DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

4 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

As I try to reply to this post I end up thinking (perhaps for the first time) of what the kayfabe logic behind the belly to belly suplex is supposed to be.

Assuming it's thrown for impact (i.e. throw, release, then go for a hook-the-leg cover) I guess it's supposed to be that the victim has the wind knocked out of them for longer than 3 seconds and is thus unable to break a 3 count pinfall.  Obviously plausible with Yokozuna, or even Rikishi or Umaga.  Douglas and Magnum, I suppose we're supposed to buy that it's a wrestling/leverage thing, and guys who do the move all the time practice it more and thus are more precise about which part of the opponent's body drives into the mat first to knock the most wind out of them.  But boy do I feel like I'm reaching badly now.

The other way for it to work (and what I think, psychology/character wise, Bayley should be doing if physically possible) is as a hold, more so than a throw.  Trap the opponent's arms against their body (like in a bear hug), throw them, and hold on for an immediate no-release pinning combination.  "LOL socially awkward dorks always hugging people way too long/way too hard because they don't know any better/are too desperate to be friendly, of course nobody can wriggle out of Bayley glomping them to death in time."  But also, with the arms trapped against the body by the geek-strength fueled vice like hug grip of Bayley, the victim can't use them to leverage and "push" for a kick out.  Breaking contact to hook the leg frees up the victim's arms and actually makes it easy to shoot the shoulder up.  [But I suppose the reason people don't take the belly to belly with their arms trapped against their body is its easier to control the bump/protect themselves and the thrower that way.]

Add the disorienting factor of the spin before the impact to the opponent, maybe?

9 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Douglas and Magnum, I suppose we're supposed to buy that it's a wrestling/leverage thing, and guys who do the move all the time practice it more and thus are more precise about which part of the opponent's body drives into the mat first to knock the most wind out of them.  But boy do I feel like I'm reaching badly now.

Shane didn't start using the Belly to Belly as a finish until he was being pushed as Magnum's protege in WCW. So it's one of those "If Jake Roberts teaches you the DDT, yours is more effective than everyone else's" deals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Shane didn't start using the Belly to Belly as a finish until he was being pushed as Magnum's protege in WCW. So it's one of those "If Jake Roberts teaches you the DDT, yours is more effective than everyone else's" deals.

I didn't know about this and it's a fun bit of wrestling history considering Magnum in Mid-South had the same angle as being shown the kneelift as his personal deathstrike by Mr. Wrestling II. It's unfortunate that Shane wasn't the wrestler either of Magnum or II's caliber, but you can't blame them for trying. 

Watched this today. Three thoughts: Aksana is terrible as ring announcer, Antonio Cesaro's music is so bad and Cesaro's opponent is Tyson Kidd. Cesaro and Kidd would go on to form a tag team and become WWE Tag Team Champions. Both became real life friends as a result. Kidd thankfully survived a spinal cord injury from Samoa Joe, he gave a powerful interview about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Watched this today. Three thoughts: Aksana is terrible as ring announcer, Antonio Cesaro's music is so bad and Cesaro's opponent is Tyson Kidd. Cesaro and Kidd would go on to form a tag team and become WWE Tag Team Champions. Both became real life friends as a result. Kidd thankfully survived a spinal cord injury from Samoa Joe, he gave a powerful interview about it. 

The interview I referred to:

https://www.thewhig.com/entertainment/television/tj-wilson-wrestlings-comeback-kidd/amp

Some random notes from the new WON

Since it was brought up here - Sasha update

There are reports that Banks has been announced locally for a 7/22 house show in Tampa. When we asked about Banks returning soon, we were told it is “to be determined.” Banks and Vince talked a few months ago and the feeling was she’d be back by the end of the summer, but it was nothing official or is there an exact start date back at this moment. Banks was in Japan this past week training with the Sendai Girls promotion She did this on her own. Some speculate this is to get back into ring shape for her return. For contract reasons, if she’s going to wrestle, it has to be here, and they can freeze that deal forever, so the odds are strong she’s coming back unless she wants to retire. Her going to Japan to train indicates not looking at retirement

• Randy Orton is having minor neck issues again (right now he is just working through a stiffness and soreness). He had been told a few years ago that he needed neck surgery but he got a second opinion at the time that said he didn't.
  • The original plan was for R-Truth to show up at Drake Maverick's wedding in a wedding dress but Vince nixed the idea so let's not try and act like all the things Vince does now are wrong
  • Nikki Bella claimed that there was supposed to be an IIconics/Bellas program so that is why she started training which lead to her going to the doctor which lead to her finding out her neck was fucked which lead to her retiring.
  • Thanks 3

I wonder just how long they can "freeze" Sasha's contract because of past injuries and whatnot. Wouldn't that just be adding time to her contract? Or is this something completely different than what we've seen with Mysterio, in the past, and more currently, Luke Harper?

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I wonder just how long they can "freeze" Sasha's contract because of past injuries and whatnot. Wouldn't that just be adding time to her contract? Or is this something completely different than what we've seen with Mysterio, in the past, and more currently, Luke Harper?

I think it is basically one in the same - where it is a matter of semantics whether you say "freeze" or "add time"

WWE considers it "freezing" (which I am guessing their are weird business legal reasons for doing it this way)

It's basically exactly what Jack L Warner was doing as part of the studio system in 1943. If someone got suspended because they didn't agree to work on a movie he wanted them to work on, that time got tacked onto their contact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The original plan was for R-Truth to show up at Drake Maverick's wedding in a wedding dress but Vince nixed the idea so let's not try and act like all the things Vince does now are wrong

Now?
giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Cena's new gig - as was suggested - he's now part of the Fast & Furious franchise

Earn that paycheck Tyrese!

#cinemasins 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Cena's new gig - as was suggested - he's now part of the Fast & Furious franchise

Not exactly suggested. Vin Diesel in a weird and rambling Instagram video announced Cena was joining the cast about a two months or so ago. He did so by saying "Pablo," or Paul Walker as we know him, used his power from heaven above to bring Cena to the cast and then the camera panned over to show Cena standing next to Vin Diesel.

I know some of you will read that and think I'm making that up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not exactly suggested. Vin Diesel in a weird and rambling Instagram video announced Cena was joining the cast about a two months or so ago. He did so by saying "Pablo," or Paul Walker as we know him, used his power from heaven above to bring Cena to the cast and then the camera panned over to show Cena standing next to Vin Diesel.

I know some of you will read that and think I'm making that up. 

Only the part where someone voluntarily stood next to Vin Diesel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh God - those will be glorious train wrecks when they interview the good foot soldiers like Bayley who don't want to say anything that could even possibly be viewed as controversial

The look of terror on her face after the CBA question made it worth it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is such a "careful what you wish for" thing. They push so hard for the company to be seen as legitimate and mainstream, yet they'll bristle any time they brush up against something like this.

Tasty, tasty popcorn to be enjoyed in the future. 

Lol:

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2