seen half of the fairground show/show in front of a random business stuff @bobholly138 always talks about in these threads. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

What sucks is they appear to have stopped doing that stuff at the California fairs.  You used to be able to get some lucha in at some of them.  Now it appears that fair acts are a package deal - like if you do the LA County fair you're gonna do the Ventura county fair and then the others in succession.  Same with the rides and food.  So if you go to one you're not missing anything from the others, but they all used to have a distinct feel to them.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

We need a streaming service for random wrestling shows from the southern United States. I wish I'd seen half of the fairground show/show in front of a random business stuff @bobholly138 always talks about in these threads. 

All I can say right now is two of the bigger camera guys in MS are working on a free ROKU channel which will have 10+ years worth of footage.

• Like 9

Just now, Tromatagon said:

What sucks is they appear to have stopped doing that stuff at the California fairs.  You used to be able to get some lucha in at some of them.

They tried having a wrestling show,and brought in Ted Dibiase Sr,at the fair 5 years ago. But it cost extra to goto the show,I think they wanted 10 bucks a person. No one was placed at the entrance to make sure people had tickets. And the promoter got screwed by the church that was suppose to pay for Ted Sr.

9 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I liked her gimmick, I wasn't perving out over shit.  I'm a horror fan.  Relax.

tenor.gif?itemid=10616147

Awes.

And Maki Itoh is one of the most charismatic wrestlers on the planet.

BigheartedFondCamel-size_restricted.gif

If you disagree.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

No, funnel cake is different. It's close though. Funnel cake gets it's name because the batter goes through a funnel and gets drizzled into the oil in a swirly whirly way. Elephant ears are one large (about the size of two paper plates), thicker mass of fried dough.

Every place that I heard or seen elephant ears was in Italian based festivals/fairs/etc.  Like the one where I was born.  

Just now, Tromatagon said:

I live in SoCal that is like 6 hours away from me without traffic.

Oh shit yeah, I forgot, you're in LA, not San Francisco or Oakland. 

All this talk has me wanting an elephant ear. I should go to the WA State Fair and get an earthquake burger and an elephant ear. No pro wrestling at this fair, I don't think, though.

Last time I saw random wrestling at an outdoor event, there was a fairly big taco truck fair in Seattle a couple years back and some wrestling students came out and did a really rudimentary lucha match (like, they did the exact same sequence of trips and rope-running leading to a simple in-ring double-splash on the rudos in opposing corners). It was cool to watch clear beginners try to put a match like that together, and the kids didn't mind any of the repetition of spots at all. 

We barely get any cool shit like that in Seattle, though. I blame Amazon. 

After seeing an ad for the “wrestling arcade” book on Twitter that I had never see the One Man Gang / Akeem transformation angle.  How have I reached 39 and NEVER seen this.  

I’m kinda glad I never saw it when I was a kid as it would probably have scared me.

• Haha 2

H

24 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

All this talk has me wanting an elephant ear. I should go to the WA State Fair and get an earthquake burger and an elephant ear.

I dunno man I saw that episode of Prime Time Wrestling

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

What was the reasoning behind ADR competing in MMA wearing a mask and using his gimmick name?  Lucha tradition?  Marketing?  Stupidity?  He's had about 15 MMA fights in his career.  Did he wear the mask and get billed as "Dos Caras" in all of them?  

The easiest answer to all this is you can get away with shit in Japan because they don't have a commission for MMA.  So when he fought there, he was Dos Caras Jr. When he had those fights later on in Mexico, I'm pretty sure he did those fights without a mask. Mexico despite never having a bustling MMA scene really at least has higher standards than Japan. Pretty sure that's why Sexy Star competed in boxing and MMA w/o her mask as Dulce Garcia.

Were any of his opponents any good?  I just looked at his fight record, but I don't follow MMA,  so I'm not sure what to make of it.  Only opponent I recognized by name was Cro Cop.  Don't even follow MMA enough to know if the promotions are big-time or not.

We were just talking about that in the MMA forum. I'm pretty sure the guys he beat in Mexico where people there on vacation. There is no video proof or pictures he actually had those fights. Besides Cro Cop, the only names I recognize are Kaz Nakamura, Hiroyuki Ito, Brad Kohler (who I'm pretty sure was well well past his prime by 2003), and Kengo Watanabe who he went 1-1 with. In terms of strength of schedule, it's Cro Cop, Nakamura, a long long drop, old ass Brad Kohler, Kengo Watanabe, and Ito. You can probably take Ito out of that list because I think he was more a pro wrestler than a MMA fighter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Elephant Ears are very common across at least the northern Midwest. Funnel Cakes are rarer, but not unheard of. I've never seen a fair that had frybread, and I've never heard of sopapillas

• Like 1

The Peruvian restaurant we go to has sopapillas and they're awesome. They're square or round puffed pastries that are coated in butter and cinnamon sugar. They're kinda like beignets.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve seen funnel cake stands down here in Miami, but the Elephant Ear stands are always more crowded than the funnel cake stand at a Dade County Youth Fair.

If you go to the Dade County Youth Fair and have anything other than those gigantic ass cinnamon rolls, you don't deserve to breathe. 

The only thing worth waiting in line for is the grilled corn on the cob that's slathered in butter.  Like, enough butter to make sure you fly off the Discotheque when you ride it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If you go to the Dade County Youth Fair and have anything other than those gigantic ass cinnamon rolls, you don't deserve to breathe. 

The only thing worth waiting in line for is the grilled corn on the cob that's slathered in butter.  Like, enough butter to make sure you fly off the Discotheque when you ride it. 

I like to tell myself that some of that butter is a healthy vegetable inside there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1