DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, the story I read said that the GoFundMe was $5k short of its goal, and Moxley donated what they needed to complete it. The message he left with the donation was just a smiley face.

Apparently whoever trained Mox was close to Wright or something?

Folks noticed that Tony Khan matched Moxley's donation also

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

My favourite from the same press conference:

The best part of that quote is that Eno still gets really defensive about working with Coldplay to this day. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and his overhead belly to belly throw, because it sure as fuck wasn't a suplex

I hated the Rock's matches. His execution was just so goddamn ugly; it completely took me out of the matches.

Did he ever properly hit that floatover DDT he tried to do in his first two WWF years? It's a wonder that he never killed anyone with that move.

3 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Did he ever properly hit that floatover DDT he tried to do in his first two WWF years? It's a wonder that he never killed anyone with that move.

Doubtful

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I honestly never cared for The Rock's in ring work. To me, his style has set the tone for every WWF/E made act over the last 20 years in how they need to over exaggerate every single move and forget the psychology of the match when it comes to the finish. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I like the accusation that forgetting the psychology of a match for the finish is a WWE trope, and not a wrestling in general trope. 

Sshhhhh. don't ruin the narrative!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I like the accusation that forgetting the psychology of a match for the finish is a WWE trope, and not a wrestling in general trope. 

The Rock was no Bret, Perfect, HBK, or Austin. He was an over the top personality that you really didn't care much for when it came to actually working. We loved The Rock because of his promos and his ability to captivate the crowd and entertain. But I would say that Hogan in his prime was a better worker. Especially when  you put in Gaijin Hogan. 

Hell... The Rock was Boogie Woogie 1998 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The Rock was no Bret, Perfect, HBK, or Austin. He was an over the top personality that you really didn't care much for when it came to actually working. We loved The Rock because of his promos and his ability to captivate the crowd and entertain. But I would say that Hogan in his prime was a better worker. Especially when  you put in Gaijin Hogan. 

Hell... The Rock was Boogie Woogie 1998 ?

He should have worked a little in Japan to win over the hearts of the dvdr faithful.

• Thanks 1

He definitely had sloppy execution.

But he still had truly excellent matches with Triple H, Austin, Jericho, HWSNBN, and others. He was a fantastic athlete, had a really good timing, and had that otherworldly presence.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zartan said:

He should have worked a little in Japan to win over the hearts of the dvdr faithful.

Current hivemind trends toward needing to work in the PWG area.

I like The Rock's work. He has G.O.A.T. tier facial and bodily expressions and the over-exaggerated selling works for him. 

I also thought that his Sharpshooter was perfectly okay and that it was a weird obsession that some people had with his application of that move. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He definitely had sloppy execution.

But he still had truly excellent matches with Triple H, Austin, Jericho, HWSNBN, and others. He was a fantastic athlete, had a really good timing, and had that otherworldly presence.

When we will be able to talk about Billy Gunn again here? It's been long enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Zartan said:

or ya know...worked on making his execution look a little more crisp and tighten up on those submissions

Same with Cena. If you were willing to suspend disbelief long enough and accept the Rock's sharpshooter and Cena's loosey goosey STF, that's your choice. That still doesn't make them not look like shit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Current hivemind trends toward needing to work in the PWG area.

Who said the Rock needed to work PWG? The criticism isn't because he wasn't an indy darling, it's because of his ugly execution. There's no hivemind that says he needed to work elsewhere to be appreciated by the IWC. My criticism of him has nothing to do with where he worked.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2